PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on installing planer cast extension wings?

Lewis Cobb
08-03-2008, 1:43 PM
I've been fiddling for about 2 hours and can't seem to get them flush and level - ther're close but "no cigar" as they say. Seems like it's an interative process, when you think you have it right with the set screws, clamping down the bolts throws the level off a bit.

Thanks for any tips or tricks others might know about :)

Lewis

Rick Fisher
08-03-2008, 2:41 PM
Hey Lewis.

I set my wings up high, about an 1/16". Tightened the screws so they would just hold and tapped it with a hammer. Then I tightened a bit and tapped some more.

I used a plastic faced assembly hammer and a piece of 3/4" plywood over the seam, hit the plywood on the base portion, not the wing. it will show you when its flush..

Lewis Cobb
08-03-2008, 4:26 PM
Hey Lewis.

I set my wings up high, about an 1/16". Tightened the screws so they would just hold and tapped it with a hammer. Then I tightened a bit and tapped some more.

I used a plastic faced assembly hammer and a piece of 3/4" plywood over the seam, hit the plywood on the base portion, not the wing. it will show you when its flush..

Hi Rick -
ok - heading out to the shop in a few minutes for another "session" - will give your approach a try.

Lewis

Lewis Cobb
08-03-2008, 7:47 PM
Hey Lewis.

Rick - another 3 hour seige and I think I got it. A bit of tapping, tweaking the grub screws, the bolts, check the level, check the flush, back again etc. etc. I was getting pretty fed up with it there for a while, but started to see a little bit of progress and got my second wind. Those grub screws are very sensitive - a slight tweak and it's off.

I'll be cussing if I discover that the ruler I was using for a straightedge ain't straight, but I'm pretty sure it is.

Thanks for the help. I hope this planer is more fun to use than it is to adjust these extensions !

Lewis

Bruce Page
08-03-2008, 11:38 PM
Lewis, I found that it wasn’t all that critical on my PM15. After MUCH fiddiling, I ended up jacking up the outside edge of both infeed & outfeed tables about 1/16”.

Besides, it’ll change the first time you drop a heavy board on to it anyway. DAMHIKT!

Terry Sparks
08-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Clamp a hardwood/metal block on top of, and across the joint between the table and the wing, bring them both to level, then tighten the bolts that hold it in place.