PDA

View Full Version : Mortise Marking Gauge Tips?

Adam Cavaliere
07-31-2008, 6:20 PM
I just got a mortise marking gauge and am delving into the world or mortise and tenon joinery. The gauge I picked up was this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00020JNE2.

The question I have is, how do I accurately space out my measurement correctly? I am having a hard time getting this accurate and thought maybe some of you have some tips and tricks that could help me out with this.

Thanks!

Adam

John Bush
07-31-2008, 8:37 PM
Hi Adam,
Not sure which part of the measuring you are referring to. I determine the width of tenon I want, use a ruler(one of those 6" stainless types with 32nd increments) to set the two pins to that dimension, tighten the thumbscrew on the fence(??) so you can just barely slide it, then position the pins close to the center of your stock, press in enough to leave marks with the pins, then measure from the other side of the stock, sliding the fence(??) to get close to the center and repeat until the pins holes are the same from both sides of the stock. I don't change the pin setting and use it to mark the mortises and I have two gauges so I can set one for tenons and one for mortises if I need to. Once you do it a time or two you will find it easy and predictable. I cut my mortises first then measure and fine tune the tenons to them. Good luck, John.

Jesse Cloud
07-31-2008, 9:26 PM
If you are having trouble getting a consistent scribe line, file the pins down to a bevel, like a blade - it will do a much better job of cutting across the grain instead of following the grain.

Rod Sheridan
07-31-2008, 9:28 PM
I set the distance between the pins to the width of the mortice chisel (I don't measure it).

Then adjust it as John said so that your mortice is in the correct position and start chopping.

The tenon is then made to fit the mortice..........Rod.

mike holden
08-01-2008, 8:19 AM
At a guess here,
Is your problem one of centering the mortise?
If so, then take a guess, make a short mark from EACH side, then reset the pins to the middle of the short marks - Voila!
Now mark your full mortise.

Mike

Joe Scharle
08-01-2008, 9:47 AM
I have a rule with deep etched lines that the pins will stay in while I tighten.