PDA

View Full Version : Conference room or meeting room slider sign source

Bob Cole
08-01-2008, 1:21 AM
I've gone through all my catalogs and don't seem to have a source for the slider sign pictured below. The sign measures roughly 2" by 10". It looks like wood (possibly press board with a veneer). Do any of you have a source for this?

Doug Bergstrom
08-01-2008, 8:15 AM
Try Scott Sign Systems.

scottsigns.com

Joe Pelonio
08-01-2008, 8:26 AM
If you search this has come up before, some of us have made them from scratch. The simplest way is to use a standard 2"x10" slide-in wall frame,
spray it black, apply the vinyl lettering left and right, add a 2"x5" black
laminate such as Rowmark ADA and place drops of epoxy at the ends of
the channels to keep it from falling out. If the frame comes with mounting holes they can be filled with bondo or epoxy before spraying.

If you have to match that sample exactly then here are a few other places to try:

http://www.mydoorsign.com/Door-Signs/In-Use-Vacant-Slider.aspx?engine=adwords&keyword=Sliding+Door+Sign&gclid=CJ-tlbzQ7JQCFSQtagodk2cZrQ
http://www.hscsigns.com/default.php?cPath=174&gclid=COuf7ZrR7JQCFSQtagodk2cZrQ
http://www.signs4amex.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=7

Bob Cole
08-01-2008, 1:20 PM
Thank you for the responses. I did search on sawmill but must not be searching using the correct criteria (found one with Scott Shepard but no specifics on making them from scratch or purchasing that looked like the one mentioned).

Joe,

Thanks for the list. I had already looked through their web sites and either can't find it or they just don't have it on their site.

I took a much closer look at it and it does look like the sign shop made it. It didn't look like a refined manufacturing process.

They have a backing that is the full size of the sign (doesn't look like ADA plastic but wood with a veneer). They have about 1/4" spacer around the entire sign. Then they have the top piece made out of the same wood with the opening. The lettering is vinyl, kind of a sparkle silver. They have a a small piece of covering wood/veneer that slides back and fourth (not in any kind of track so I would guess eventually the lettering will get scraped off). The whole thing is glued together.

I like Joe's suggestion for using the standard 2X10 plate holder. To get close, I will have to build the box around it with a window.

Bob Cole
08-04-2008, 2:45 AM
I still wasn't able to find a satisfactory pre-made slider sign so I made my own.

This is my first go, so will be refining as I go.

I used a 2x10 wall plate 1/8 black acrylic, 1/4 black acrylic, and 1/16 black/white romark.

After cutting out the 1/8 and 1/4 acrylic, I dry fit to make sure it went together. I placed the 2x10 holder in the center of the back plate wth the 1/4 all the way around. I put enough glue in the screw holes to keep the 2x10 holder in place while I glued three sides leaving one small side open. I slide in the 1/16 black/white and glued the last 1/4 piece. I put the slider on top, and glued the last piece.

If you have any suggestions on making this better, please let me know.

Joe Pelonio
08-04-2008, 7:53 AM
Well done!