PDA

View Full Version : Multiples of tools - who does who doesn't?

Rich Engelhardt
08-03-2008, 8:20 AM
Hello,
A recent thread got me wondering about this.

Who else has multiples of essentially the same tool?

I have:
4- routers
3 - Rotary tools - 2 Dremels and a RotoZip.
4 - CMS - one of which is a SCMS.
2- Table Saws
Lord only knows - corded & cordless drills/drivers (maybe 8?)
3 -18 ga brad nailers.
2 - compressors.
A bunch of - 10", "generic" saw blades (2x and 40 tooth - Irwin, B&D, etc. - ones I pick up because I tell myself "the price is right".)
3 - Circular saws
3 - Reciprocating saws
2 - Router tables

Each one does at least something or has some feature different, but nothing that really couldn't be overcome by using one of the others.
(the only exception is the pair of DeWalt 18V drills - both are the same, but the price of the second one was less than the price of a battery and charger).

Odd or not?

Randal Stevenson
08-03-2008, 8:44 AM
I would think fairly common to anyone who either works at multiple locations, does lots of work, or has been at stuff quite a while.

5 routers
1 Dremel and 1 Rotozip
1 CMS, and currently two Radial arm saws
1 Table saw, and a couple of EZ systems
No framing or roofing nailer, but 1 of just about every other kind
3 compressors (1 pancake, 1, 20 gallon and 1, 60 gallon)
Multiple circular saws (several set up for EZ)
3 reciprocating saws
ETC.

Some stuff has been inherited/given to me by friends with deceased relatives. Some stuff bought and used at multiple locations (brothers farm, work, brother in laws, or the parents house). The real downside for me right now is so much of it right now feels like clutter. Not too much time, and I need to clean and reorganize the shop, then get rid of some duplicates and put that money back in the material (hopefully NOT the tool) fund!

I didn't even want to face drills;)

steve reeves
08-03-2008, 8:50 AM
Rich your list is amazingly close to my own.... I sometimes feel "guilty" that I really have too many redundant tools.

I had at one time 6 routers, 3 router tables, 3 table saws (one was portable) 6 rotary tools 7 or 8 drills, maybe 8 sanders, 5 grinders.....

I thought I was doing a "good thing" and donated several hundred pounds of perfectly good power tools to the local trade school who was always complaining about not having enough money to supply all the students with "common" power tools for class.... guess what? Almost everything I donated to them ended up on craigslist...

Seems the issue was with the instructor, not the funding.... turned out he had the students making projects that he was then selling on his own and the school was buying all the premium materials that went into those projects.

No good deed goes unpunished! LOL

Back on topic, I'd be surprised if many on this board are not in the same situation... "how did I end up with all this stuff?" LOL

Bob Noles
08-03-2008, 10:03 AM
I have worked hard to keep my tool duplication at a minimum, but I must confees that I do have 2 bandsaws and 2 routers :D

Jamie Buxton
08-03-2008, 10:38 AM
The only duplicates I have is a stash of a half-dozen decimal-inch tape measures. I worry that some day Lee Valley will stop selling them. If I had to go back to using fractional inches, my brain would fry.

Peter Kuhlman
08-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Don't you all know that he who dies with the most routers wins????
10 routers and growing
3 impact drivers
5 drills
3 circle saws
2 Sawzalls
2 router lifts
2 jig saws
3 Arrow staplers
5 various rotary tools

I am sure there is more duplication buried in there somewhere!

Tony Bilello
08-03-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm still putting my shop together, so not too many duplicates yet. When building furniture in a one man shop, having duplicate tools is important so as to keep the settings. A spare table saw to keep the dado blade in, several routers to keep the same edge and several drills.

Tony B

Brian Penning
08-03-2008, 11:27 AM
LOL...I think some of you guys need help...
My name is XXXX and I'm a Toolaholic...

Jack Camillo
08-03-2008, 1:06 PM
I bought a box of screwdrivers at an auction for 3 dollars. Because I wanted the stanley 750 chisel in the box (with other old chisels, not as well-regarded). So, I have about 40 screwdrives of all sizes.

Chuck Tringo
08-03-2008, 1:15 PM
I used to be really bad, but in preparation for the upcoming move, I ebayed a bunch of extra stuff, actually made over 1k from all of the extra junk....errr stuff....ummm tools I sold. So now Im looking for my next purchase :D I still do have...

3 routers (1 combo base kit, 1 in RT, 1 laminate trimmer)
2 miter saws (12 inch and 7 1/4 for easy jobsite stuff)
3 Drill/Drivers
3 shop vacs (1 corded, 2 cordless)
2 Rotary tools

Jim Becker
08-03-2008, 1:27 PM
There are certain tools where multiple can be very convenient...routers, drill/drivers, nailers, etc., depending on how you work. I see no harm in this and in fact, take advantage of it often.

Ron Dunn
08-03-2008, 6:46 PM
Couldn't do it. Nothing wrong/illegal/immoral about it - who am I to dictate what tools someone can buy? - but each tool I own represents money that wasn't spent on my wife and children.

Duplicating tools is a luxury I can't afford. If I do have spare money for woodworking I'd rather spend it on a project - ie, better wood, better hardware, etc.

Since I'm just a hobbyist, taking a bit of time to re-configure a tool means very little to me.

Jesse Cloud
08-04-2008, 10:55 AM
I try really hard to keep the shop inventory lean, just to have room to turn around in. I sell anything that I haven't used in a year.

Having said that, I use some tools enough to justify duplicates or specialized versions, e.g.

5 routers (one dedicated to a table, one to a jig, a lam trimmer, and a mid sized and large handheld)

6 sanders (drum sander, belt/disc combo, linear sander, finish sander, detail sander, aggressive sander)

3 drills (two cordless, one high speed corded), not counting the drill press

handsaws without number, countless handplanes, legions of scrapers, and on and on....

My experience is just the opposite from the hobbyist above. I'm trying to squeeze in time for woodworking and if two tools will save time, then its a bargain. Life is short, buying time is a good thing!

Only downside is that each tool requires maintenance.

Steve Clardy
08-04-2008, 11:09 AM
I have lots of multiples :rolleyes::D

Chris Kennedy
08-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Some tools you just have to have multiples of, IMO. Drill/drivers is the first that comes to mind. I have two drivers and a corded drill. I also have two routers -- one was a gift and then the other is an upgrade because the original didn't have a 1/2" collet. There is no such thing as too many clamps and no such thing as too many tape measures.

Other than those, if I have a duplicate it is in name alone (I have five planes, but they are all different types). I don't have the space to duplicate anything big.

Cheers,

Chris

Brian Coe
08-04-2008, 12:06 PM
You don't need to worry until you get at least 1/2 doz. of something, and that doesn't count the small stuff like drills, routers, planes, etc. Once you start getting to double digits on stationary power tools of the same thing, then it's time to worry...I know, I speak from experience! :eek: Always remember the 12 ft. rule, that any workshop needs an additional 12 ft. added in length each year to accomodate the acquired tools and/or projects.

Change tools, not tooling.

John Holder
08-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Had to chime in with my multiples list
2-CMS (1 sliding)
2-Compressors 1trailered 30gal gas 1 60gal for the light stuff at the house
19-Drills (2 of them cordless)and if you count the drillpress
2-bradnailers (1 for each hand)
2-Circular saws
3-Jig saws
5-Welders(1MIG,2Stick,2Tig) and the oxy-ace set
I cant count my hammers 25+
2-Dremmels
2-Bandsaws
3-Roofing nailers
3-Routers but 1 is in the table
2-impact wrenches

that all I can come up with for now

Ed Breen
08-04-2008, 1:57 PM
I have ended up with a few doubles or more!
2 drill presses
2 band saws
4 table saws
2 planers
5 pneumatic staplers/brads
3 electric staplers
3 nail guns
about 10 tailed drills.
5 battery powered drills
6 routers
2 jointers
and a lot more multiples I can't count.
I've got 79 years of buying and collecting plus my FIL's 82 years of the same. he was a finish carpenter.
I need a yard sale but its tough when you live rural.
Ed:confused::confused:

glenn bradley
08-04-2008, 2:24 PM
:DYou are a terrible man to bring these shortcomings into the light:D

2 - Tablesaws
2 - Bandsaws
2 - Drill presses
6 - routers
3 - circ saws
3 - cordless drills
2 - corded drills oops, 3 corded drills
2 - jigsaws
2 - Shop vacs

If I take a moment, I'll think of more dups . . . Alright, alright, hold on a minute now; I've only got 1 DC, 1 CMS, 1 of alot of other things, 1 workbench (but 2 vises), wait . . . 2 workbenches and four vises OMG this is madness! Its too cruel!

Oh wait . . . I only have 1 clamp . . . . Boowha-ha-ha-ha.

Noah Levy
08-04-2008, 3:16 PM
Well, I have 2 Delta 14" band saws, a 16" Walker Turner band saw, a 20" Minimax bandsaw, a 6" Ridgid jointer, an 8" Delta jointer, a 12" Minimax jointer, planers in 13" and 16" (Sheelix), a cabinet saw and a euro sliding saw and about a zillion routers and drills...

I'm really not sure how it happened but the original idea was to have the ability to cut curvy stuff and resaw with two band saws and joint laminations on the 6" with carbide blades, leaving the larger jointer for surfacing.

I admit there isn't a deal nor old iron that I can pass up...

Art Moore
08-05-2008, 4:59 AM
Most of my multiple power tools are the typical ones: 4 routers (fixed in table, plunge router, laminate trimmer, laminate "permanently" mounted to circle jig), 2 circ saws (corded and cordless), 7 hand drills (corded, 3 cordless, 2 right angle, 1/2" hammer), 2 drill presses, and 2 table saws (the original BT3100 and the upgrade TS3650).

Hand tools? Multiples upon multiples of clamps, hammers, wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, etc., etc., ad nauseum.

I subscribe to the theory that you need the appropriate tool to do the job well. Try having a career in electronics, and (too many) hobbies in woodworking, photography, firearms collecting, and marine aquaria... specialized tools and equipment pile up in a hurry (as the dollars wave bye-bye)! :D

Rich Engelhardt
08-05-2008, 7:51 AM
Hello,
OMG - I forgot about the 3 shop vac's until Glenn reminded me!
:D

John Eaton
08-05-2008, 9:55 AM
I hate to even admit to what I have - note that a lot of these are vintage tools in need of refurbishment that were rescued in some fashion:

3 Tablesaws
2 Bandsaws
7 Drill Presses (3 floor models, 4 tabletop)
7 Joiinters
6 Radial Arm Saws
4 Shapers
2 Planers
4 Lathes
2 Dust Collectors
3 Shopvacs
1 Edge Sander
1 Disc/Belt Sander combo
1 Spindle/Belt Sander combo
6 Routers
5 hand-held sanders
3 circular saws
7 nail guns
4 Grinders
Many-Many chisels, hand planes, saws and other hand tools

I tried not to include most smaller tools that I only have 1 of but did include the bigger stuff.

-- John

Rod Sheridan
08-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Gee, and I thought had to make confessions about owning two routers and two drill presses, and four grinders.

I'm not even on the same playing field as some of you guys!

I guess because I have two work areas, both of which are small, I don't have many duplicates.

My wood shop is in the basement of a townhouse, and my mechanical shop is the single car garage used for my vintage motorcycle hobby.

Both are well equiped, the basement is General, Oneida and Hammer equipment, the garage has a MIG and a SMAW welder, a horizontal bandsaw, a drill press, a hydraulic press, two grinders, a bench, a cleaning tank and a hydraulic bike lift.

regards, Rod.

Greg Hines, MD
08-05-2008, 11:09 AM
I would agree with Becker. Multiples help with some operations. I have a pair of pairs of PC Routers, each with a fixed and plunge base, for that reason.

Doc

J Simpson
08-05-2008, 4:16 PM
I agree that having multiples of some tools helps with setup, but I don't think I can justify all mine that way. Or worse - the fact that I am still trying to find more tools that I already have multiples of:

4 Drill Presses (had 5, but gave 1 away)
2 Table Saws
3 Bandsaws (and still looking for a bigger one)
2 lathes
2 Planers
2 Jointers (also still looking for a bigger one)
Only 1 Radial Arm saw!! (but also looking for a bigger one)

I don't even want to start counting handheld tools like routers, drills, etc.
Like lots of folks, I like to buy old tools and restore them, so I end up with a lot of multiples.