PDA

View Full Version : Schlumpf Vac Modified

Jim Evans
08-03-2008, 10:10 PM
My vac system is up and working!
Steve graciously sent me his write up and I followed most of his advice on the connections, etc. I did change a few things though.
I don't have a lot of storage room so my system will sit on the floor for now. I would like to build a better enclosure to keep the dust out of the vac, but for now I wanted to see if I could get running.

The black pole is from our recently broken garage door opener. I wanted the control and gauge up high so I could adjust the pressure easily. I also ran all the wires and hose up the pole to the "control" area.

Tom Steyer built the adapter that goes into the lathe. Works great and is very easy to use.

I ended up buying some parts from McMaster Carr - they have everything, it's just hard to find and you have to know what you are looking for. I got the gauge and the small filter that is next to the valve.

I also made two different types of chucks. One I tapped the hole and it threaded directly onto the lathe. The other I used one of Don Pencils aluminum face plates. I bought some blemished ones directly from his website.

I'm having "issues" with the images - hope this one works.

Steve Schlumpf
08-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Jim - glad to see you got everything hooked up and running! It is a fun little project and you are going to love having the option when it comes to finishing off the bottoms of bowls! Have fun with it and make sure you don't overdo the vacuum when you finish your first bowls. I usually keep mine around 20 hg and the bowls are locked in solid!

Your system looks great! Looking forward to seeing some of the turnings that come off of it!

Jim Evans
08-03-2008, 10:46 PM
I have to learn to take better pictures - and post them correctly first!
Thanks

David Walser
08-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Jim,

That looks like a very nice set up. Does Tom Steyer have a website? His adapter looks nice.

Bernie Weishapl
08-03-2008, 11:23 PM
Congrats on getting it setup. It looks like a very nice system.

robert hainstock
08-04-2008, 7:35 AM
I got to use Steve's vacchk recently and sure wish I had one. My advise to "newbies" Is to use the tool rest up close to center the turning. Sort of trial and error. turn the piece by hand, and note the high spot. Then adjust the turning away from that high. I'm no good at explaining these things, but it will come to you. :)
Bob

Jim Evans
08-04-2008, 7:49 AM
Jim,

That looks like a very nice set up. Does Tom Steyer have a website? His adapter looks nice.

I don't believe Tom has a website - I communicated with him via email - his email is vacuumadapters(at)cox.net.