PDA

View Full Version : urgent finishing question

Ron Oastler
08-03-2008, 12:34 PM
:confused::confused::confused: I am working on a super figured 18" silver maple bowl, I have sanded to 2000 and have applied one coat of minwax tung oil (I usually leave it on for about 60 seconds and then wipe it off, I was adding the second coat this morning and had just applied it when the doorbell rang, I went to answer it and forgopt about the bowl, I came back about 15 minutes later and thought I could just wipe it down, :( mistake on my part, I have a few tiny little lines now, can I just add another coat of the minwax or do I need to resand at the 2000 level and then do the minwax or is there another way, thanks in advance Ron the forgetful one in Kingston

Jim Becker
08-03-2008, 12:42 PM
The Minwax Tung Oil Finish product is not "tung oil"...it's a wiping varnish. In fact, it has no tung oil in it. You must wipe it down immediately as you build your finish. You'll need to re-sand to knock down the lines.

Richard A. Rivera, M.D.
08-03-2008, 1:07 PM
I have done this before.

You can also use a rag with a solvent, i have used acetone, and wipe and work over the bowel where the lines are and feather the edges, sand lightly then continue with finish.

Steve Schlumpf
08-03-2008, 1:08 PM
I agree with Jim. If the bowl was dry and you had ridges left on the surface - your only option is to lightly sand the ridge area level and reapply the Minwax.

robert hainstock
08-03-2008, 1:41 PM
You might try a wipe down with "Furniture refinisher" available at Ace hardware. It will smooth and maybe remove most of the uneveness. No sanding needed. :eek::):)
Bob

Ron Oastler
08-04-2008, 3:57 PM
thanks for all the help and advice, i went the sanding route and the piece looks realy good , will post a phot once I am done, again thanks
Ron in Kingston:)

Frank Kobilsek
08-04-2008, 4:59 PM
Ron,

Sanding to 2000 is excessive. Let me suggest on your next piece of similar material you stop sanding at 400 or even 600 then use the same finish. Then compare the two pieces, I doubt you be able to tell the difference. With that finish I suspect most guys would stop sanding at 320 but I don't want you to go cold turkey and end up in sanding detox.

Frank