PDA

View Full Version : Latest rehab

Clint Jones
07-31-2008, 3:13 PM
Finishted up this type 18 no.4 today. If I would have shown you the before you wouldnt believe it is the same plane. I think it turned out OK. This will be one of my last ones for a while as the heat in the shop is unbearable and even with a mask the dust is starting to get to me. Hope you enjoy.:D
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r256/junkerjones/re1.jpg

Chris Kennedy
07-31-2008, 5:00 PM
Nicely done.

I hear you on the heat. I am part way through rehabbing an old 607, but have stopped because it is 95 + in the shop.

Cheers,

Chris

mike marconi
07-31-2008, 11:38 PM
Clint

Nice looking plane. Did you redo the japanning? If so did you use actual japanning or paint. If paint what type do you suggest?

I'm in the middle of 605 restoration and after an Evapo-Rust bath and some scrubbing it has absolutely no finish left on it.

Thanks Mike

Johnny Kleso
08-01-2008, 12:00 AM
I have re-finished maybe 75-100 planes and tried all methods down to making Japanning..

What I use now is Dupilcolor MOTOR Paint..
NOT High Heat!!!
Motor Paint in semi-Gloss Black, Gloss Black will work..

I use no primer execpt low gloss black if I can find as many cans of SG Black as I need..

Most big auto stores carry it like AutoZone and Advanced...

You need to put 4-5 light coats ending in 2 heavy coats .. Make sure you let them dry 15-25 mins betwwen coats and start with light coats getting heavy till you get the look of Japanning..

Also paint shrinks as it dries over night so make sure you have the heavy coating look of Japanning..

Check my Japanning page at www.rexmill.com

Brian J. Williams
08-01-2008, 12:26 AM
Very nice looking work, Clint.

mike marconi
08-01-2008, 1:06 AM
Thanks Johnny

Just read through your entire site. Great information, just what I was looking for.

Mike