PDA

View Full Version : Caster Advice needed

Joe Jensen
07-31-2008, 5:12 PM
I am going to build a mobile base for a new drum sander that weights 730 lbs. I would like it to roll much easier than it does on a temporary base I built with some Harbor Freight casters ($8ea).

I'm thinking a 4" diameter wheel or maybe 5" would be ok. I definitely want roller or ball bearings in the wheel and swivel.

What material should the wheel be, and where should I source. I found a great resource online at Caster City, but it looked like I need to spend around $60 each there, and those are not self leveling.

I like the ideal of self leveling, but I worry that a 2" diameter wheel will not roll that easy, and if I hit an expansion joint I'd be in trouble.

larry cronkite
07-31-2008, 5:15 PM
I have been getting my 4" ball bearing, swivel, lockable casters from Grizzly and have been very happy with them. I got a bad one in the last batch I ordered and then sent me a replacement right away.

Joe Jensen
07-31-2008, 5:55 PM
How easily do they roll? What load do you have on them? thanks...joe

Mikail Khan
07-31-2008, 7:53 PM
I've used 4" casters from Hartville tool on my 800# planer. 3" casters on my 400# bandsaw. Have worked well over the last 2 years.

I will be making a stand for a new jointer this weekend with their 4" casters.

They cost about $10 ea. Free shipping on orders over $75.

I've seen good reviews for the woodcraft casters on this forum, but I have never tried them.

Mikail

John Downey
07-31-2008, 8:05 PM
I've seen good reviews for the woodcraft casters on this forum, but I have never tried them.

I've got 3" swivel casters from Woodcraft under four machines, heaviest is probably in the 500# range. No complaints at all - more than I can say for Harbor Freight casters.

Regardless of where you get them, you might consider doing all four swivel if you aren't already. Makes rolling a beast around a lot easier.

John Bush
07-31-2008, 8:15 PM
Hi Joe,
Google Great Lakes Casters for their leveling casters. I used them on my 800#+ jointer, 650# BS, and 900# lathe. They roll very well and you lock them down by turning a cogged wheel that lowers and raises a hard rubber foot. Best thing is they are ~$12.00 each. I posted a thread with pics of the bases I made using these casters. Do a search or I could dig up the pics if you wish. Good luck, John.

Harley Reasons
07-31-2008, 8:32 PM
I just put a set of Woodcraft 3" swivels under the assembly table I'm building and they are excellent. I could't believe how easy it was to move that big table around. Plus, they lock the wheel and the stem when you hit the brake lock. The poly compound they use does not develop a flat spot like the rubber wheels do, this makes it very easy to move after sitting in one place for a long period of time.
I also have been looking at the grizz casters and have wondered about them. Probably will give them a shot for my next project because of the lower price.

larry cronkite
07-31-2008, 9:12 PM
How easily do they roll? What load do you have on them? thanks...joe

The Grizzly casters roll smoothly with a 150 lb bench drill press and large 3/4" cabinet under it.
I agree that all casters should swivel. Parking cabinets is like parking a car when only 2 cabinet wheels swivel.

I built some cabinets with only 2 swivels and quickly got spoiled when I bought my Hitachi TS with all 4 locking swivels.

Rod Sheridan
07-31-2008, 9:16 PM
Hi, I guess I'll play Don Quixote and tilt at windmills.

When I make mobile bases for heavy items, I never use casters, I use steel wheels. The wheels have roller bearings, and come in capacity ranges from about 600 to 1,200 pounds per wheel. I normally only raise the machine 1/2" off the floor.

Steel wheels have the lowest rolling friction of all wheel materials for heavy loads, don't chip or crack, and don't get material embedded in them.

I also would never use more than two swivel casters on anything heavy, since that much inertia can be a real problem when trying to steer the object.

An example of a semi live base made for my 660 pound planer is shown in the link below.

Hammer A3-31 Mobile Base (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=88687)

Regards, Rod.

Wayne Cannon
08-01-2008, 3:29 AM
I would definitely recommend polyurethane wheels for anything heavy. Rubber wheels (including hard rubber wheels) develop flat spots. Even a tiny obstruction tends to bring hard wheels (e.g., steel and hard plastics) to a stop if the floor is hard (e.g., concrete).

I use the largest casters (4" to 5") that will fit the application for lower rolling resistance, more responsive swiveling, and ease in rolling over an obstacle. I find the biggest constraint is the radius required for swivel casters to turn without hitting a skirt/apron sometimes places the wheels too close together for a stable platform -- smaller wheels can be places further apart for a more stable footprint.

Over the years, I've used several dozen Woodcraft double-locking casters. I've always been happy with them. I like their low-profile locking lever style; the store is close; and I haven't needed enough at any one time to invest the time for a more exhaustive search. Many companies sell a similar caster.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1989&productid=141050

Doug Shepard
08-01-2008, 5:20 AM
Hi Joe,
Google Great Lakes Casters for their leveling casters. I used them on my 800#+ jointer, 650# BS, and 900# lathe. They roll very well and you lock them down by turning a cogged wheel that lowers and raises a hard rubber foot. Best thing is they are ~$12.00 each. I posted a thread with pics of the bases I made using these casters. Do a search or I could dig up the pics if you wish. Good luck, John.

Ditto that. I've got the Zambus equivalent under my 600 Lb bandsaw and I dont think you can get a better typ of caster for heavy machinery. When the foot pads are lowered they're rock solid and it's not going anywhere. With them raised, you'll be able to rotate the machine in place (no back/forth due to 2 fixed+2 swivel)j and you grandma could move yor machine.

Joe Jensen
08-01-2008, 4:59 PM
Hi Joe,

John, my only hesitation around the leveling casters is the really small wheel. I'd that that any imperfection in the floor would make it hard to roll with such a small wheel. Can you comment on your floor? I have a smooth concrete garage floor, but I will need to roll over the expansion jounts that have a 1/2" or so roundover on each side. I will obviuosly have to fill them with something, but I doubt they will be perfect in the end.

Side question, has anyone filled their expansion joints, and if yes with what?

John Bush
08-03-2008, 2:55 AM
Hi Joe,
Sorry for the reply delay. I was actually in the shop making dust!! I have a smooth floor with expansion/fracture joints that were cut in with a diamond concrete saw. I haven't had any problems rolling all the machines around. I have several Delta bases that roll well also and all the types I have tend to do fine until I run into scrap that is 1/8"+ thick. No problems rolling over sawdust and chips. For the price I would give them a try. The feature that they don't swivel when locked down and ease in engineering a base are good points too. My jointer and lathe are heavy enough that I don't have to lock them down , but the BS needs it if I am resawing bigger stuff. Give "em a try, I think you will like them. JCB.