PDA

View Full Version : Another drill press table question

Louis Brandt
07-31-2008, 7:41 PM
Has anyone bought or used this drill press table from MCLS, and if so, it is a good one? It's selling on Amazon for $59.95 with free shipping. I want a good drill press table for my 10 inch bench top drill press.

http://www.amazon.com/Drill-Press-Table-FREE-Shipping/dp/B000GFYPLY

Louis

glenn bradley
07-31-2008, 7:49 PM
Depends how you plan to use it. It is only 3/4" material so it won't take a lot of weight. I don't put big beams on my DP but some folks do. I would be tempted to laminate some additional material to the fence. The 3/4" material doesn't have much of a footing after you make room for the holddown bolt hole. Laminating another piece of 3/4" material to the front of it should help. Rockler's little table costs a little more but has a replaceable wood face on an aluminum fence and is quite a bit thicker. Just food for thought.

Louis Brandt
07-31-2008, 9:10 PM
The only Rockler drill press table for a 10 inch drill press that I see in my Rockler catalog has the same thickness (3/4 inch) as the MLCS. Rockler shows another table with a thicker top, but that one says that it's for a 12 inch bench top drill press. Mine is a 10 inch drill press.
Louis

Danny Thompson
07-31-2008, 11:37 PM
Looks like a handy table. The fence looks tall to me. Consider whether it will interfere with your quill.

glenn bradley
07-31-2008, 11:59 PM
The only Rockler drill press table for a 10 inch drill press that I see in my Rockler catalog has the same thickness (3/4 inch) as the MLCS. Rockler shows another table with a thicker top, but that one says that it's for a 12 inch bench top drill press. Mine is a 10 inch drill press.
Louis

If you blow up the pic you can use the t-tracks for scale. The dado the tracks set in are 1/2" deep. The table is 1-1/8".

Quote from the online catalog: "Sized for a bench-top drill press! Get the efficiency of our full-size drill press table for your benchtop! Fits 8" and 10" drill presses. Patented. "

I'm not trying to sell you on the thing; just trying to help out :). Rockler's recommended attachment method is weak as was the recomended method on my Woodpecker table; #10 sheet metal screws and fender washers. Not for me, I marked the hole positions through the metal table and put long 5/16" threaded inserts in so I could get a better grip with some hex bolts from underneath. I would do this with watever table you choose. The smaller screws just didn't feel safe to me. YMMV;)

There's some pics of the Woodpecker table here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57826

Bill Huber
08-01-2008, 4:20 AM
I had the same table only it was from Rockler, I would save my money and build one yourself.

They are easy to make and very cheap when you look at the cost of MDF. In fact you can make 2 or 3 different ones and make it just the way you want it for less the $60.

Denny Rice
08-01-2008, 4:54 AM
My July issue of ShopNotes has a really cool Drill Press Table with plans for building the table. I know you said you had a tabletop drill press, but I am sure this could be scaled down to fit your drill press. You might want to take a look. I have found when it comes to things like this I am usually happier with what I build then the stuff I could drop a lot of cash for.

Louis Brandt
08-01-2008, 1:21 PM
Glenn,

No, I'm talking about the Rockler table that fits the 10 inch drill press. It's just 3/4 inch thick. The Rockler table that's 1 1/8 inches thick is for a 12 inch drill press. I just telephoned Rockler and verified both these measurements. Rockler also told me that the 12 inch one would be too big for my 10 inch drill press.
Louis