PDA

View Full Version : Value of tools

Chris McDowell
07-31-2008, 7:09 PM
I've been kicking around the idea of selling most of my tools and buying a combo unit from Minimax. I still haven't decided to go if I want to go that route or not, but I was hoping I could get a good idea of the value of my tools from you guys.

1-Platinum Edition Unisaw- Single phase, 3HP,50" Biesemeyer fence, Biesemeyer splitter, 49" excalibur sliding table, excalibur overarm blade guard, wixey digital fence readout, and factory outfeed table.

1-Platinum Edition Shaper- Single phase, 3HP it has the better fence setup and a mobile base.

1-Delta DJ-20 jointer- Single phase with mobile base.

1-Delta X5 Planer- Single phase, 3HP with mobile base.

1-Delta 14" bandsaw with riser-Single phase with riser block and mobile base. This machine may only have 10 hours of use on it.

All of the tools are in very good shape and have only been used by me. None has lived a hard life. I appreciate everyone's comments and time.

Chris

Loren Hedahl
07-31-2008, 7:21 PM
To get a general idea, I go to Craigs List and e-bay. With e-bay you can look at old sales and see what stuff actually sold for.

Most tools go at around 1/2 current new price, depending on condition and desirability. Looks like you've got stuff to sell that would be high on the desirability list.

Good luck.

David DeCristoforo
07-31-2008, 8:05 PM
40 - 60% of new cost is typical for used machinery in good working order. If your stuff is in "primo" condition, I would lean toward the high side of that and allow a bit of "wiggle room" because you know people will want to beat you down a bit....

Rod Sheridan
07-31-2008, 9:33 PM
I normally start at 65%, then drop down to 60% as everything I've ever sold has been in like new condition.

I recently purchased a Hammer A3-31 to replace some green stuff (General), and may purchase a Hammer B3 to replace more green stuff.

I wish I had been smart enough not to purchase North American machinery at the beginning, since the green stuff costs as much as the European stuff, it just isn't anywhere near as good.

Regards, Rod.

Ron Bontz
07-31-2008, 10:35 PM
Chris, I would agree with Dave on the pricing but start at 70% and work down if the tools are in excellent shape. 50 to 60% are reasonable numbers though. Also wood working tools seem to sell much better in the fall/ winter (woodworking season) as opposed to summer when everyone is busy outside. Best of luck what ever you do.:)

Gary Herrmann
07-31-2008, 11:01 PM
I guess my question would be why you want to sell your tools and go with a combo machine. Greater width on the jointer and planer and maybe a sliding table saw?

Is the loss you'll take on the tools you have plus the cost of the combo worth it to you? Then go for it.

I'd have gone that way myself, if there was any way to get something that big down into my shop.

Jim Becker
08-01-2008, 6:07 AM
Known brands in excellent condition will bring better resale than "house brands", etc. I've never woried about the "50% rule" for things like that an have always been able to get more when I've sold to upgrade. Like buying a new car, you are going to take some depreciation on the current equipment, but there is less of that on more desirable machines. I agree with starting at around 70% of current new if your stuff is in excellent condition. And in addition to listing here at SMC, (only $6 for you to do that in the Free Classifieds and you also get Contributor benefits) I also agree that Craig's List is the place to go, too.

Bob Aquino
08-01-2008, 6:31 AM
Couple of things to think about. I agree with Jim on getting maybe 60-70 percent on your tools. The saw I am not sure of, you have a lot of upgrades and generally you dont get out what you put in. I recently sold a 6" delta jointer for about 350 and the new cost 8 years ago was around 500. It was in good shape with a shop made mobile base.

I like shopping Craigslist but it sure does bring out the bottom feeders. People with rediculous ideas that you should sell your tool for half what you are offering it for. Also keep in mind that the economy is tight right now and folks in general aren't spending like they did a couple of years ago. It might take longer to sell all your equpment.

Jack Ganssle
08-01-2008, 7:10 AM
A little off topic, but a friend said about the value of tools: "I just hope that when I die, my wife doesn't sell them for what I told her I paid for them!"

Jim Becker
08-01-2008, 9:02 AM
Bob, the Platinum Edition was a special promotional color, but otherwise, identical to the Unisaw prior (including the "Grand Edition" which was Jet Ivory...really...) and the subsequent X5 re-branding. There was a period of time between about 1999 and 2003 or so that Delta did these special colors.

I had a "Grand Edition" Delta contractors' style saw before the Jet cabinet saw I moved to in about 2000. It was ivory, but identical to the "series 2000"...new design...contractors' style saw that was also available in Delta grey.

Chris McDowell
08-02-2008, 1:54 AM
Thanks everybody for the replies. If I decide to go that route, I would obviously post everything here in the classifieds. A lot depends on what I see and like in Atlanta.

Chris