PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust/dust collectors

Daryl Barberousse
08-02-2008, 12:49 PM
I've been running the HF 1hp mini dust collector with my Epilog for the past several years. Started with the green one and then purchased the red one.

I'm wondering what other dust collectors everyone is using.

Thanks,
Daryl

mike wallis
08-02-2008, 2:25 PM
Hey Daryl, I've had both of the DC you've mentioned hooked up to my laser. The Green one works well and is quiet. The Red one is basically "Junk". The performance is ok but it is noisy and rattles substantially. I recently went with a Jet 1100 CFM DC which enables me to run the laser at the same time as my sander. It's like a diesel truck as far as power and doesn't seem to lose much vacuum even with three ports open.

Please note that I've found the exhaust size is critical especially on long runs. I recently went from a 4" exhaust to 6" and I was astonished by the difference in the over all performance of the system. Just by adding 6" ducting to the exhaust the CFM increased at least 40%, very noticeable.

Brian Robison
08-02-2008, 11:37 PM
Mike,
so are you using two reducers then? 4 to 6 back to 4?

mike wallis
08-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Hey Brian, I'll give a little better description on layout. On the Jet D/C there are two 4" ports coming into the intake, this is a standard option for this model. On the exhaust side the D/C has a 5" exhaust port which I have made a 6" (Y) Manifold with gates to attach to it. The (Y) Manifold then directs air to either to a air filtration canister or a 6" port that goes directly to the roof of the building.

It is a little difficult to describe so I will post a photo later to give you a better idea.

The larger port size and run of tubing is a must on long runs if you want to maintain good air flow in the system. Imagine trying to pump air with a hand pump through a 1/4 inch line that ran 20 feet long. It would require more effort than say a 1 inch line running 20 feet long. The longer the line the more restriction you will have. Even Jet gets this and incorporates 5" exhaust on most of there D/C's even though the intake is 4".

So, when ever possible try to run larger ducting on the exhaust. Even if you have a 4" exhaust port it would benefit the air flow to add a expander to 5" or even 6" to finish out the run of pipe.

This may be more information than you wanted so I apologize if it's lengthy.

Rob Bosworth
08-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Mike, you state that you are using a 1100 CFM exhaust blower and can run two machines at once. Are you running you sander and the laser at the same time. Are using the same blower for both machines? If you are, be very careful. Fine wood dust will stay airborne for a long time. It also is very combustible. Any spark into the floating wood dust will be explosive. Think of flour mills going up in a poof.

mike wallis
08-04-2008, 1:09 PM
Hey Rob, your absolutely right. I still need to post a photo but I will explain a little more on the "Y" manifold coming off the exhaust side of the D/C. The "Y" has a hand slide gate on each side of the ports. So when I run the laser I close the gate to the canister side of the exhaust which collects the dust from the sander (Mostly Marble dust), and when I run the sander I close the side that vents to the roof. Now If I wanted to run both at the same time I could leave the gate open to the roof side and close the side to the canister of the exhaust without a fire hazard.

It's a rare occasion that I run both at the same time but it's nice to have the option. The 6" exhaust makes this possible because sufficient air flow is still maintained even with the laser port and sander port opened.

I tell you if I was reading my post I probably wouldn't get it but I know the folks here are sharper that the average bear. I'll try to post a photo later for further clarity.

Daryl Barberousse
08-04-2008, 2:12 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the reply. What size laser are you using this D/C on? I'm using an Epilog Mini 18, so I don't want to overdo the suction.