PDA

View Full Version : Dust Projector Project

Jim Taylor
04-28-2004, 8:02 AM
Hi Guys,

Had a few moments before heading off to work... thought I'd post a few pics showing what I have done to my dust collector. I will add a post detailing costs... but out-of-pocket (not including filter cartridge - or extra wood I had in my shop) was under 40 bucks:

Tyler Howell
04-28-2004, 8:24 AM
Jim,
This is new to me. What is going on here and how does it work. I assume more filtration:confused:

Howard Rosenberg
04-28-2004, 8:54 AM
Looks very interesting but I don't get it.
Could you add more info to the pics?
Thanks.
Howard

Frank Pellow
04-28-2004, 9:01 AM
I don't get it either. Where and how are you planning to "project" the dust?

Chris Padilla
04-28-2004, 10:29 AM
Now look what you have done in all your haste, Mr. Taylor!! Now we gotta sit here all day staring at these pics and figure out what the heck you are building. I mean, I KNOW I want to build one but I'd like to know why! :D

Robert Ducharme
04-28-2004, 10:37 AM
Hey Chris,

He is calling this a dust projector. I bet it is a secret weapon to project dust into Terry Hatfields shop!! :D :D

Chris Padilla
04-28-2004, 10:43 AM
Hmmm, it better be a strong dust projector (with rotating field frequencies) to penetrate the dust shields Terry has up around his shop....

Tyler Howell
04-28-2004, 10:51 AM
Hey Chris,

He is calling this a dust projector. I bet it is a secret weapon to project dust into Terry Hatfields shop!! :D :D
OHHH Thanks Robert. I'm going to get started on mine today. Give a lot to see that shop dusted over.;)

Jim Taylor
04-28-2004, 11:20 AM
Ah, sorry...

I only have limited access to internet today...

I consider my dust collector, a dust projector... and this is my short term solution. I use a halogen light during the winter for extra light and for a little extra warmth. Looking through the light one day, all I could see was tons of shimmering specks.... the collector is very good at separating the smallest particles, and sending them out into the room (thus my projector reference.. it was sorta tongue in cheek comment). I decided I needed to try and correct this.

The chamber completely encloses the the felt filter, and allows air to escape the chamber through the canister filter. The 5 micron felt filter prevents most large particles from reaching the canister filter. I did not want the canister to become clogged... thus this is my solution. I expect that most of the particles which make it through the felt filter, will get trapped in this chamber, and the chamber will require occassional cleaning to remove these particles which get trapped between the felt and the canister.

To increase airflow, I have provided an area for a future additional canister on the left side of the chamber as well (mirror to the current canister).

As a note... last night I started processing some maple, and could not discern any difference in the collectors ability to grab chips and dust from my Jointer and miter saw. Also, I could not detect any fine dust coming from the chamber...

-Jim

Scott Coffelt
04-28-2004, 12:02 PM
What did it do to the amperage draw on the motor? Be careful as not to put undue strain on the motor. What's going to happen when you clog the first layer of filter, how do you clean it?

nic obie
04-28-2004, 1:28 PM
Hi Scott,

It's been my experience that the more restricted a DC is the less amps it will draw. Where you have to be careful is powering up a DC with no ducting.

Jim Taylor
04-28-2004, 2:53 PM
What did it do to the amperage draw on the motor? Be careful as not to put undue strain on the motor. What's going to happen when you clog the first layer of filter, how do you clean it?

I have not checked the amperage, but as Nic indicated, I believe that the motor effort is dependent on the amount of air it is moving. I did check for temperature increase... with my hands on the motor after 1/2 hr of running... no perseptible issue there.

As far as cleaning. It is not real apparent, but the plywood square on the front is actually a door. It is sealed around with a weather stripping gasket. The door is held in place by 12, 5/16th, bolts and screws down with wing nuts to the front.... It takes a minute or two to open and close, but once inside the felt filter comes off, just like a normal dust collector. In fact, with the door open, this runs identical to the dust collector without modifications.

The door is actually the weak point from a sealing perspective. I can discern a slight leak at one point in the gasketing, it is because of the way in which the plastic is reinforced. It is very slight, and hard to detect with my fingures... bringing my face close to the leak was the way I confirmed it exists.

-Jim

Dan Bussiere
04-28-2004, 4:19 PM
Jim,
Why not just enclose it in it's own room or enclosure? Wouldn't that do the same thing?

Dan

Jim Taylor
04-28-2004, 6:16 PM
Jim,
Why not just enclose it in it's own room or enclosure? Wouldn't that do the same thing?

Dan

Hi Dan,

it probably helps if I explain how I came to this point...

I exchanged an email with Bill Pentz asking about "drop box" design. Bill recommended not pursuing that route, suggesting instead that I build a closet. So, I spent a couple of hours just staring at my shop, wondering where I could put a closet.

After a bit, I decided that I didn't want to give up that much space, and that I didn't have enough stuff lying around to make a dedicated closet. But, I thought... hey I can build something right up on top of that there dust collector... Not much more thought than that.

I am sure that the enclosure or closet would be as good or better. I think this is probably cheaper, smaller, mobile, easier to seal, and easier to clean. The closet would be quieter, much more durable, easier to vent outside, and easier to service.

My choice mostly came down to... gee I don't have enough building material to make a closet...

-Jim

Jim Taylor
04-29-2004, 9:00 AM
Hi Guys,

I had written this up the day before I sent these photos… this should have been posted with the pictures, but it was on one of my office computers, and I was working from the road the day I sent the pictures… Anyway, I edited the title as well to prevent confusion.

==============
After much useful information derived from this site and Bill Pentz’s exceptional website, I decided that I needed to do something to improve my dust collection. Not having the tool budget for a cyclone… I decided to try and improve upon my current dust collector, and create a stop gap until money for a cyclone is available.

Basically, this is an air tight (or close to it) chamber, attached above the Delta dust collector, with a canister filter (configuration can support 2 filter stacks). The Delta 5 micron felt airbags have been sewn together to create a larger airbag which is attached, as normal, on top of the extractor tree. A regular plastic bag is used below. In creating this, my objectives were, in order:

1. Cheap (use material I already have available in the shop)
2. Light weight
3. Easy to make (mostly wood)

Basically, if it is not cheap, there is no reason to start, so here is the break down:

$8.00 300 - #8 ¾” wood screws
$8.50 2 tubes of silicon sealant
$20 10 bdft 4/4 poplar
$8 2 pine 2x4’s
$8.50 100 sqft of 8 mil plastic sheet
$48 1 and ½ sheet of ¾” Luan Plywood
$5.60 Various sized 5/16 bolts, nuts, washers (16 total)

$106.60 Total enclosure costs

A basic comment at this point, I already had the extra Luan Plywood, 4/4 Poplar, and recycled 2x4’s available in my shop. This is why I chose this material, so for me out-of-pocket cost was $106.60-$76.00=$30.60. This was a big factor for me in choosing to do this project. I am sure that any other available material would make good substitution in these areas.

Canister Filter

$88.00 From Wynn Environmental, with flame retardant
$63.00 Second optional filter from Wynn, this one I will leave out the retardant

$151.00 Total Canister costs

Another comment, I have only incorporated a single filter at this point. I have not been able to distinguish any drop in CFM airflow at the end of my 6” flexible hose. I can pick fine dust off the floor while holding the flex hose a few inches or so off of the floor. My reason to add the second filter, is that I would just like to get the best airflow possible out of this configuration…. Though there are other restriction points which need to be addressed in the overall system…

If I look at this from a total DC cost perspective… My DC was something like $250. With another $260 from above, I will be topping out around $520 in DC costs (minus any ducting, which I am converting over to 6”). If I knew then what I know now…. I would have started out with a cyclone, but maybe this will be a solution for some one else as well….

You would need a fair amount of wall space to create this kind of beast. But strangely enough, the thing is still portable, though I have attached it to the wall to keep it from moving around. I sorta designed the thing as I went along, so mine has a few tweaks in it (from an engineering perspective we might call those “undocumented features”). If there is anyone who would like additional details, I would be happy to provide more information. There are only one or two problems which needed to be overcome in making this design… so it is pretty easy.

Jim

Jim Taylor
04-29-2004, 9:02 AM
hmm... perhaps I can not edit the main view visible title...