PDA

View Full Version : Compressing a Powerpoint File

Peter Stahl
08-04-2008, 11:48 AM
What would be the smallest that I could compress a Powerpoint Presentation? The current file is approx. 8MB. Need to be able to email it. Thanks for any help.

Tim Marks
08-04-2008, 12:48 PM
It all depends why the powerpoint is so big.

I find ppt files grow without bounds because people paste in high reolution bitmap images... a few 1 MB images later (like a screen capture), and you are in trouble.

Resize the images (and save them as jpgs), and the ppt will be a much more manageable size, and you should be able to use winzip to get it down to a reasonable size (like 500k or so).

Peter Stahl
08-04-2008, 12:52 PM
It all depends why the powerpoint is so big.

I find ppt files grow without bounds because people paste in high reolution bitmap images... a few 1 MB images later (like a screen capture), and you are in trouble.

Resize the images (and save them as jpgs), and the ppt will be a much more manageable size, and you should be able to use winzip to get it down to a reasonable size (like 500k or so).

Sounds like what it is, lots of pics. Guess I need to try a reduce the picture size. Thanks for the reply.

Jim Becker
08-04-2008, 7:20 PM
A lot of the PowerPoint "bloat" comes from the graphics that many folks use...often originally intended for print, rather than screen and web display. Once you have your graphics placed and sized, right click on any of them, select format picture --> compress and then select all picture and for web/screen display. Click OK. Once it's done, re-save the presentation, Sometimes it will be dramatically smaller; sometimes only slightly smaller.

Peter Stahl
08-05-2008, 12:32 PM
A lot of the PowerPoint "bloat" comes from the graphics that many folks use...often originally intended for print, rather than screen and web display. Once you have your graphics placed and sized, right click on any of them, select format picture --> compress and then select all picture and for web/screen display. Click OK. Once it's done, re-save the presentation, Sometimes it will be dramatically smaller; sometimes only slightly smaller.

Jim, Thanks for the reply. Will give that a try too.

David DeCristoforo
08-05-2008, 4:48 PM
Pics for screen and web viewing can be saved at 72ppi. Also, if the images are not photos but things like graphs, line art, etc., try saving them as GIFs or PNG files which are much smaller.