PDA

View Full Version : Recomend a joiner

jason lambert
08-02-2008, 11:58 AM
I have had it with my Jet 6" joiner it is going back I can never get it into adjustment and also to stay in adjustnment I do move it around alot that might be part of the issue. Anyhow I may upgrade to a 8" or larger but I am cramped for space that is the reason I got the small joiner with the short bed in the first place. I do like the size.

Can someone recomend a 8" or larger joiner that is not to big and just good not going to need adjustnment everytime I go to use it.

glenn bradley
08-02-2008, 12:04 PM
What is your length limit? I have the G0490X which has p-beds and a built in mobile base. I don't move the jointer a lot but I have to move it 8 feet or so to get to parts of my lumber rack. I have a digital gauge that I use for set up and it has never shown the machine to go out of alignment when moved and returned to the same spot (marked with felt pen on the floor).

Your challenge will be the length as longer beds are usually desirable, just not in your case. If your floor is eneven as most are and you are using the jointer at different angles and locations on the floor, the adjustments changing may not be the jointers fault. My floor slopes toward the door. I have the jointer leveling mechanism 'tuned' for the spot it is used in. As mentioned; moving and returning to this spot does not cause problems.

Rick Fisher
08-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Everyone seems to be buying that G0 490 Grizzly model and everyone seems happy once they do.

The Helical upgrade is only $275.00 extra.

jason lambert
08-02-2008, 12:15 PM
What else besides the grizzley, I would perfer to get something my dealer carries which is basically everything else.

My gurage floor is basically level. But I don't understand how that might effect things so whay if the whole thing is tilted as long as the tables are in line and sturdy you should be able to use the ting standing on end.

My tables constinally tilt up on the ends.

Rick Fisher
08-02-2008, 12:29 PM
In my humble opinion, the Powermatic 8" with the Byrd is on of the best machines. Oliver also has a nice machine ..

http://www.olivermachinery.net/machines.asp?machine=4230

If you dont want a helical cutter, the Delta DJ-20 is a very good machine as well.

I am looking for a new jointer right now. Since getting a Helical cutter on the planer, I want one on the Jointer as well.

tim mathis
08-02-2008, 12:41 PM
i have the steelcity 8 " industrial jointer that works great and has only been adjusted when it was assembled.i have not had any problems with it. i store it under my lumber rack and move it to use it.
everything in my shop ( 2 1/2 car garage) is mobile except the cyclone. the good thing about the steelcity is that it has a five year warranty. i have 3 of their tools and have used the warranty once. they were quick to ship the part and the customer service was outstanding.
tim mathis.

Nancy Laird
08-02-2008, 1:43 PM
I have to second the Steel City recommendation. We have the 6" wedge-bed and love it. If we were in the market for a new one, it would probably be the same thing, as we don't face-joint our lumber, just edge-joint, and don't need the width. But SC makes VERY good machines, with some little propriety tweaks that separate them from the rest of the pack.

Tom Esh
08-02-2008, 3:00 PM
My gurage floor is basically level. But I don't understand how that might effect things so whay if the whole thing is tilted as long as the tables are in line and sturdy you should be able to use the ting standing on end.

My floor is neither flat nor level and I use my 6" Grizzly in several locations with no discernable difference. It has adjustable feet, but I usually just move it a few inches until it doesn't rock.

John Hedges
08-02-2008, 3:45 PM
In my humble opinion, the Powermatic 8" with the Byrd is on of the best machines. Oliver also has a nice machine ..

http://www.olivermachinery.net/machines.asp?machine=4230

If you dont want a helical cutter, the Delta DJ-20 is a very good machine as well.

I am looking for a new jointer right now. Since getting a Helical cutter on the planer, I want one on the Jointer as well.

I would second that. Depends on your budget though. The Grizzly entry level 8" are good for the $$ but the PM and Oliver are in a different class. I have Grizzly GO490 and wish that I had spent the xtra bucks on one of the ones listed above.

Jack Camillo
08-02-2008, 5:31 PM
I am extremely happy with my current jointer, and it's got a planer to boot. Don't know what your budget is, but the Mini Max FS30, a 12 in jointer, and 12 inch planer was my best choice and I'm happy I got it. Powerful, excellent knives (which are easy as pie to change). On the other side of the room, which I also feel was an excellent choice, is the most portable Veritas low angle jointer, which also does a fantastic job without size limitations.

Mike Heidrick
08-02-2008, 6:35 PM
I was going to say 12" Jet jointer/planer - probably not interested in that though.

Rick Fisher
08-02-2008, 8:17 PM
I have been looking at the oliver 10" machine. Its about $2700 with the Byrd Head. Its a big bill for a jointer.

Does anyone here have one?

Sunhill also has "jointer feeders" now. Specific to a jointer.

Of course that add's agian to the bill :)

One side of my brain says "$2700.00 for a jointer????"
The other side says.." you only need one" :)

The Oliver comes with a Baldor motor. Oliver installs the motors and Byrd cutterhead when the Jointer enters the country.

Robert Payne
08-02-2008, 8:25 PM
I just bought a Grizzly G0490X (with Grizzly's spiral cardbide cutter head) to upgrade from my 6" Grizzly which is too small for accurate jointing on longer boards. I just offloaded it from my truck bed today (with help) after picking it up this past week in Muncy. I'm looking forwad to getting it up and running.

Gary McKown
08-02-2008, 9:59 PM
Jason - something must be wrong if the jointer goes out of whack when moved. Even my old Craftsman stayed spot-on when wheeled around, as long as the cut depth was not changed (that's a different story). If your mobile base allows too much of a *thump* and you think that is the problem, try easing it off the wheel with help from a pry bar.

The only short-bed (less than 6') 8" machines I have found are a few years old. Philly CL had a Bridgewood 66" unit a short while ago, for example.

jason lambert
08-03-2008, 11:47 AM
I aggree something is wrong I am not good with joiners had one for years with no issues got this a couple months ago and it has never been right tried everything short of taking the whole thing apart. I get it in alignment and it seens like temp thorughs it out or some force of nature. Long storie short dealer is going to fix it or take it back, looks like right now he will take it back so I will get another off him and since that was the only real short bed one that is why I did a 6" I may as well get something wider and upgrade. I will know more tommrow when the Jet rep is in.

Mobal base is fine. I don't move it that much anyhow. I bought it because it was cheap and small, everytime I buy something cheap related to tools I get burned. Live and learn.

Wayne Cannon
08-03-2008, 5:01 PM
I have an 8" Jet, but now wish for a longer bed, like that on the Powermatic. There has been some debate here on the benefit of a long bed; but for my work, the longer bed is more important than the wider blade (I rarely face joint anything 6" or wider).

glenn bradley
08-03-2008, 11:11 PM
What else besides the grizzley, I would perfer to get something my dealer carries which is basically everything else.

My tables constinally tilt up on the ends.

I guess where I was going with the "floor thing" is just as you say. IF the jointer itself is reliable regardless of support, once aligned it should stay aligned. This is not happening for you.

It my not be a twisting of the base causing things to go bad but that is probably not important at this point. You have made the decision to move on which is good.

I had a little bit of trouble with my dovetail-way 6" Delta but it was solvable. I did realize it was not the jointer for me a few weeks after I bought it. Nearly two years later I had saved enough for a more substantial machine and went with p-beds as they are claimed by some to be easier to align if required. I just like the constant throat gap that they offer.

Could you tell us what your local guy carries? I'll bet there are some members who have or have had something he has available and could be helpful ;-)

Don Bullock
08-03-2008, 11:55 PM
What else besides the grizzley, I would perfer to get something my dealer carries which is basically everything else. ...

There is a ShopFox equivalent of the G0490 that is available from dealers who sell that brand.