PDA

View Full Version : Doming products ?

Angus Hines
08-01-2008, 9:18 AM
Where do you get them? and how is it done?

Rodne Gold
08-01-2008, 9:48 AM
Depends on volume as to what route you go with.
For small runs those guns with 2 part cartridges are ok , or use some "pratleyglo", mix it in a paper cup and drip on with icelolly sticks.
Bigger runs , you need a 2 part mixer , dispenser and to use Polyurethane 2 part resins in larger quantities.
I would NOT suggest UV curable stuff..it's way too pricey
I have writen a lot about doming here , so search these boards and have written more here
http://www.uksignboards.com and do a search on Doming.

Angus Hines
08-01-2008, 10:04 AM
IT would be small volume stuff for custom ordered work. The epoxy/urethane what have you, would need to be flexible and saltwater mist tolerant.

Did the search thingie and didn't find much here other than epoxies.com. Not sure if that the best route or not.

Off to look at the link you posted Rodne thanks.

Gary Hair
08-01-2008, 5:16 PM
Angus,
I bought uv curable epoxy from epoxies.com and couldn't be happier with it. It's really not that expensive when you consider the cost per item. I built a 4 tube blacklight "curing oven" and it works great. All told I think I have about $60 in the oven and I paid around $100 for a gallon of epoxy. I have used about 1/2 of it and it has generated revenue in excess of $3,000, give or take a bit.

Is it worth it? Yes, my opinion

Gary

Rodne Gold
08-02-2008, 3:38 AM
Gary , that epoxy is not UV stable , it is uv curable but yellows quite quickly outdoors. (I assume its the 60-7155 version or one opf its variants)
uv cure 7165 from Deco-coat
http://www.deco-coat.com/uv.html
Is more suitable as it is flexible and is far better re yellowing , but it requires a very expensive UV source to cure and it is a LOT more pricey than $100 a gallon. I think we got quoted in the $300 a gal range.

Gary Hair
08-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Gary , that epoxy is not UV stable , it is uv curable but yellows quite quickly outdoors. (I assume its the 60-7155 version or one opf its variants)
uv cure 7165 from Deco-coat
http://www.deco-coat.com/uv.html
Is more suitable as it is flexible and is far better re yellowing , but it requires a very expensive UV source to cure and it is a LOT more pricey than $100 a gallon. I think we got quoted in the $300 a gal range.

I haven't had any problems with the DC-7155 and yellowing. I have done several thousand pieces over the last two years and there is no problem at all with yellowing. I have a lapel pin that I wear every day and it is still as clear as the day I domed it, just over a year ago. I haven't priced out the 7165 but the uv source made it cost prohibitive for me - $40 for a blacklight setup vs several hundred for high intensity.

Gary

Dan Hintz
08-05-2008, 7:45 AM
Gary, are you wearing that pin outdoors? If not, there's little UV to turn it yellow...

Gary Hair
08-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Gary, are you wearing that pin outdoors? If not, there's little UV to turn it yellow...

I wear it all the time but I don't spend my entire day outside. I am in Oregon so outside doesn't necessarily mean sunlight anyway... If it would take 6 months to yellow in "normal" sunlight it might take 6 years here.

Gary

Mike Null
08-06-2008, 9:09 AM
BTW epoxies.com come will send a sample package that's enough to do quite a number of name tags.

Angus Hines
08-06-2008, 10:17 AM
Got mine yesterday and they sent me 4 of the tubes you use in the hand held gun.
They seem to be quite generous. I got a sample sometime back for potting epoxy and they sent a gallon kit.

Bill Cunningham
08-07-2008, 7:36 PM
I have used the two part clear coat from Home Depot, for doming name badges that for some reason would not accept the colour of foil I was hot stamping on as a perm. mark. It's normally sold for pouring over tables, clocks, and other crafts.. You can buy it in a few different sizes, and it's not all 'that' expensive.. I just mix it up in a soft plastic cup, and slowly pour it over the name badge so the surface tension stops it at the edge.. Seemed to do the trick just fine.. Once cured, the leftovers can be removed from the cup by flexing it and dumping out the broken contents..

AL Ursich
11-22-2008, 12:16 PM
My latest Doming project, Fire Accountability Tags. Epoxy on both sides, sublimated and reflective vinyl on the back. The colors show qualifications. Red can enter a burning building, Green Fire Police, Blue EMS and Yellow Jr. Firefighter and cannot enter a burning building.

Had a problem when doing the back, the excess if there was any would run over the edge and spoil the front. Put copy paper down and any run over shows up quick. I check the UV oven often as it cures.

In use a 6 four foot bulb oven EASY to build.

The Fire Department gets a free sign when they finish handing out the tags and return my display rack.

AL :rolleyes:

Phil Garcia
11-22-2008, 1:16 PM
Thanks Mike, I ordered some samples. Appreciate the tip.

AL Ursich
11-22-2008, 4:41 PM
I am looking for a rig to do the 2 part epoxy that is air operated and mixes at the tip. All Epoxies.com has is the double syringe with a mixing tip.

Going to be doing more 2 part stuff in the next few months due to it's better non yellowing ability. Looking for the mixing tip fittings... Have a Harbor Freight Paint Pressure Pot that I was going to use 2 new plastic hoses from the pot. Epoxies.com mentioned not to use brass or copper fittings with the 2 part as it could cause a problem.

This company has a great setup.

http://www.visionmark.com/capdome.html

AL