PDA

View Full Version : need advise on baby crib finishing

harold brock
08-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Hey All,
I have almost completed a crib for my first granson. I need some ideas and advise on what and how to finish this piece. I built it out of black walnut. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Becker
08-04-2008, 7:23 PM
You can pretty much use any finish you prefer. I happen to like shellac on black walnut as it gives a wonderful golden glow to is as the walnut ages and gets lighter in color.

Jeff Wittrock
08-04-2008, 9:10 PM
Probably a finish which is non-toxic. Especially one that won't flake when chewed on is best :).

Honestly, I would have to look myself to see what finishes are suitable. I think pure tung oil is o.k. as is raw linseed oil, but someone who has already worked with baby furniture or wood items that are used in food preparation like butcher blocks may be able to provide some better guidance.

Steve Schoene
08-04-2008, 9:47 PM
All clear finishes would be perfectly safe for this application after they have fully cured--around a month.

Since people do get agressive with cleaning on baby furniture I'd go with a good oil based varnish. Waterlox original/sealer would be good and relatively easy to apply.