PDA

View Full Version : Incra 1000SE vs. Incra 5000

Ed Sallee
07-31-2008, 7:28 PM
Sitting on the bench here....ready to pull the trigger... Pretty much decided on buying one or the other...haven't really seen a big difference between the two other than $10.... Looking for something to tip me over one side of the fence, or the other.... My questions are....Between the 1000SE combo and 5000....
Which one would you get?
and Why?

J. Greg Jones
07-31-2008, 7:54 PM
Are you asking about the Incra 5000 or perhaps the Incra 2000? The 5000 is a sled/miter gauge combo, the 1000SE a miter gauge only. The 5000 is also more than double the price of the 1000SE.

Ed Sallee
07-31-2008, 7:59 PM
Well, I just went with the 1000SE combo....looks like it should do everything I need.... I posted the questions then went browsing... I can't wait to get it.... Time to clean up the shop cuz I'll want to wait until I get it to cut wood now.. lol

Jay Yoder
07-31-2008, 10:19 PM
I bought the 1000se and love it. It is so much better than the stock OEM miter gauges i was used to...easy to adjust and use...so far i love it.

Narayan Nayar
07-31-2008, 10:59 PM
I got the 3000 for some reason, and it's great. I don't quite remember what the 5000 does that the 3000 doesn't do, but in no way has the 3000 fallen short for me.

The 3000 is basically a 1000 plus a sled, if I remember correctly. The sled is smartly done, and you can always take the miter gauge out and use it independently, which I have done on occasion.

Gary Muto
07-31-2008, 11:31 PM
I've had the 1000se for a couple of years and really like it. The telescoping fence is a nice feature. The miter bar is a little short, but it does 99% of my cross cuts. I rarely use my miter saw since getting the Incra... excludign carpentry of course.

Bruce Benjamin
08-02-2008, 5:10 PM
One difference between the 1000SE and all of the rest of the Incra miter gauges/sleds is that you can adjust the 1000SE down to 1/10 of a degree using the vernier scale. This may not matter to some people but it did to me. I bought mine in combination with the Miter Express sled from Hartville Tool using the Woodnet discount. It was a bargain and I'm very impressed with the quality.

Bruce

jason lambert
08-02-2008, 5:20 PM
I got the 1000se combo with the slead, I am happy with it. I think the 5000 is bigger may have some other differences I forget now. When I posted this same question a year ago it seemed like 90% of the people got the 1000se.

Bill White
08-02-2008, 5:54 PM
Got the "SE" last year, and can't think of anything that I can't do with it. Well pleased, and really like the way it is adjustable to the miter slots.
Bill

Don Brubaker
08-02-2008, 6:32 PM
Sitting on the bench here....ready to pull the trigger... Pretty much decided on buying one or the other...haven't really seen a big difference between the two other than $10.... Looking for something to tip me over one side of the fence, or the other.... My questions are....Between the 1000SE combo and 5000....
Which one would you get?
and Why?
I've had both, returned / sold both. Wouldn't touch Incra with a 10 foot miter measuring pole. Ended up with a Jessem Mite-R-Excel. Reason - quality, ease of adjustment, just plain easier to use. Every piece of adjustment on the Incra requires an additional tool - usually at least a couple different sizes of allen wrenches and a slotted screwdriver. Not good things to potentially have laying around the table saw. I guarantee if you try the Jessem you'll like it a lot better. Jessem requires no tools and is very accurate.

Bruce Benjamin
08-02-2008, 7:06 PM
Every piece of adjustment on the Incra requires an additional tool - usually at least a couple different sizes of allen wrenches and a slotted screwdriver. Not good things to potentially have laying around the table saw. I guarantee if you try the Jessem you'll like it a lot better. Jessem requires no tools and is very accurate.

:confused::confused::confused: I don't know what Incra gauge you're talking about but my 1000SE is very easy to use with only one Allen wrench. That is only if you want to slide the fence left or right. I replaced mine with some thumb screws for a few bucks. It was also dead-on accurate right out of the box. You can't get any better than perfectly accurate, can you?

Bruce

Mike Goetzke
08-02-2008, 9:27 PM
Which one would you get?
and Why?

Ed - Here's the difference. I was like you a little while back and got the scoop from WP. The 5000 miter gauge does have a longer fence like the 3000 but it is directly bolted to the miter table board. The 1000se is a full fledged miter gauge with a miter bar that can be used on the TS or locked down in the miter express. I actually have a 3000SE on a miter express and have never found it difficult to use or adjust. Some have changed out some of the adjusting screws with thumb screws.

Mike

dan lemkin
01-21-2009, 7:30 PM
Ed - Here's the difference. I was like you a little while back and got the scoop from WP. The 5000 miter gauge does have a longer fence like the 3000 but it is directly bolted to the miter table board. The 1000se is a full fledged miter gauge with a miter bar that can be used on the TS or locked down in the miter express. I actually have a 3000SE on a miter express and have never found it difficult to use or adjust. Some have changed out some of the adjusting screws with thumb screws.

Mike

Does anyone know where to get the properly sized thumb screws? I just got the 1000se and plan on adding the miter express for making boxes...