PDA

View Full Version : Need Compressor Recommendation

Steve Mellott
08-03-2008, 1:42 PM
I recently bought the 3 Senco nail gun kit that was offered at Home Depot. It includes a finish nailer, a brad nailer and a stapler. Can someone please recommend an electric compressor that would be good for furniture and cabinet making in a home shop? Thanks.

Chuck Tringo
08-03-2008, 2:31 PM
I have had one of these Hitachi Pancakes for almost 2 years and it does everything I ask of it and more.

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-EC79-Horsepower-Oil-Free-Compressor/dp/B000EPUOPM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1217788215&sr=1-3

Prashun Patel
08-03-2008, 2:39 PM
If I could do it again, I'd get the Makita 2HP Hotdog (MAC700). It's an oiled compressor and is very quiet so it's perfect for home use and light enough to maneuver and handle finish nail work.

Burt Alcantara
08-03-2008, 2:46 PM
I've got the Makita MAC2400. I use it for brad gun, impact hammer, airbrush and vacuum system. I can't say if it's noisy or quiet as I have nothing to compare it to but the noise does not bother me and the unit is usually just a few feet away.

I've had it for about 6 months and have no issues. I only wish I would have bought a larger unit.

As you can see in the following customer reviews, most were very happy.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-MAC2400-Horsepower-4-2-Gallon-Compressor/dp/B0001Q2VPK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1217788986&sr=8-1

Burt

glen box
08-03-2008, 3:30 PM
Right now a simple 3gl pancake will do. Relatively speaking they are cheap and low maint.

However a larger oil lubed compressor will last longer and be a little quieter also it will allow for using bigger air tools in the future. Tools like sanders and impact guns need at least a 60gl compressor. An upright commpessor really does not take up much realestate in a shop, Only about 4 sq ft.

At the moment I have a 3gl pancake. Which I bought 2yrs ago. I wish I had bought a bigger one then.:mad:

William OConnell
08-03-2008, 3:44 PM
Hers the one we use for site work. I have 2 of these and am really happy with them. One went in for service after 2 years of hard site work ( framing large houses etc.)
Out of all the poratbles Ive owned ( and there have been over a dozen) These seem to take the work the best, The wheels don't hurt and the on board fitting storage is nice.
Ive done spraying with these also, it's not like my shop compressor but it kept up nicely.
http://www.amazon.com/Makita-MAC5200-Horsepower-Wheeled-Compressor/dp/B0001Q2VPU/ref=pd_cp_hi_3?pf_rd_p=413863601&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0001Q2VPK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1S2D8G1K2HTEYX5T5191

Gene Michael
08-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Go for a compressor with an oiled piston assembly. My oiless Porter Cable lasted aout two years. That's not long for a tool pushing $200! Porter Cable hasn't answered any of my e-mails regarding replacement parts, so they're not too hot on customer service either. I've heard many comments and compliments on SMC about various compressors. Try doing a search and you should get volumes of opinions. :D

Danny Thompson
08-04-2008, 11:06 AM
My Porter Cable Oil-free Pancake died in a year. I have a local repair shop, but it was going to cost over $50 just to get it evaluated.

I went with a Dewalt hot-dog style, because I thought it had enough CFM to drive an HVLP sprayer, too, but no.

Now I wish I had gone with a larger Husky for the BORG. One that would really support HVLP.

That said, if you don't anticipate spraying, then a hot-dog is more than enough, and portable.