PDA

View Full Version : Using acrylic paints.....

Chip Sutherland
08-01-2008, 12:13 AM
I finished turning a piece of cypress. I never got past the fact that I thought it was an ugly piece of wood. Started dyeing it but the soft and dense grain took the dye very poorly. Now I've opted for acrylic paint....but I have never used them before (at least not since middle school).
> What are the critical points to know? :confused:
> how do I get a smooth surface.
>I kind of like the brush strokes right now but I might want to rub them out and go for a glossy finish.
>What type of top coat can I use?
Thanks for the primer. I think I might ask for a painting class for Christmas.:D

Jim Becker
08-01-2008, 5:58 AM
I've had great success with the Golden acrylics on turnings. I just have used good quality artists brushes for application. Folks who use the semi-transparent colors/transparent colors usually opt to use an air brush for blending, etc. Once I am done with the color coats, I spray on Target Coatings USL (which is also a clear acrylic product). That would be the only way I'd consider any rubbing out afterward.

Ron Fleice
08-01-2008, 7:19 AM
Chip you might want to try the textured paints from Lowes or HD ...spray on, easy to apply, I sprayed a laquer over top to seal it all and left the inside of the bowl natural wood..here is a pic
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/Ronluc/texturedbowl22.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/Ronluc/texturedbowl11.jpg

Ron

Jim Becker
08-01-2008, 8:19 AM
Be careful with using lacquer over anything that isn't lacquer...the solvents can craze or otherwise harm the underlying finish. Of course, that can also be used for interesting effect; something I did way back when in my model car competition days.

Ron Fleice
08-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Your right about that Jim...I used to be in the automotive business...painting..in those days my preference was acrylic laquer because it could be buffed to a deep shine and touched up relatively easy, now its a different thing altogether...I use solvent laquer on a lot of turnings, if i don't want a high gloss I simply buff with steel wool...
Ron

Burt Alcantara
08-02-2008, 11:55 AM
I use acrylics in an airbrush. When I decide to color a piece I don't use oil or shellac. Instead I lay down a coating that will allow the paint to adhere better. This way I get a more even coating of paint and greater detail if I decide to paint intricate lines.

After painting, the turning will look dull. Apply your favorite semi or full gloss top coat and you will be amazed when the color jumps out at you.

So far, I like acrylics. They are easy to use and clean up with water.

If you find one brand is not giving you results, try a different one. I use Golden Airbrush acrylics because they adhere better and are reasonably priced. They also make a wide variety of "mediums" that open up wide possibilities for enhancing your turnings.

http://www.goldenpaints.com

They also make Golden Fluids which are targeted to illustrators.

Hope this helps,
Burt

Jim Becker
08-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Ron, "Acrylic Lacquer" from the automotive world is a different animal from the water borne finishes we use for woodworking, but the skills you might have from the former will certainly transfer nicely!