PDA

View Full Version : Anyone make a good electric hedge trimmer

John Weber
04-28-2004, 9:47 PM
The subject says it all, does anyone make a good electric hedge trimmer? SWMBO asked for one, because if she asked me to trim them, I would pull out the chainsaw, I guess she is tried of her using the manual trimmer, or me butchering with the saw.

John

David Klug
04-29-2004, 12:45 AM
I've got an old BD that I use once in a blue moon. I use it on bottle brush and oleanders. I works ok on the smaller branches.

DK

Rob Russell
04-29-2004, 7:58 AM
We've used a B&D trimmer for years at our summer cottage to whack back the hedges and I've had a couple different styles for the forsythia that we used to have in our yard. I'd actually say look for a used one at a tag sale. If you're lucky, you'll find an older B&D with a metal case (like what we have for the cottage).

There are 2 things to look for in a trimmer.

1) Double sided blade
2) Pigtail style electrical attachment - not the "extension cord plugs right into the base of the trimmer" type. With the little pigtail, you can tie a loose overhand knot with the pigtail/x-cord so they don't pull apart. My experience with the "plug into the base" was that the cord tends to come out, even with the cord lock they think will keep the cord attached.

Just so you know, Stihl makes a nice trimmer that has swapable heads. One of them is a hedge trimmer head. New power tool - and it's for her!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Rob

Matt Meiser
04-29-2004, 8:10 AM
I also have an old black and decker which works good enough. I actually have two - $1 each at two different garage sales. I agree with Rob's comment about the pigtail cord. Mine is the cord-into-base type and it falls out regularly, but who can complain for $1?

Chris Padilla
04-29-2004, 9:59 AM
B&D Hedgehog is what I have...from the Borg. It does not have a pigtail but it does have a mechanism for keeping the cord in. Works okay but the cord, unless it fits snug, does work its way out.

I have plenty of hedges to trim and it does a fine job.

Mark Rios
04-29-2004, 10:22 AM
This one shows to be well rated on Amazon: "Black & Decker HT2000 20" Hedge Trimmer" and it sells for $49.99.

Arvin Brown
04-30-2004, 8:19 AM
I purchased an Echo gas model a couple years back. Wouldn't have anything else. I had an electric weed waker one time and that was the last electric yard tool I've bought. Ever since - gas!!!

Dennis Peacock
04-30-2004, 10:51 AM
I'm with you John.....EXCEPT......

Last year I trimmed up our hedge row on one side of our property. It was really, really simple......

I used 2 gallons of kerosene and a match.!!!! :eek:

Worked so well that I'm going to trim them up at the end of this year the same way.....Almost pulled a muscle striking the match..! :D

Dan Mages
05-02-2004, 12:14 AM
Ditto here. I have a B&D hedgehog. It does a good job on them bushes in the back yard.

Dan