PDA

View Full Version : Porch Rail

Stan Thigpen
08-01-2008, 12:23 PM
I am making replacements for the porch rail which run between the columns on my old pre Civil War farm house and am uncertain as what type of wood would be the best to use. The rails will be painted, and I want something that will withstand the humid Mississippi weather for many years to come. The original made by my Great Grandfather was old growth pine, which lasted for over 100 years. I know that modern fast-grown pine is not the answer, and I do not want to use pressure treated, as it will not be uniform enough, nor will it hold paint over the long haul. Can you suggest what might be good for this application? (No exotics, please.) Thanks, Stan

Frank Snyder
08-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Have you considered Cypress, Hemlock or Cedar?

Lee Schierer
08-01-2008, 12:38 PM
I would recommend Cypress based on your location. It should be readily available. Western Cedar or Redwood would also work. Hemlock will last a long time but tends to be splintery.

Richard Wolf
08-01-2008, 4:48 PM
Spanish Cedar is a great wood for just the application you are look for. Turns well and takes paint great.

Richard

Tony De Masi
08-01-2008, 6:21 PM
I would also go wity cypress based solely on your location.

Tony

Stan Thigpen
08-02-2008, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the suggestions folks. I'll check the availability of cypress in the lengths that I need.

Ben Davis
08-02-2008, 7:49 AM
I think that you would do just great with cedar as well. It can be primed and painted fairly well and holds up great outdoors.