PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Tutorial???

matt dumney
08-03-2008, 12:01 AM
I'm looking for a bandsaw blade setup tutorial. Something regarding the blade tension and blade drift setup. Is one available???
Thanks!

Barry Vabeach
08-03-2008, 9:54 AM
This video is recommended by many

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/episode-13-bandsaw-set-uptune-up/

Dave Sweeney
08-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Here's another;

http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/file.jsp?item=video/player&temp=yes&bcpid=979295690&bclid=1339217207&bctid=1641902277

Howard Acheson
08-03-2008, 12:01 PM
While the Wood vidio is very good, if you are new to a bandsaw you should buy either Mark Duginskes new band saw book or the one authored by Larry Bird. Both are excellent but the Duginske book is newer. Amazon will have either book.

Either will help you getting your saw aligned and adjusted as well as giving you lots of good info about what blades to use when--there's no one "all purpose" bandsaw blade. They will also tell you how to get the most out of your saw.

Chuck Tringo
08-03-2008, 2:39 PM
While the Wood vidio is very good, if you are new to a bandsaw you should buy either Mark Duginskes new band saw book or the one authored by Larry Bird. Both are excellent but the Duginske book is newer. Amazon will have either book.

Either will help you getting your saw aligned and adjusted as well as giving you lots of good info about what blades to use when--there's no one "all purpose" bandsaw blade. They will also tell you how to get the most out of your saw.

You mean Lonnie Bird ? I don't think Larry knows much aboot bandsaws :D

Jim O'Dell
08-03-2008, 5:54 PM
Is it basketball time already??? :p Really funny thing is I read it, and didn't catch it until Chuck's note. :o:o I just read it as Lonnie, not Larry. Jim. (It's the heat, honest it is.)

Tim Byars
08-03-2008, 9:48 PM
It's the heat, honest it is.

I thought it was the Pacers? Or was it the Celtics...

(Sorry. Couldn't resist.)

matt dumney
08-03-2008, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the all the great information on this. This has been very helpful but one more question.

Is the setup for a timberwolf blade the same as any other blade?? I've heard different things...

Thanks!

Barry Vabeach
08-04-2008, 8:24 AM
The basic setup of the guides and tracking for the Timberwolf blades is the same. Timberwolf claims they use a special steel and that the tension should be set using the flutter test, not the tension gauge on the saw. On their website, they describe the test. The opposing view is that for the most part, steel is steel, so the tension should not be any different ( though I don't want this to break out into a tension war ). In addition, I have read that the flutter method is dependent on blade harmonics and doesn't tell you much about tension.

Peter Quadarella
08-04-2008, 8:41 AM
Matt the basic idea is that the Timberwolf blades need less tension than other blades. None of the setup is rocket science though. Tighten it up so there's not much give. In general, when in doubt, tighten it a little more. See if it cuts well and straight, if it does then don't worry about it.

I remember the first time I set up my bandsaw, with calipers on the guides and such. Now I just eyeball it and it's fine. If you get too carried away you will never change blades, which is one of the great benefits to having a bandsaw (the flexibility).

Howard Acheson
08-04-2008, 10:43 AM
>> You mean Lonnie Bird ? I don't think Larry knows much aboot bandsaws

Oops.....

Gotta stop drinking those martinis before lunch.