PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Gift For Sister??

"Jacob Robinson"
07-31-2008, 11:31 PM
I am looking to build a blanket chest for my sister's wedding gift. I have thought about several species and I think I have decided on curly maple cuz I can get it with no heartwood for 4.75/bd ft. What do you think of my choice??

I have been told to use a water based stain but I'm not sure what type of finish to use. I work at a cabinet shop so I have access to be able to spray lacquer, but what about an oil finish?

Also does anyone no of any good designs for a frame and panel style chest that are available.

Thanks for any input.

scott spencer
08-01-2008, 12:49 AM
Welcome to SMC Jacob. I think curly maple would make a beautiful blanket chest. I wouldn't any stain at all on CM. Either lacquer or oil would be a nice look. Depending on how much abuse you think it may encounter, you might want to consider a poly finish too.

I made a hopechest (http://woodwerker.com/home.php?pid=20071205074615432)out of QSWO for my daughter's graduation last year and finished it in poly. There are no real plans to speak of but you're welcome to any ideas you can glean from it.

Lee Schierer
08-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Unless the oil dries completely, it is probably a poor choice for a blanket chest. Oil based finishes will darken and yellow more than the lacquer or water based Poly. Here's a tray that was done with a Lacquer based finish. http://www.home.earthlink.net/~us71na/snaktab1.jpg

John Thompson
08-01-2008, 6:42 PM
Ditto Mike on no stain.. Ditto Lee on a clear coat.. I see it as no sense in putting lip stick over something that doesn't have any feature you don't need to hide.

Sarge..

Terry Sparks
08-01-2008, 7:19 PM
Regardless of what stain you use for the outside of the blanket chest, please don't ruin it by putting an oil based finish on the inside of the chest. The oil based finishes will "off gas" for a very long time that will make the chest almost usless for clothing and blankets.

Congratualtions to your sister!

Lee Koepke
08-01-2008, 7:46 PM
Depends on sisters tastes.

My wife doesnt like curly maple 'in bulk', so I would be limited to accent uses. If you do a panel design, maybe cherry for the frame and curly maple for the panels.

Clear finishes for the high visual yield woods is my preference. Bring out the grain that nature intended us to see !!!

"Jacob Robinson"
08-02-2008, 10:31 AM
What do you think of using standard maple for the frames and the curly for panels, but for the Top I was going to do solid wood so that it will be plenty strong to sit on.

I like the idea of using cherry and maple to give it some color contrast, does anyone know of any pics of this so that she could see the outcome, do you still clear coat both species and let nature do its own color contrasting???

Reed Wells
08-02-2008, 5:44 PM
Jacob, if you do go with some cherry, I would definitely experiment with an oil based natural coat. Benjamin Moore has a good one. With cherry a water based finish will not bring out the true color of the wood. Once dry, wait a good 24 hours, just my procedure, then cover it with any finish you choose. I use oil based stains and water based poly every week and have never had a problem.