PDA

View Full Version : armchairs

Ben Hobbs
07-31-2008, 10:56 PM
I just completed these 2 armchairs. They are part of larger project of 12 chairs made for the North Carolina room in the new Chowan County/Edenton, NC library. I made pairs of 6 different chairs copied from eighteenth century examples that were made here in northeast NC. I also made 6 tables of various styles and woods. These chairs were made of mahogany, colored with aniline dye, coated with orange shellac, rubbed down with steel wool, and waxed. There are several of these chairs available in museums to study. One is in MESDA, one in Colonial Williamsburg, and one in the Chipstone collection. Thanks for looking. Ben

Dewey Torres
08-01-2008, 1:28 AM
WOW...

Now that's what I call skills!

Don Bullock
08-01-2008, 8:35 AM
Ben, those chairs are amazing! Your craftsmanship is superb.

Jim Becker
08-01-2008, 9:22 AM
Just lovely, Mr. Hobbs. Outstanding work!

John Thompson
08-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Superb Mr. Repo Man... I have neither the skill or patience (well.. maybe the patience) to do the carved reproduction work as you do. Extremely nice job again.

Sarge..

John Timberlake
08-02-2008, 7:40 PM
Great looking chairs. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

Victor Stearns
08-03-2008, 8:52 PM
Amazing! Just Amazing!
Great Work
Thanks for Sharing
Victor

Mike Cutler
08-03-2008, 9:12 PM
Wow!!

Just when I think I'm starting to get somewhere in this craft. I see work like this....:o

That's beautiful work Ben, absolutely gorgeous. Well done.

Dave Anderson NH
08-04-2008, 9:30 AM
Very nicely done as always Ben. I sure wish I could have gotten down your way for the mid-year conference this year, but it conflicted with our guild's 9 demo days at the Sunapee Craft Fair. Maybe next time it's at Rockingham. Again, beautifully done.

Jeffrey Makiel
08-04-2008, 3:02 PM
Nice job. Those look difficult to make.
-Jeff :)

Calvin Hobbs
08-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Nice job as always, Dad. I reviewed the Chipstone chair online and I think your pair would fit nicely right alongside.

How much added time do you think you had for the arms, carving, etc. as opposed to a typical queen anne chair? Also, were the back legs cut out of 12/4 stock for solid curves or were they glued up like many of the queen anne back legs were in the 18th century? I don't see any glue lines...

Cal

Jason Tuinstra
08-07-2008, 1:00 PM
Yea, I knew I liked Shaker furniture for a reason ;) Wow, those are stunning in detail. A real declaration of your skill and quality craftsmanship.

Jerry Olexa
08-07-2008, 9:43 PM
Ben, simply extraordinary, outstanding work!!! I continue to be in awe at your skilled, detailed results..You are a man of considerable skill and patience...I truly respect your work.

Ernie Hobbs
08-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Ben, simply extraordinary, outstanding work!!! I continue to be in awe at your skilled, detailed results..You are a man of considerable skill and patience...I truly respect your work.

"patience".... that's a good one. :D

Dick Sylvan
08-08-2008, 12:29 AM
I just completed these 2 armchairs.

Ben,
Your simple comment about such an awsome piece of work made me chuckle as it reminded me of a Saturday Night Life skit of a decade or so ago. There was a couple stranded on a desert isle at Christmas. When it came time for exchanging gifts, the husband presented a pathetic gift of shell and driftwood, while the wife presented a handmade watch that she had crafted at the same time. While it was a preposterous idea, the humor was in the humility about her gift and that was what drew me to the parallel between the two comments. I look forward to seeing more of your work. I hope to build the Elfe chest not too far in the future and may call upon you for advice.
Cheers and all the best,
Dick