PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good way to brainstorm with clients?

Andy Pratt
08-03-2008, 4:50 PM
I'm looking to develop a more professional way of reviewing ideas and deciding on design with potential clients, and was looking for input from those of you that have found successful techniques.

What I've sort of settled on so far is to make up a nice binder that gives an overview of some major style types I can do, then follow-on pages that deal with joinery methods, finishes and functional design features.

My thought on this is that it would allow a client to pick a style, then continue flipping through as we discuss the details in turn. The pictures/descriptions would help move ideas along and keep me from forgetting to offer certain things, as well as keeping new ideas within the realm of what I'm capable of doing.

Do you see any issues with this idea, or any things I should make sure to include if you think it will work?

Thanks,
Andy

Jamie Buxton
08-03-2008, 6:12 PM
If you start your conversation at style, you've skipped over what's a bigger issue for me: what is the piece of furniture? Is it a table, a couch, a desk, a bed, what?

I generally start with the functional issues. What is the piece? What are the major dimensions? Are there special things it does -- like change shape, or be child-resistant, or the like? Only after I get these questions answered do I go on to style and appearance.

A portfolio helps the discussion. Often we may be looking at design books, furniture catalogs, and magazines. When I'm working with those sources, I'm not looking for pieces to copy. Instead, I'm trying to understand the clients' likes and dislikes.

I find a sketchpad is useful. As follow-up to the face-to-face conversation, I make perspective drawings (with sketchup), so that I'm sure the customer and I are on the same page.

I mostly work with wood with an uncolored finish. A whole bunch of samples is quite useful.