PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
08-04-2008, 8:43 AM
4 Aug 2008

Good Morning and I hope that each of you are cooler than I've been. The weather with the heat and humidity has been a drain on all of us. It was a mere 103º F here yesterday, then add in the heat index. It's supposed to be even hotter today than it was yesterday!!!!! Unfortunately, BOTH of my air conditioning units in my shop are broken and it's so hot inside my shop that I've brought my glue's and finishes inside the house.

Lost power last night around 9PM and got power back after a few hours. Hmmmmm, hot outside and no power for A/C inside. I was not a happy camper.

Played bass at church yesterday, watched "Hange'em High" with Clint Eastwood with the family yesterday afternoon while taking a power nap. Looks like I'll be working on some shelved for the LOML pretty soon for all her canning stuff. She's in this thing of growing and putting up food and anything she does only helps our grocery bill be just that much cheaper.

Stay as cool as you can and take care of yourselves in this heat!

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

alex grams
08-04-2008, 8:55 AM
Mainly spent most of my weekend making drawer and door faces for the new bathroom vanity. It was a long tedious job of rail n stile construction. Though I did do some resawing and split some nice walnut stock for the door panels that will give a nice bookended pattern on the front doors.

Now to do the finish/glue up part of the doors... yay...

Peter Quadarella
08-04-2008, 8:59 AM
I was getting over a cold so I didn't do too much in the shop. I did make a strop out of some white oak and an old belt though. It works well :). I actually couldn't find a belt in my closet that was suitable, so I went to Goodwill and bought one for $0.99.

Rod Torgeson
08-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Finished filling in the trenches for my water line that I started a couple weeks ago. Everything works as planned. Much easier to water the garden and lawn now. Went for a ride on my convertible(tractor) and had a beer.

Started off the weekend with dinner and a movie with my neighbor. She fixed dinner and I brought the movie.

Dennis, I hate to tell you this but I will anyway, it was 44 degrees yesterday morning here in Appleton and is 49 degrees this morning. It does warm up during the day but not to 103.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

jeremy levine
08-04-2008, 10:20 AM
- Found that one of my 14v Ryobi battries will not charge
- My shopvacs on/off switch insisted on not shutting off
- Put some cheap-junk press board toy chests (from Target) together for the 3-year old's toys.

On the bright side fixxed the switch on the shop vac and the 3 year old LOVED helping me. "I hammer screw " , "I get 'crewdriver", "I dril hole".

Steve Clardy
08-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Ayup. Spent plenty of time burning up. Heat and almost 100% humidity makes it tough round here.
Worked on a vanity in the shop.
Made some transition strips for some folks new house. Still not finished as there's so much humidity the stain doesn't want to dry.

Did some brushing hogging on the back 40. Haven't mowed it for 2 years, and with all the rain this year, it kinda looks like a minature forest in our pasture areas.

glen box
08-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Hot Hot HHHHHot! It was 108 here sat and sun. last night I went out to the shop at 9:30 the thermo by the door said it was still 100. But my ac is able to keep it at least bearable in this kind of heat:o. I just did some maint on some eqiup. Changed out a couple of blades. packed up some more blades to send out for sharpening.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Saturday I turned some pens for my MIL.

Sunday, we relaxed and spent several hours on the internet doing some planning.

Chris Kennedy
08-04-2008, 1:24 PM
Much the same as everyone else -- hot and humid here in Tidewater.

So, I dug up 200 square feet of sod and put in garden beds. Hoped to get more of my shop walls closed in, but just didn't have the time.

Cheers,

Chris

Dewey Torres
08-04-2008, 1:41 PM
Worked more on my landscape project. I am very determined to finish!

Michael Panis
08-04-2008, 3:01 PM
Normally, when I see these "Weekend Accomplishment" posts, I just sigh. I just finished a set of bookcases that took nearly two years, so at best I could report such small progress in a weekend that it wasn't worth it, or worse--that I didn't even make it into the shop.

But this weekend I started and got more than halfway through my latest project: A piece of furniture for holding CDs, DVDs, and the stereo. Have I become that much more efficient?? No, way. My goal for this project was to build something quickly, forsaking my usual perfectionism. I ended up with a few dados with gashes, and I used 4-5 different types of wood (all from the scrap pile) without a care in the world as to how they'll look together.

I wouldn't want to do it this way all the time, or even most of the time, but I have to admit it's fun to just go into the shop and just cut wood. Plus, the next time someone asks me why it takes so long to do something right, I'll have a great example of what happens when I don't!

Tony Bilello
08-04-2008, 3:34 PM
Working offshore, sitting out T.S. Edouard. Eye was directly overhead early this morning. Not a bad storm. Light steady rain, 50 to 60 MPH winds and 12 - 14 foot seas. Thinking about woodturning when I get home.

Tony B

Justin McCurdy
08-04-2008, 3:48 PM
Tried my hand at electrolysis to clean up kiln parts for my wife, and it worked great. Used a wire wheel on my cordless drill to remove the carbon buildup afterwards and must've managed to get it in my eye because it's all puffed up today. No good deed goes unpunished I guess. I also had a chance to make an umbrella holder that attaches to my outdoor table. While rasping the circular cutout my daughter acted as a wood clamp to keep the piece from moving around, which worked great.

Jim Becker
08-04-2008, 7:35 PM
I spent my 36 hour Saturday (really...international date line came into play) with about 20 hours of butt time in an airplane seat returning from Singapore where I had been working for the week. 12 hours removed from my "normal" time zone.

Sunday, I mowed the lawn and did some weeding at the end of the driveway, took the girls to a local park for a bit and generally did nothing major. I'll be back in the shop soon...yea, that's the ticket. Soon. Soon?

Eddie Watkins
08-04-2008, 8:34 PM
I painted some bedrooms and a hall on Saturday. It was 106 Saturday and Sunday so I tried to stay indoors. Luckily, it is fairly dry here so we don't get the heat index some of you are dealing with. LOML and I went to the movies Saturday evening. Sunday we emptied out some rooms where we are going to take up and put down tile this week.

Matt Meiser
08-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Took my daughter to the Monster Truck show (she's becoming quite the fan) at the county fair Friday night. Saturday I picked up my chainsaw and tried it out, then started tearing down my "new" belt/disc sander for cleaning, repair, and painting before visiting with family for the rest of the day. Sunday more visiting, then started my work week Sunday evening.