PDA

View Full Version : Another hollowing system-link

Bill Bolen
08-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Found this on you tube. It is the Kobra hollowing system, another take on articulated hollowing systems. I use my home made steel snake and know that many here have the outstanding monster system. Looks interesting..Bill..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwcx-T6UnZ0&feature=related

Burt Alcantara
08-04-2008, 1:44 PM
There was a discussion a while back on the AAW site. The discussion included posts by the developers of this product. I considered getting this tool until I heard the price. It is a very robust tool but quite expensive.

I ended up going with the Monster as it was substantially less expensive and included more tools. Very happy with it.

Burt

Bill Bolen
08-04-2008, 4:12 PM
I just posted the link as a point of interest. Something a bit different in the same vein as the other articulated hollowers out there. I had not heard of this one before and have no affiliation with it..Bill..

robert hainstock
08-04-2008, 5:26 PM
Seems to be very well made. If it will outperform others is a question that comes to mind. :(
Bob

Andy Hoyt
08-04-2008, 5:28 PM
That looks sweet!

Dick Strauss
08-04-2008, 11:10 PM
IMHO the Kobra is too expensive for what it offers. It looks to be very well built but it too unnecessarily complicated to perform the hollowing task. If I were buying a system, Randy's Monster system would be at the top of my list!

FYI-I'm hearing some rumblings about possible legal action regarding the Kobra design versus other articulated designs but I don't have all of the details.

Bill Bolen
08-04-2008, 11:46 PM
Dick, I saw a short post elsewhere about the kobra and some legal/personality problems. Got to the noted post too late as it had been taken down. Now my curiosity is way up there!..Bill..

Reed Gray
08-05-2008, 1:09 AM
The post is still on Wood Central. Scroll down a bit to Monster, Kobra, et all. Apparently all has been worked out now, but it was a bit nasty, arguing about lawyers, patent infringment, "its just business", and who's on first. Didn't leave me with too good of a feeling towards Kobra, but I don't know all the facts.

As far as the system goes, the only reason I would get it over the Monster is because it can go a bit deeper. From watching the video, there was some chattering at 12 inches deep. I wouldn't get their 'goal post tool rest' as my comfort rest from Robust is just as good. I would get an adapter so I can use my McNaughton hollowing tools, and my Eliminator tools. Don't need their specialized cutters. I did this with the Monster, and like the cutters I already have better than the ones that come with it. I think the handle on the tool is interesting. It looks like there could be finger pinching problems without the handle if you have your hands on the articulated parts. I haven't had that problem with the Monster. I am happy with my Monster. Never tried the Elbo, or the Kobra. I guess I could buy all 3 to test them out, but won't use them as much as I do the coring systems.

robo hippy

Terry Quiram
08-05-2008, 6:38 AM
I have been using the smaller version of the one Al is demonstrating for just about a year. It was a little stiff when I first got it but now it is smooth as a baby's bottom. I need to talk to the guys about the laser upgrade. I really like this hollower. It is very robust and fun to use. I have made a adapter that allows me to use my Jordan hollowing tools.

Wayne Bower
08-05-2008, 9:08 AM
Bill, this is interesting. Thanks for posting this. I will watch this video again I am sure. This is a bit different than the steel snake!!!:rolleyes:

Cyril Griesbach
08-06-2008, 12:05 PM
I have the Kobra and I can tell you this. First off, I have no affiliation with the makers of this fine tool. It is precision engineered and the tolerances are very tight. Each joint rides on bearings and is adjustable for tightness. This is a STRONG tool. Making your own adapters to utilize your existing hollowing tools is a simple as drilling out some one inch rod to fit them and drilling and tapping for set screws to hold them in the adapter.

Is it expensive? Yes. Is it worth the price? For me the answer was yes but that's an individual decision. Can you get one tomorrow? Nope...there's a waiting list.

Cyril

Bernie Weishapl
08-06-2008, 7:07 PM
As Reed said you can read about it on Wood Central. It did get rather nasty and left a sour taste in my mouth about the Kobra bunch. I have both the monster tools captured and articulating arm. They are well made and stout.