PDA

View Full Version : To the bearded ones

Frank Castleberry
08-02-2008, 7:56 AM
Any of you with beards have a recommendatoion for respirators? I'm too ugly to shave — it scares the grandkids — but i would like to use a respirator on some occasions.

Thanks

John Thompson
08-02-2008, 9:12 AM
I use a PSA with the vapor cannisters and have for years... works fine for me. I use the North dust mask from Highland WW and have for years.. works fine for me.

Good luck....

Sarge..

Jamie Buxton
08-02-2008, 10:51 AM
I wear a beard, and use a 3M 6000-series respirator. A good thing about the 6000 series is that they sell three different sizes, so you can pick the one which best fits your face (and beard). Probably no respirator seals extremely well over a beard, but it is certainly better than nothing.

Bruce Page
08-02-2008, 11:56 AM
I had to shave my beard when I was fitted for a Scott Air Pack at work. At the time, I was working at the plutonium facility in Los Alamos and they were adamant about facial hair shaving. :rolleyes:
Spray finish and dust aren’t quite as bad, but you won’t be 100% protected if you have a beard.

Curt Harms
08-02-2008, 9:29 PM
I had to shave my beard when I was fitted for a Scott Air Pack at work. At the time, I was working at the plutonium facility in Los Alamos and they were adamant about facial hair shaving. :rolleyes:
Spray finish and dust aren’t quite as bad, but you won’t be 100% protected if you have a beard.

Aren't quite as bad???? Wood dust ain't exactly good for ya but I suspect the LD50 dosage for wood dust is a bit higher than plutonium:eek::eek: .

Jamie Buxton
08-02-2008, 10:57 PM
There are products which may give better protection for those who wear beards. They don't attempt to seal to the face. Instead they filter air, and blow it at your face which is behind a shield. The Triton Powered Respirator and the Trend Airshield are two examples.