PDA

View Full Version : Tormek T-7

Bernie Weishapl
08-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Well Friday three packages came in for me. Wasn't sure what it was but found out my son and the LOML when we were down in Richmond bought me a complete Tormek T-7 with the woodturning kit and the handtool kit. I couldn't believe it when I opened the box. Haven't had a chance to use it yet as our son and grandkids are here so you know where the priorities are. :D:p Will give a update as soon as I can use it.

Heather Thompson
08-04-2008, 1:05 PM
Bernie,

You will love it, have had my Tormek for three years, went through all kinds of sharpening methods. I still use some methods for certain aspects of sharpening, but the the Tormek is my go to machine. There is a great online forum for the Tormek, if you would like more info PM me.

Heather

Steve Schlumpf
08-04-2008, 1:26 PM
Wow Bernie! Looks like Christmas came early this year! Congrats! Looking forward to your review!

Tony De Masi
08-04-2008, 2:55 PM
Congrats Bernie, you're going to love it. Just make sure you read the book and watch the video.

Tony

Bill Bolen
08-04-2008, 4:10 PM
WTG Bernie! You will love the precision the Tormek brings to your shop. Mine is about 8 years old now and going strong!..Bill..

robert hainstock
08-04-2008, 5:36 PM
Waiting to hear your review like Steve. :)
Bob

David Walser
08-04-2008, 5:37 PM
Bernie,

You'll love your Tormek. (That's not a prediction; it's an order!) Tormek is coming out with two optional wheels for it's sharpener. A coarse wheel for quickly shaping a tool and a super-fine Japanese water stone for an even more refined edge.

I might buy the coarse stone if I ever buy a bunch of turning tools at the same time, again. It took me a several hours to shape about 10 new tools this past Spring. The coarse stone would have saved me at least half those hours. Slowness in shaping is about the only downside to a Tormek I'm aware of. The new wheel option will help in that regard.

Bernie Weishapl
08-04-2008, 5:59 PM
Thanks everyone. I can tell you this I couldn't stand seeing it sit there so I took my pocket knife and run it thru the paces. I did 3 passes on one side and 3 on the other. I honed it. I could not believe it. I have a bandaid on my thumb as proof.:mad::rolleyes:;):cool: I can't believe the time saved using a small stone and then sharpening on this thing. I cannot wait to get the turning tools on it and honed.

Gary Max
08-04-2008, 6:11 PM
Did we know that was going to happen:confused::eek::confused:

Jeff Farris
08-04-2008, 6:27 PM
Bernie,

Some quick pointers from the School of Hard Knocks, of which I am the Headmaster. :o

1. Do not make resurrecting a damaged skew your first test drive of the system.

2. If you have a bowl gouge shape that you're happy with, read the handbook on how to match an existing grind. If you're still scratching your head after reading the book, get in touch with me, either by e-mail or in this thread.

3. If you have used side grind gouges, but aren't sure exactly which profile you like best, try the bowl gouge shape found on the TTS-100 (the #4 / 55º). It is a great general purpose bowl gouge design. The TTS-100 makes set up as easy as it can possibly get.

4. That said, the detail spindle gouge profile on the TTS-100 is a rather advanced grind. The long bevel gives incredibly clean cuts, but if you come off the bevel, the catches can be adventurous. See the PDF download on the Tormek web site for several additional profiles you can get with the TTS-100, including a more forgiving spindle gouge profile.

5. Learn to use the stone grader. It is one of your new Tormek's best features. The ability to control the cutting action of the grindstone and make it do what you want it to do is a secret of the system than gets overlooked by a lot of new owners. If your stone isn't cutting fast enough to suit you, it probably needs a little attention with the coarse side of the grader.

6. When you are ready to tackle that skew, watch the turning video and notice that I do the initial shaping on a skew in the vertical position of the Universal Support. Maintenance of the shape once you have it is a little easier in the horizontal position, but initial shaping is much, much faster in the vertical position.

Those are the answers to the questions I get asked over and over -- at least the ones that spring to mind at the end of the day. I'll watch this thread to see if there's anything else you might want me to address.

Bernie Weishapl
08-04-2008, 7:54 PM
Yea Gary. You and the LOML. She said the same thing.:D:p

Jeff thanks for the info. I am sure I will have more questions as time goes on.

Wilbur Pan
08-04-2008, 9:39 PM
Hi Bernie,

You're a lucky dog! Actually, I bought a Tormek in part because my brother gave me a gift certificate which I put towards the Tormek. If I had to do it again, I'd buy the Tormek with or without the gift certificate. You're going to love it.

=====

Hi Jeff,

If you're watching this thread for questions, I'd like to sneak a couple in.

1. Are here any other differences between the T-7 and the 2006 models besides the new Square Edge Jig (SE-76)? I was looking at the website, and I can't find any other differences, but I might be missing something.

2. I use my stone grader a lot, to the point that I've dished the surface. How would you recommend reflattening it?

Jeff Farris
08-05-2008, 12:00 AM
1. Are here any other differences between the T-7 and the 2006 models besides the new Square Edge Jig (SE-76)? I was looking at the website, and I can't find any other differences, but I might be missing something.

There is little difference between a 2006 purchased from January to September 2007 and the new T-7. The late model 2006's have the improved motor isolation, micro-adjustable Universal Support, stainless steel shaft and grindstone hardware, and cast and machined horizontal base. All of those features can be added to a Tormek of any age. The T-7 comes packaged with the stone grader and diamond truing tool as standard equipment. They were optional with the 2006.

2. I use my stone grader a lot, to the point that I've dished the surface. How would you recommend reflattening it?

Don't flatten your stone grader. On the contrary, once you get the circumference of the grindstone cut into the fine side of the stone grader, it works much faster.

Ben Gastfriend
08-05-2008, 8:22 AM
Very nice gloat. Let us know how that setup works for you.

john taliaferro
08-05-2008, 8:42 AM
got mine from jeff last year ,its better than you even think. i love mine.