PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have acrylic pen turning tips?

Wayne Bitting
08-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Hopefully this week will provide me with some time to try out some acrylic turnings. Any random bits of tips or experiences anyone wants to share in regards to turning, sanding or drilling speeds or anything else you can think of would be helpful. Thanks! -wayne

Bernie Weishapl
08-02-2008, 1:05 PM
Wayne I drill at about 500 rpm making sure I back the drill bit out many times to clear the shavings. I sand the same as wood at 500 rpm and follow the grits starting at 180 or 220 to 600 then micromesh. Sharp tools are a must with light cuts. I use a skew for the finial cuts so can start sanding at a higher grit. I find if I take to heavy a cut I can chip it off the tube.

David Walser
08-02-2008, 1:33 PM
Wayne,

Ed Davidson has a number of good tutorials on his website. Some are video some are photos and text. Many show him turning projects using resin blanks (Ed makes and sells blanks for pens, bottle stoppers, etc.). Watching the videos should prepare you for turning acrylics.

Here's a link: http://www.yoyospin.com/tutorials/

Ken Fitzgerald
08-02-2008, 3:45 PM
Wayne,

Bernie gave you some pretty sage advice based on my experience. The two words that come to my mind when turning acrylics......SHARP and SKEW. I have had some pretty nice results when turning acrylics. I will wet sand with micro mesh too. They look like glass when completed.

Richard A. Rivera, M.D.
08-02-2008, 6:18 PM
I agree with all the above, sharp....sharp tools, I also wet sand with MM and found a metal polishing cream called "MAAS" which leaves a glass like surface. It can be found at Home Depot, I use just a pea size amount on a clean rag, rub in slightly along the spinning blank, then moving to a cleaner part of the rag lightly buff it out.

One thing to remember is that heat will melt the arylic or other materal....so be very carful not to but a lot of friction on the work.
I tried to use a friction polish once:confused: and melted the rag into the pen blank and had the rag spinning with the blank:D....I think we all have to do that at least once or twice as we climb that learning curve...

It can fun and rewarding when it all comes together with a beautful pen you have made:o.

Wayne Kuhn
08-02-2008, 6:26 PM
aren't a whole lot different than wood, at least thats what I have discovered.
I have have also discovered the ca glue likes to set a little longer than wood. Don't ask me why.
Sharp tools are a must- but aren't they always?
You will discover the hardest part is keeping the easterbasket grass off of your mandrel.
Wet sand is also a must, don't skip grits. I also go all the way through my micro mesh.
Finish is Tripple E and renasance (sp) wax.
Enjoy-Don't think too much into it.
Wayne
Columbia, MD

Paul Douglass
08-02-2008, 9:41 PM
Sharp tools and Skew after blank is round, great advice. Slow drilling and clear often, cut blanks a little longer for insurance. I finish by sanding with MM 1800 through 12000. Than I use a plastic polish and renaissance wax. Good luck, Acrylics are fun.