PDA

View Full Version : Biese Splitter and Shark Guard questions

Danny Thompson
07-31-2008, 11:46 PM
Biese Snap-in Splitter Owners:
What blade guard do you use?
Does it have Dust Collection?
What blade guard have you tried and discarded?

Shark Guard Owners:
Had any problems?
Do you use the guard . . . really?
Tell me about your Dust Collection experience.

Michael Lutz
08-01-2008, 12:20 AM
I recently bought the shark guard for the biesmeyer mount. Before that I didn't use a blade guard. I bought the shark guard because the dust collection just under the table is a bit underwhelming. I haven't used it much yet since I am still trying to get the permanent ducting set up to use it. I used it once and I didn't end up covered in sawdust, so that is an improvement.

Mike

Danny Thompson
08-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Sarge, you have one of the Shark Guards, right?

Mike Goetzke
08-01-2008, 12:06 PM
I've had a Shark on my TS for several years. I use it all the time except when the cut is too thin to allow me to use it. I'm so used to it I feel uncomfortable using the saw w/o it.

I usually use a set of Grr-Rippers for the thin cuts but one day using them I thought this tool is great but it forces you to position your hand right over a spinning blade:eek:.

Mike

Jerry White
08-01-2008, 1:40 PM
Danny,

I use the Biesemeyer snap-in splitter on a Delta Unisaw. See my post #7 in the linked thread for my use of the SharkGuard with it:

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=53974

The SharkGuard is a real improvement, both for dust collection and visibility. If I had not already had the Biesemeyer splitter with overarm guard, I would have looked very hard at the Shark splitter with guard that is available.

Jerry

Jim Becker
08-03-2008, 1:34 PM
When I had my Jet LT cabinet saw, I used the Biesemeyer snap in splitter and an Excalibur overarm guard/collector. The former was used for nearly 100% of the through rip cuts made on the machine. The latter was used less, but great for dust collection. (I rarely use the guard on my slider, but use the riving knife 100% of the time)

John Thompson
08-03-2008, 2:17 PM
I use a variation of the Shark Guard, Danny. My machined splitter (was as Dwight picked up the Uni-saw yesteday) is made by Lee Styrone at Shark Guard. He does excellent machining and his Shark Guard is probably the best after-market on the market, IMO.

I just add my own hard-wood Crown guard and plastic shield with dust port so in essence it is basically the same as the Shark Guard. Quick release and I can tell you while you have under the table dust pick-up... you will not get more than about 70% IMO as a ton of dust gets dispersed on top of the table.

But with the Shark-Guard I increase the dust pick up to over 90%. So... a safety improvement as it is well designed.. and a much more efficient improvement in dust colletion which could also be viewed as a safety feature also along with shortening clean up after-ward.

I will not run the TS without it unless a very narrow rip that the shield interferes with the fence or cutting dadoes or a few other non-through cuts.

A class act in both engineering.. craftsman-ship and quality backed by a very reliable person in Lee Styrone is my opinion of the SG.

Sarge..

Alan Greene
08-03-2008, 3:01 PM
I agree with Sarge's comments. I use my Shark Guard unless I am using the sled or cutting extremely thin strips. It gets most of the top dust, not all. I left a little extra hose so I can pop the guard off, clean the top of the saw real quick after the cut, and have the guard reinstalled seconds later. I also keep the hose and guard attached for quick use and hang it off the air cleaner to keep it out of the way.

I also cannot say enough about Lee's customer service and dedication to quality.

Danny Thompson
08-03-2008, 5:25 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys.

Sarge, when you say "my own hard-wood Crown guard and plastic shield with dust port," is that a home-made guard or one manufactured by Crown?

John Thompson
08-03-2008, 8:13 PM
A crown guard is any solid object that sits on top of the spliter hence the name Crown and not the English manufacturer. Mine is a simple piece of hardwood mounted on top wtih twwo T bolts. The bolt run though the splitter and have two quick turn star knobs that thread on the opposite side. Quite substantial if stock were to be launched up off the teeth.

Open the show-thread as these are pictures you can probably idenify with. They are from when I sold my saw last week in classified.

Sarge..

John Thompson
08-03-2008, 8:15 PM
Opps...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=894634&postcount=2

Sarge..

Danny Thompson
08-03-2008, 11:24 PM
Ah, I see! A cousin of the Shark Guard.

Wright Woodall
08-03-2008, 11:59 PM
FYI Sarge- The Uni made it to Opelika just fine. It's still on the trailer (covered up of course) but as soon as I make a little room and get the 220v line in, i'll be in business. Sooo, now i'm the proud owner of the custom "shark-gaurd-by-sarge" (and Lee). :D:D:D