PDA

View Full Version : Table saw blade won't get to full speed if set too low...

Michael Donahue
07-31-2008, 11:00 PM
I've got a Ridgid TS3650 which has been great for the most part. I've had a problem for a while now though where the blade won't get up to full speed and often stops completely if you're cutting with the blade raised less than about 3/4"-1" above the table. I can get away with using 8" dado blades set rather low, but again they will stop if the blade is set under maybe 1/4".

As far as I can tell, the belt isn't binding on the back of the frame and there isn't anything significant clogging up the dust port.

A great deal of the work I do involves using sleds and jigs, so this is often not a problem, but it is a pain in the neck for alot of other cuts!

Can you give me some tips where to look for issues? Has anyone else hit something similar?

Phil Thien
07-31-2008, 11:13 PM
That is a strange one. SO WITH THE SAW UNPLUGGED and the blade set low, can you spin it easily by hand?

Jamie Buxton
07-31-2008, 11:21 PM
That's a contractor saw, right? I'm guessing that the belt is getting too loose at low blade heights. On many of them, the motor is supposed to pivot so that its weight keeps tension on the belt. Maybe the pivot bolt or shaft isn't letting the motor pivot correctly.

Tom Veatch
07-31-2008, 11:26 PM
I'm not familar with the model, but if it's a contractor style saw which typically uses the weight of the motor on a pivoting mount to maintain belt tension, make sure the motor mount is free to rotate throughout it's range of motion. It could be binding or there could be some physical interference near the lower limit of rotation which stops the motor from moving and allows the belt to go slack.

Otherwise, watch the trunnion closely as someone exercises the blade height adjustment and see if you can spot anything in the trunnion action that doesn't "look right".

Michael Donahue
07-31-2008, 11:27 PM
That is a strange one. SO WITH THE SAW UNPLUGGED and the blade set low, can you spin it easily by hand?

It spins easily but comes to a stop in a second or two regardless of how high the blade is set.

Yes it is a contractors saw. As far as the belt tension, I really don't know how to check that. Is it worth replacing the belt? How can I check the tension?

glenn bradley
08-01-2008, 12:05 AM
That's a contractor saw, right? I'm guessing that the belt is getting too loose at low blade heights. On many of them, the motor is supposed to pivot so that its weight keeps tension on the belt. Maybe the pivot bolt or shaft isn't letting the motor pivot correctly.

I'm with Jamie.

glen box
08-01-2008, 12:07 AM
I have not had any problems with mine. But if I remember correctly durring assembly the motor is able to slide back and forth so you can adjust the tension on the belt. There should be one or two set screws that keep the motor in position. Back them out and see if you can pull back on the motor.

Also if you are not using a dust collector or a shop vac while operating the saw dust will build up inside of the dust collector around the blade. If that has happend then it is feasable that the blade would be getting bogged down in trash when it is set low.

Bill Huber
08-01-2008, 4:00 AM
Unplug the saw.

Raise the blade up a few inches and then as you lower it watch the belt. I am sure you will see it NOT wrap around the motor pulley as tight when it was in the raised position.

So there is something the motor is hitting on or the belt is just to long and needs to be replaced.

Art Moore
08-01-2008, 5:43 AM
Had the same problem occur after I'd had my 3650 for about a year. Re-tensioning the belt solved the problem. There are two set screws that hold the motor in place. Loosen, readjust tension, then retighten.

Lee Schierer
08-01-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm with Jamie.I'm with Glenn. Check the motor and be sure it can pivot far enough to keep the belt tensioned. It might be possible that you have the wrong sized belt. Run the blade all the way up and see if you can push the motor significantly higher. If so get a shorter belt.

Michael Donahue
08-01-2008, 1:49 PM
You guys were right on about the tension. Thanks for the tips!

Is this something I'm going to run into frequently? Do you think it's worth swapping it out for a link belt?

Thanks again. :)

Lee Schierer
08-01-2008, 2:24 PM
You guys were right on about the tension. Thanks for the tips!

Is this something I'm going to run into frequently? Do you think it's worth swapping it out for a link belt?

Thanks again. :)

If your saw is not holding the tension adjustment a link belt won't help and could make it worse as they tend to stretch lightly when first used. A link belt will reduce the vibration of the saw.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-01-2008, 4:17 PM
right on about the tension. [..]

I rather suspect that when you crank it down, the motor (or the mount) is being lifted just a scosh as it impinges against something. And that releases the tension.
If so the solution is a slightly smaller belt and yes a link belt may help as it can be adjusted by pulling how ever many links you need to get the ideal length.

Art Moore
08-01-2008, 7:58 PM
I only had it happen once; my theory is that the belt may have stretched a bit during its break-in period. I've had no problems since the initial re-adjustment.

mark page
08-01-2008, 8:23 PM
I do believe that your saw runs a serpentine (ribbed) belt so a link belt will not work. I have a 3650 setup dedicated for dados and it has a serp belt.

stew moore
10-14-2008, 11:37 PM
your motor is probably resting on the stop. you need to loosen the screws that hold the two motor bars and slide the motor towards you so the weight of the motor is holding the belt tight.