PDA

View Full Version : Inlay in solid wood ?????

Dave Tinley
08-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Could you kind folks please share with me your methods for doing inlay in solid wood??

Most specifically, different shapes, like ovals, triangles etc.
I have the inlay kit where you route the recess with the collar on, then remove the collar and route the inlay piece, problem with this is I am doing some small (2") ovals and triangle and even tho I cut my template to account for the collar, it doesnt get into the corners.

I also tried drawing the shape, using a router and an 1/8" bit to remove most of the waste, then a chisel to clean up the edges, and what I have left resembles a football that has been chewed up by a dog :(

And just to give more info, I am trying some Stickly arts&crafts inlays in white oak.

Thanks
Dave

Mitchell Andrus
08-03-2008, 1:41 PM
I have a solution for you.

Via PM.

pat warner
08-03-2008, 4:08 PM
Nearly any shape (http://patwarner.com/images/fish.jpg)possible, through, blind or whatever. Joinery along with sinuous shape also a possiblity.
See FWW no.75 for one approach.

Frank Drew
08-03-2008, 5:32 PM
Dave,

I'd rout most of the recess, as you did, and then carefully cut away the rest with chisels and maybe a fine knife; practice makes perfect. If it was easy everyone would do it. :D

Bob Coleman
08-03-2008, 5:34 PM
I like to do it all by hand:

Tape the inlay piece in place using double sided tape. I like carpet tape.

Scribe around it with a marking knife. If the inlay is solid wood, i recommend slightly tapering the inlay. This doesn't work so well with a marquetry inlay as in the photo.

Pop off the inlay and chop out the wood using a routing plane, staying safely away from the knife line. Then creep up on the scribed line using chisels/gouges. After you have cut up to the line, carefully go back with the router to ensure the relieved area is flat.

Then just glue it in!

I hope this helps
Bob

Dewey Torres
08-04-2008, 2:25 AM
Bob gave you the best advice. Only you don't have to use a router plane, you can use a router instead... Bosch Colt preferred. Anytime you scribe around your inly piece first, when you rout close to the line, the wood will give right where you scribed, provided your scribed deep enough.

Alway leave the inlay proud and scrape or sand flush with the piece. Never in reverse.

Dewey Torres
08-04-2008, 2:26 AM
Bob,
Nice work and advice!