PDA

View Full Version : bowl #3 - simple cherry

Terry Achey
08-03-2008, 10:45 AM
I finally made time between other proejcts to complete bowl #3 (over a six month period:D). Nothing special but I'm learning alot about what not to do along the way. I won't even tell you how big this cherry blank started at :eek:.

The bowl is 7" by 1 1/2" with about a 1/8" rim.

Steve Schlumpf
08-03-2008, 1:11 PM
Good looking bowl Terry! Nice form and finish! It was well worth the wait!

Bill Bolen
08-03-2008, 4:35 PM
You will be giving bowl turning lessons soon! The form on both looks great and the finish is quite well done also.WTG...Bill...

Greg Just
08-03-2008, 9:36 PM
Very nice - What is the finish you used? I have a lot of cherry from a fallen tree and I have been trying different finishes

Terry Achey
08-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Very nice - What is the finish you used? I have a lot of cherry from a fallen tree and I have been trying different finishes

Greg,
I sanded the bowls down to 320 grit and then I used two applications of Watco Danish Oil. Then, buffed with the Beall system following their simple directions for tripoli, white diamond and finally a light buff with carnuba wax. I used there 3" bowl buffs for the first time and they worked nicely for getting into the smaller size bowl.

This is essentially the finishing method Bill Grumbine uses on his training video. I like it. Simple and easy. I may give Minwax antique oil a try in the near future, too.

Thanks for the nice comments, guys.

Terry

Bernie Weishapl
08-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Terry the bowl is a beauty. Form and finish are great. Well done.

Dewey Torres
08-04-2008, 1:38 AM
Slick:cool:

robert hainstock
08-04-2008, 6:48 AM
Sometimes it takes a while to get something right, and you definately did here. :):)
Bob