PDA

View Full Version : Just curious..what is the Borg?

Bob Slater
08-03-2008, 6:33 AM
I see this term used a lot here. Is the Borg a brand of big box store in the US? If yes, how does it differ from Home Despot?

Ed Sallee
08-03-2008, 6:38 AM
One & the same.... referring to "the borg" from Star Trek-Next Generation days.... "you will be assimilated"!!! lol

John Keeton
08-03-2008, 6:53 AM
Bob, when I asked this same question a few months ago as a newbie, I was given Ed's response, and also that is was an acronym for "big ol' retail giant." Not being a Star Wars person, the second made more sense to me. Somehow, I was able to make it to this point in life without being "assimilated" into the Star Wars culture.

jerry nazard
08-03-2008, 7:08 AM
Bob,

I always thought it was Greek for "Big Orange". Orange you sorry you asked (:>........?

Best!

-Jerry

Chuck Tringo
08-03-2008, 7:18 AM
Yep, and when you see Orange Borg, its HD, Blue Borg = Lowes :)

Joe Scharle
08-03-2008, 8:16 AM
I've always felt it was : Big Obnoxious Retail Giant !

Walt Caza
08-03-2008, 8:53 AM
Hi all,
I am still resisting being assimilated.
Not a fan of the borgs at all.
I only go to those big you're-on-your-own
time-stealing stores as a last alternative.

sidebar to John: Star Wars and Star Trek are two different things!

Resistance is futile...
I guess I'll see you at the borg,
Walt
:)

Ed Sallee
08-03-2008, 8:58 AM
Well, I refuse to be assimilated too..... as I look for my keys, on my way to Rockler cuz they open at 10, then Woodcraft cuz they open at 12..... Probably drive by several Borg's on the way...

Ellen Benkin
08-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Big Orange Retail Giant

John Keeton
08-03-2008, 2:56 PM
sidebar to John: Star Wars and Star Trek are two different things!,
Walt
:)
Walt - Star Wars, Star Trek - all the same to me! I was too busy trying to earn a living, raise kids, and find another place to deer hunt when all that was going on! Can't say that I regret any of it!

Rick Fisher
08-03-2008, 3:00 PM
One visit to Borg in 4 years for me. There is a Home Depot less than 3 minutes away.

I like stores where the people working at them enjoy their jobs. I like to shop at "happy" places.

glenn bradley
08-03-2008, 4:26 PM
Bog ole retail giant - Lowe's, HD, etc.

glenn bradley
08-03-2008, 4:28 PM
One visit to Borg in 4 years for me. There is a Home Depot less than 3 minutes away.

I like stores where the people working at them enjoy their jobs. I like to shop at "happy" places.

My local Lowe's was a happy place with happy people. One day it turned into a BORG like all the rest. I was passing the service desk and asked "Where's Tom"? Tom was the day manager and really enjoyed his job, his employees and people in general . . . he got promoted and went to corporate. Good for Lowe's in general; obviously bad for my local store ;-(

eric auer
08-03-2008, 5:37 PM
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h52/aeolean/borg.jpg

Greg Carr
08-03-2008, 5:39 PM
So, is Woodcraft a BORG? Green BORG?:confused:

Bob Slater
08-03-2008, 5:40 PM
Well, I guess I have tested the phrase....There are no stupid questions. We are just getting some Lowes stores in Southern Ontario now. Looking forward to checking one out. The Despot is well established, there is a Canadian version called Rona. I buy my wood and tools supplies at Wal Mart though. Better selection and more knowledgeable staff.

Just kidding! BTW, if anybody is ever in Toronto, check out Oliver Lumber. It is 100% stocked with exotic hardwood from floor to ceiling and it is about the size of two or three Home Depots....Believe it or not.

Peter Quadarella
08-03-2008, 5:49 PM
I would go somewhere else, if I knew where else to go. There doesn't seem to be any local hardware stores around, and the 2 borgs are only a few miles away.

Bruce Benjamin
08-04-2008, 2:48 AM
Walt - Star Wars, Star Trek - all the same to me! I was too busy trying to earn a living, raise kids, and find another place to deer hunt when all that was going on! Can't say that I regret any of it!

I did all of those things too but I somehow managed to learn about that area of pop culture, watch a some TV and go to a few movies. I like both series' of movies and TV shows.:cool:

I think Borg is good name for any of the big box stores. The Borg species fly in large cube shaped space ships. They overwhelm almost anything they come across. However, the name, "Borg" isn't perfect for the big box stores though because The Borg are nearly perfect and extremely efficient where HD, Lowes, Walmart, etc. are neither of these things.

Bruce

John Keeton
08-04-2008, 7:20 AM
I did all of those things too but I somehow managed to learn about that area of pop culture, watch a some TV and go to a few movies. I like both series' of movies and TV shows. Bruce
Bruce, apparently all of the sci-fi stuff really grabbed a segment of the population. Honestly, there was a time in my life where watching TV, except for the news, seemed a complete waste of time - something I didn't have much of. It seems obvious that the Star Trek (got it right that time?!) phenomenon was huge - I was just MIA!!

Even today, I have no interest in sci-fi movies. Not much that Hollywood does interests me. I realize that I am a poor consumer and not doing my part to hold up that segment of the economy - hope you Trekkers (had to look that up!) take up the slack!

I will have to say, however, that from what little I know - the analogy to the BORG seems appropriate, and all that has been said here is accurate. Unfortunately, the BORGs will have the same apparent effect on the little guys - to our eventual detriment.

Larry James
08-04-2008, 10:38 AM
List Of Acronyms - Updated 2/28/2008

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=78002

This will help, thanks to Joe Myers.

Larry

Jim Broestler
08-05-2008, 10:34 PM
I go to the Borg for plywood, sandpaper, and the occasional odd-size drill bit. Mostly for the expendable stuff. Blue Borg is literally two minutes from my house, so if I'm in the middle of a project and need that little item, I'm not going to drive 20 miles for the sake of pride.

Rick Fisher
08-06-2008, 2:30 AM
I hate the Borg's. Cant do it. Dont shop Wal-Mart either. I think I am a dying breed. Just dont want to see the day when you cant find a store with the owner working the counter.

Chris Kennedy
08-06-2008, 6:08 AM
I hate the Borg's. Cant do it. Dont shop Wal-Mart either. I think I am a dying breed. Just dont want to see the day when you cant find a store with the owner working the counter.

Wal-Mart is a blight upon the Earth. 'Nuff said.

The days of the independent hardware store were rapidly coming to an end long before the BORGs blossomed across the landscape. A lot of of the Mom and Pops were assimilated by Ace and True Value a long time ago.

A good hardware store is a treasure. My local one where I last lived was great -- they were helpful, knowledgeable, and had just about everything you needed on a day-to-day basis. My local one know is just a total hit or miss. I find myself often going to a BORG because I know that they will have what I need.

Cheers,

Chris

Steve Nouis
08-06-2008, 6:35 AM
I always thought it was the big orange. Steve

Kirk Poore
08-06-2008, 12:17 PM
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h52/aeolean/borg.jpg

Now, if only those guys had their orange aprons on, I could ask a question.:)

Kirk

Bruce Benjamin
08-06-2008, 3:38 PM

Good luck with that.:rolleyes: I wonder if someone were to audit your shopping habits if they would find you shop mostly in stores in which the owner, "Works the counter" or if it's mostly in stores with absentee owners. I understand where you're coming from, (sorta) but it's really impractical in anywhere but the smallest of towns. And then your selection of whatever you're buying is very limited.

Bruce