PDA

View Full Version : amana shaper cutter question

Bill Meyers
08-01-2008, 7:50 PM
Hi I recently purchased a 4-15/16" OD shaper cutter from amana. The profile cuts a traditional 17 degree bevel leaving a 1/4" (really 3/16) flat for the tounge. I really need something more like 3/8". The online store I bought it from said the rub collar/bearing I bought with it is meant for it and that's the max depth it can go. Couldn't I just minimize it and instead of using a 1-15/16 bearing use something like a 1-11/16" bearing to get that depth. I realize the cutter doesn't have the profile that deep but it should plow it out regardless no? Thanks.

http://www.toolstoday.com/p-5512-raised-panel-shaper-cutters-for-34-material-traditional.aspx

Jamie Buxton
08-01-2008, 11:07 PM
Yes, the cutter should plow out that deep, if the workpiece doesn't run into some other part of the tool -- for instance the arbor.

David DeCristoforo
08-02-2008, 12:06 AM
As Jamie said, you can cut deeper by leaving the collar out of the stack and moving the fence back. But since there is no cutting edge that close to the arbor, the edge of the panel may be a bit rough and you may get some splintering.

Bill Meyers
08-02-2008, 9:59 AM
Thanks for your replies, I will just go with a smaller bearing and plow deeper. That's what I thought, should have just asked amana directly instead of the dealer, the guy was probably just reading the packaging/listing.