PDA

View Full Version : Getting A Little Antsy...

Chuck Tringo
08-03-2008, 4:59 PM
So, my shop (read - garage), as it once was, has been shut down and turned into the storage area for stuff we have packed in preparation for the move. I still have over a week before I begin driving, 5-6 days on the road in the RV, plus however long it takes for us to find a place to rent then have the government deliver our stuff; I'm figuring minimum one month from now, probably more, before I can even think about making sawdust again. and its KILLING me :mad:...I find myself going out there and just staring at what once was my haven from everything else :( What makes it worse is knowing that this next stop is only temporary and within 6 months I will be moving again to wherever Uncle Sam decides is best for me...then I get to do it all over. Anyways, I thought I would share with you all some pictures of my dismay, I just wish I got a few before I shut down so I could reminisce...

my 2 best friends up front, my proshop and zipcode bandsaw, hidden behind is my workbench among other things....

a view of the garage from the side, tools and boxes and furniture, oh my !

the other side of the garage, with my HF DP hiding behind some....stuff, and a few of my wife's paintings

Joe Cunningham
08-03-2008, 5:15 PM
Maybe get a few small hand tools, and make something simple using some 4S4 lumber.

A dozuki, a single chisel, mallet, and a B&D workmate--make some handcut dovetail boxes. Small toolkit, but you can still 'escape' into your hobby. At least that is the way I started in this hobby.

Dewey Torres
08-04-2008, 2:40 AM
Go get some veneer and some craft knives..book on marquetry and get started. You can do this stuff on the kitchen table now and incorporate into your next project.

Chuck Tringo
08-04-2008, 8:31 AM
Both sound like good ideas, I doubt ill get started before I leave but I can definitely get a book to read up on for the drive (at night not while on the road :p) and have something to do until the tools arrive. Marquetry may be a little above my skill dexterity level at the moment, but a little practice couldnt hurt. :)