PDA

View Full Version : Tool cabinet mounting for infill planes.

Glenn Kiso
08-04-2008, 3:26 AM
I currently use some drawers and shelves above my workbench to store my planes and chisels, but it's getting a bit disorganized and crowded. I'm about to mock up a tool cabinet and was wondering how people store their infills (Norris, Spiers, Knight, etc).

Is it acceptable to store these vertically and has anyone come up with an ingenious method of securing and allowing easy removal of infill type planes? I remember seeing Bob Key's tool cabinet and how he could easily store and remove Stanley's, LV, and LN planes, but what about infills?

Thanks
Glenn

Ryan Cathey
08-04-2008, 11:28 AM
How about cubby holes for all of your planes? Then in wouldn't make a difference what kind of plane it was.

Mark Stutz
08-04-2008, 5:39 PM
There's something just not right about this query.:confused: You are using the plueral when talking about infills!:eek: That's just not right!:D:D

Seriously, I can't think of any way to store them other than flat. I think Ryan has it. Cubbies seem to me the way to go.This has worked very well for me.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24571&highlight=plane+cabinet

I think we're going to need to see some pictures, though!

Mark

Johnny Kleso
08-04-2008, 7:45 PM
I have a protype cabinet with pidgen holes

https://home.comcast.net/~rexmill/projects/tool_cabinet/images/cabinet.jpg

I think a drawer is much better use of the space...
But a drawer 6' off the floor would not work for planes but other stuff like Routers or boxes would...

Glenn Kiso
08-05-2008, 4:20 AM
I like the cubby idea, although it won't work for my larger planes. I guess I could keep them mounted vertically as it's a bit easier than a coffin or parallel sided smoother.

Glenn

Pedro Reyes
08-05-2008, 12:48 PM
I don't have a picture, or the know how on how to post one if I did.

My plane cabinet, see if you can visualize this. A carcass with a back, about 14" deep, maybe 2' by 3-1/2'. There is a shelf about 1/3 of the way form the bottom, from the front edge of this shelf to the back edge at the top, there is an angled hinged board, so it roughly sits at an angle of 14"/2'. It is hinged so I can access the shelf behind it where I keep the less used stuff. On this board there are simple channels, the board is covered with felt and has stops at the bottom, the planes display nicely and are easily accesible.

/p