PDA

View Full Version : His and her bar stools

Adam Grills
07-31-2008, 2:39 PM
Hello all,

Here is a pair of bar stools- Maloof, Scott Morrison or sculpted style that I have completed. They are hard maple with blackwood plugs measuring 22" x 34". The first one (on the right) was constructed on the fly to be a prototype- no detailed measurements etc just a very rough hand drawn sketch and the idea. I just cut and shaped till it looked and felt right when sitting in it. It turned out well so the second was made to match. Finished with 4 coats wipe on poly.

They are quite comfortable, which was my goal. Although challenging I very much enjoyed making these. Just wish I was better at taking pictures :mad:

Adam

John Thompson
07-31-2008, 3:21 PM
Extremely nice, Adam. The maples looks great and the "on the fly" method worked fine by trusting your eye. BTW.. aren't you a little young to be drinking? :D just kiddin' of course......

Sarge..

Ken Fitzgerald
07-31-2008, 3:25 PM
Nicely done Adam. Great looking joinery!

Jack Camillo
07-31-2008, 4:59 PM
Beautiful work. Had they been done a few months ago, you'd have scored super high in that "maple build off" (or whatever it was called).

Dewey Torres
07-31-2008, 5:02 PM
That's got to be about the best design for bar stools (normally a boring looking build). But you made these very interesting. You won't find these suckers at the A-Z furniture stores!

Great design.

Greg Cole
07-31-2008, 5:15 PM
Very very nice Adam. On the fly is how I do almost everything.... not so sure I'd dive into chair building flying that way. Well done.
The more of the Maloof style I see, the more I likey.
Are they matching sizes? My folks have a set of his n hers Windsor chairs (made in the Windsor VT prison when they made them there) and oddly enough the his is 4 inches wider.

Cheers (pun intended this time).
Greg

Jim Becker
08-01-2008, 5:56 AM
Beautiful work, Adam!

Adam Grills
08-01-2008, 8:11 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind words.

Are they matching sizes? My folks have a set of his n hers Windsor chairs (made in the Windsor VT prison when they made them there) and oddly enough the his is 4 inches wider.Greg

They are within a 1/16th in every direction.

Jack,
I didn't know about a maple build off. Too bad, maybe next time.

Adam