PDA

View Full Version : My economic shop. Lots of pic's

glen box
08-02-2008, 4:31 PM
Some of you have requested to see photos of my shop. Now before we begin the tour let me warn you. You will not see any of the high priced tools that many of you love so much. Thisis a shop built that has come together by means of living with a shall we say small annual shop tool budjet. Of you could just come right out and say what I really mean. " I have had one kid or another in college for the past 6 yrs and have 6 more years to go." Most of my large equipment have been family pitch in x-mas or b-day gifts. A few are freebee's people just wanted "out of my way". Now my shop is called by many names if just depends on who you are speaking to. My kids call it the big ugly brown barn. My wife calls it either the dog house or my hide out. I call it The Man Shed.

So with that said please step into:

THE MAN SHED
This is the man shed

Standing just inside the door looking in.

Super cool dust collection system. lol

Two of three shop dogs. Sammy is the balck lab and Toby is the Yellow lab.

Built in work bench.....Not much work actually happens here, just mostly catches alot of junk. The blue ac was a freebe It is an old dog. 1955 wards 40gl.

More to come.......

glen box
08-02-2008, 4:45 PM
Veiw of over head storage above built in workbech/junk collector.

Drill press table and stroage foe hand held power tools. Thee small drill press I picked up at an estate sale for 20.00. The larger on I inherited from my father.

Lathe that I inherited from my father. I have made a few bowls and some stands but I don't have very good chisels or a good way to keep them sharp so I don't get too serious with it. Can't part with it though because it was my pop's.

Miter station I have 4' of support on either side of blade. This is the second most used station in the shop.

Router table. Porter cable router is under table.

More to come..............

glen box
08-02-2008, 5:04 PM
Wood storage Built from an old 3' x 4' pallet and some scrape ply and 2'x4's. It has four compatrments for different type and size material. In the back is a slot I can keep 6-8 full sheets of 4'x8' ply.

side veiw

Garden center. Please honey can I put this stuff in the garage?!?!

This is the heart of the shop. The TS on the far end is a craftsman. Given to me by my wife for x-mas 12 yrs ago. I keep it set up for datto cut's. The ts on the near end is a ridgid given to me by my wife and kids 2 x-mases ago. The work table in the middle is 4' x 6'. Has storage undernieth for a planner and all my nial guns and finishing mats. Drawers hold a miriade of sanding discs and sanding sponges ect.

This is the emegency assembly area. It measures 8' x 12' It is located directly behind the ridgid TS. I only use it if I am out of room in the main assembly area.

more to come..................

glen box
08-02-2008, 5:14 PM
This is the main assembly area. It too is about 8' x 12'.

12" disc sander. This was a "just get it out of the way deal. I know its old. I have know idea how old but it works great.

straight on view of miter station.

The man shed is 20'x30' Side wall height of 12' . Center ceiling height of 14'. Front end there is an overhead door that measures 10'w x 12't.

This ends our tour of The Man Shed. I hope ya'll enjoyed your stay please fell free to come by any time.

Gary McKown
08-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Cool - looks a lot like my shop for the first 20 years or so. Except I never (still don't) had a big ugly brown barn Man Shed to play in.

- Gary (got more tools but 'way less space).

Dewey Torres
08-03-2008, 1:15 AM
Glen,
My last shop was a one car garage. I could pick out about 15 or 20 things that your shop has just like mine. Most folks laugh at those HF clamps but I use them all the time... laugh it up ...they work fine for me and you.

Your bench is almost a carbon copy of my last bench. I put a 4 ft florescent light just over it and I loved the amount of light I had. I hung my small c clamps just like you did.

Anyway, I was one of the ones who asked for pics. SMC folk love pics. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Rich Engelhardt
08-03-2008, 8:06 AM
Hello,
Nice MS station!
Similar to what I have in mind,,, but,,, different.
Have you considered adding T-track to the tops of the fence(s)?

I know a lot of the members here consider a CMS or SCMS only accurate enough for rough work. It's amazing though (well, not really when you stop and consider the moving parts involved) how accurate one can be with the right setup.

LOL!
Looks like you and I came from the same "multiples of tools" school.
- two TS's
- two compressors

glen box
08-03-2008, 3:20 PM
I have found that any cutting tool can be extremly accurate. When cutting miters DON'T USE FACTORY STOPS on your miter saw .Use a quality miter miter gage and set your own angles. I find that I rarlely need exactly a 45 or 22 1/2 for example. It is usualy a 44 1/2 or 46 something like that.

Also if you think about it, a saw is basically just a motor spinning a blade. As long as you have a good tight motor and a GOOD BLADE you can achieve high quality cuts. You just have to know your machine. I have found, however, that you have to spend more time setting up cuts on less expensive cutting machines than you do the highend ones.

My moto is cut long and shave untill it fits.

Now if I could afford some high end machines I could change that moto to, trust the machine.:D