PDA

View Full Version : Any video philes here?

Craig D Peltier
08-04-2008, 12:41 AM
I burn dvd videos for my folks. Id say 30% of the dvd's roll on there machine. Then they will give it to there parents and the same thing. I do the same procedure and some work some dont.
Is it the speed the dvd spins at you think in theres or something more than that.
It never ever does that on mine. There dvd+r's
Im using Nerovision to burn.

Im thinking of just getting them my dvd player.It was like 99$.

Steve Leverich
08-04-2008, 8:03 AM
Craig, you might wanna try the "-R" disks - I burn DVD's for safety/training videos I've shot and produced for a couple of local manufacturing companies, and haven't had a prob. I also bought 6 different brands of inexpensive players to "QA" my disks before they go out, and so far none of the - R's have failed.

I don't burn at top speed rating of disks, usually at least one notch lower. I only use name branded disks, mostly TDK, Sony and Taiyo Yuden. If you're gonna print direct on the disk, the Taiyo Yuden "water shield" disks look best.

Reason I started with the -R is that at one time (may still be) the - disks played in about 70-80% of players, while the + disks were typically around 40-50% - I've yet to use a + disk because I don't fight success.

Hope this helps... Steve

Oh, I read somewhere that older players sometimes don't like burned disks, ESPECIALLY re-writables - lower reflectivity than commercially stamped disks was the reason given. So if your folks' player is more than a few years old, that could also be the problem. But it's cheaper to switch to the -R disks for a test.

Peter Stahl
08-04-2008, 10:01 AM
I also use the -R's and haven't heard anyone say they couldn't view one. I use mostly Taiyo Yuden but have used Sony too. I buy my Taiyo Yuden from SuperMediaStore.com. Give the -R's a try and also you might want to try a slower speed.

Craig D Peltier
08-04-2008, 9:22 PM
Craig, you might wanna try the "-R" disks - I burn DVD's for safety/training videos I've shot and produced for a couple of local manufacturing companies, and haven't had a prob. I also bought 6 different brands of inexpensive players to "QA" my disks before they go out, and so far none of the - R's have failed.

I don't burn at top speed rating of disks, usually at least one notch lower. I only use name branded disks, mostly TDK, Sony and Taiyo Yuden. If you're gonna print direct on the disk, the Taiyo Yuden "water shield" disks look best.

Reason I started with the -R is that at one time (may still be) the - disks played in about 70-80% of players, while the + disks were typically around 40-50% - I've yet to use a + disk because I don't fight success.

Hope this helps... Steve

Oh, I read somewhere that older players sometimes don't like burned disks, ESPECIALLY re-writables - lower reflectivity than commercially stamped disks was the reason given. So if your folks' player is more than a few years old, that could also be the problem. But it's cheaper to switch to the -R disks for a test.

I have about 125 + rs here figures, when I want to try something new.I will next time I need some. In the meantime maybe thye will get a newer player.
Thanks

Dave Lehnert
08-04-2008, 9:58 PM
I use to sell DVD recorders and players. Most customers did not understand that there are many disk formats available. DVD+, DVD-, DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD +RW, DVD-RW. If you record your disk on a DVD+ player it will not play on a DVD-. The same thing as the old Bata vs VHS battle. The good news is most new players recorders are multi format so one format will work in the other.

Neal Clayton
08-04-2008, 10:08 PM
there was a format war of sorts when burnable DVDs came out, as most are aware, and -R was the 'offical' format supported by the DVD consortium. but in this day and age the quality of the media matters more, most any player should play both.

when they first came out the best disks anyone could find were Ritek G0x disks, which were re-braned by a number of companies but basically the same. those burned at 1x would play in virtually anything. here of late i've heard that Ritek has gone to a cheaper media and they're not as good any more, people tend to prefer Taiyo Yuden last time i checked.

here (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/) is a forum with more info than the average person would ever need on CD/DVD media.

Russ Filtz
08-08-2008, 7:06 AM
And I think the TY disks come from different plants too. The best are made in Japan, natch!

Joe Chritz
08-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Progressive scan machines play more disks. My understanding is there wasn't a lot of uniformity in disks when the DVD technology was being developed. If I had to guess I would say it is the machine they are being played on.

I used to have a machine that would play some manufactures disks but not others. Same burner, programing, files and the whole thing.

Joe