PDA

View Full Version : A Bin With A View

Jim Becker
04-28-2004, 9:52 PM
From time to time in various forums I've mentioned putting a "window" in the cyclone bin to better see it's "fill state". Overfilling makes for nasty cleanup in the filters, etc. Unfortunately, I didn't have a good photo available previously of this idea that I've been using for a few years. Since I recently installed one for the upgraded cyclone, I was able to snap the shot below. If you use a cyclone, I hearily recommend you consider fabricating one of these for your own system. All it takes is a small piece of 1/4" Lexan or Plexiglas, some sealant and some small bolts, nuts and washers. (It must be fully sealed to avoid other problems!)

Frank Pellow
04-28-2004, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the tip Jim. I have filed it away under the list of things to be considered when I build my system.

Tyler Howell
04-28-2004, 10:56 PM
Are you sure you're not a Harley Rider??
Thanks Jim. Like Frank that one goes in the file.;)

John Miliunas
04-28-2004, 11:19 PM
Neat idea, Jim! I remember you mentioning something about it before you "volunteered" to clean the runs on your last system. :rolleyes: But, I'm wondering if that doesn't get coated with dust, making it hard to actually see how much dust you have in there? Also, how big a window is it? :cool:

Jim Becker
04-29-2004, 8:26 AM
I'm wondering if that doesn't get coated with dust, making it hard to actually see how much dust you have in there? Also, how big a window is it?
This window is about 3" x 5"...slightly smaller than the one I had on the 1/15hp unit. The reason for that is the 2hp Commercial cyclone has a larger 9" drop tube, resulting in less room for the window.

Surprisingly, the window doesn't get coated with dust too much and it only takes a swipe of your hand to deal with that while you're emptying the bin.

John Miliunas
04-29-2004, 8:30 AM
This window is about 3" x 5"...slightly smaller than the one I had on the 1/15hp unit. The reason for that is the 2hp Commercial cyclone has a larger 9" drop tube, resulting in less room for the window.

Surprisingly, the window doesn't get coated with dust too much and it only takes a swipe of your hand to deal with that while you're emptying the bin.

Thanks for the details, Jim! Good info. :) With tons of jointing/planing in store for me, I think I may just go ahead and do that mod first to hopefully avoid *having* to clear my ductwork! :cool:

Mark Singer
04-29-2004, 9:50 AM
Jim,
If you don't have a patent, I will do the same thing to mine....I hate taking the top off if its not time or too late! Thanks

Jim Becker
04-29-2004, 9:53 AM
If you don't have a patent, I will do the same thing to mine....I hate taking the top off if its not time or too late! Thanks
LOL! Windows have been around for a long time...and besides, MSNBC.com says that the US Patent Office is hopelessly backloged. :p Seriously, I have shared this with Oneida previously in hopes they would make it "standard" on the bins.