View Full Version : David Marks is in the latest issue of Woodwork Magazine

David Cramer
07-31-2008, 1:30 PM
For those who are interested, David Marks is in the latest issue of Woodworks Magazine that will probably hit the newstands soon. A really cool interview that can be found at woodwork-mag.com. I find it very interesting how David started and the path he took to get to where he is now.

Yeah, I'm a HUGE David Marks fan, I openly admit it and had a blast taking a class with him almost 2 years ago. But even if you're not, how could that be:confused:, I'm sure most will surely be interested in the article.

I've said before that people forget about the "lean years" that fella's like David have been through to get to the level he is now, but after reading the article, I think most will agree he's earned it:). Just my opinion of course.

I hope you all enjoy the article as much as I did.

David

Bill Keehn
07-31-2008, 3:40 PM
Thanks! I'll be sure to check that out.

I took a class on handmade dovetails from David and attended one of his workshops this year. He's a good instructor and pretty easy to listen to. While it was fun to learn to make dovetails from David, I could have easily gotten that from a book. What made it worthwhile was hearing his stories.

You say the "lean years" as if it is in the past. I'm not sure that's true. Growing up with professional artists as parents I can tell you that when the economy is down, art is the first luxury that people find they can do without. His art sells in the $20K range, but I doubt he sells a piece like that every day.

While he's paid his dues and certainly has "made it" as far as recognition is concerned, he still has to work for a living. Right now he said he's thinking about how to build up enough income for retirement. When he mentioned that he doesn't get royalties for the DIY series I couldn't believe it. Apparently it is standard practice for them, which is why they don't employ anyone with a screen actors guild card. At least it created opportunities for him.

He's trying his hand at producing his own training videos on DVD. I encourage you David Marks fans out there to buy one. I bought the following video at woodcraft and it was pretty good.
http://www.amazon.com/Fixtures-Curvilinear-Woodworking-David-Marks/dp/B000PDZS90/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1217532923&sr=1-1

He has another on chemical patinization but I don't have it yet. I've only ever seen it at Woodcraft.

Peter Quadarella
07-31-2008, 3:59 PM
Thanks for the tip David; I read the interview article and it was very interesting.

Dewey Torres
07-31-2008, 4:51 PM
I saw that article and I liked it as well. I also spent some quality time with David. Pat Germain and I kidnapped him during the lunch break in February at the Loveland woodcraft.
During lunch, he was very candid and told us lots of stories. Surprisingly, he was also interested in us. I posted a pic or 2 to my album under my profile.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=77581&highlight=david+marks+class

Jamie Buxton
07-31-2008, 9:32 PM
David --
A slight change of topic... How can I subscribe to Woodwork magazine? That web site has no info about subscriptions, and doesn't even have any contact info for the site. It is almost like they don't want to get new subscribers.

Doug Shepard
07-31-2008, 10:01 PM
That was a good read. Does anyone know if the entire set of DIY shows was ever made available on DVD? I dont get the DIY network so I've only been able to see the dozen or so shows that were aired on HGTV several years ago. I checked a year or so ago and it didn't seem at the time that you could buy the shows but maybe that's changed?

Ben Davis
07-31-2008, 10:20 PM
Nope. AS of now, they are not available on tape or DVD. You're only bet is to get someone else to burn or record you a copy. They are absolutely great shows though showing some simple and some complicated techniques. I really appreciated how on one episodes (sofa table) he mentioned that it took hours to perfect the shape he was after. Unlike Norm, he didn't pretend like it could be done in 30 min.

David Cramer
07-31-2008, 11:17 PM
Very good question Jamie Buxton! I will try to get the info and pm you tomorrow. It's not on the website so I'll snag one of my magazines and get some contact info for ya.

Bill Keehn, all I can say is the lean years that David spoke of while teaching a course at Woodcraft are way, way behind him, believe it or not.

I mean nothing personal by my response to you, so please:) don't take it that way. I can tell you he's come a long way since his early days of struggling and he's earned where he is now. No, I'm not saying he's a millonaire, but he's doing well and I couldn't be :)happier:) for him!

He's awesome! If you told me I could spend the day with David Marks or Lebron James/Tiger Woods/Tom Brady, I wouldn't think twice about it. David Marks all the way and yes, I'm serious!!!!

The guy is as genuine and as giving as they come. He truely inspired me to do things in woodworking that I didn't believe I was capable of.

You can search my posts and read about my personal experience and how he made my daughter (age 6 at the time) an even bigger fan than she already was. He's no phoney, but instead an all-around classy guy.

By the way, I bought the video at Woodcraft also, and I agree that it's pretty good indeed.

Peace,

David

Dave Tinley
08-01-2008, 12:24 AM
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk14/texasthunderww/Texasthunder%20Furniture/DaveDavid.jpg

Yes- DM is very down to earth and always seems to find time to talk to fellow woodworkers, no matter their experience.

If I won the Sawmill Creek drawing for free instructions in woodworking, I would choose to take my classes from him

Kevin Adams
08-01-2008, 7:32 AM
Jamie--

I believe they are not taking subscriptions right now due to a pending change of publisher. Many of us that have subscribed to Woodwork for years now are holding our breath as to what that means for the future of this magazine, one of which there is no equal in my mind.

Thanks.
Kevin

mike holden
08-01-2008, 7:58 AM
Jamie,
according to the editors column, woodwork will stop publishing as of December 2008 issue. However, the editor also said that another publishing house is buying the rights and no further details at this time.
That would explain why they are not accepting subscriptions.
But what will happen and when - no firm answers yet.
Mike

Gregory Stahl
08-01-2008, 8:50 AM
Season 7 used to be available from Amazon Unbox, but it looks as though they have removed the ability to download the episodes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JRDK60/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=digital-video&qid=1217594751&sr=8-1

-Greg Stahl

David Cramer
08-01-2008, 10:21 AM
Sorry Jamie and others, I had no idea about a pending change of publishers. I just buy mine from Borders or Barnes & Nobles. Hopefully they get it straightened out and anyone who has a subscription is treated fairly:). I obviously didn't read the editor's column (me bad) or I would have known what Mike Holden put in his post.

Nice photo of you and David, Mr. Tinley, and thanks for posting it.

David

Pat Germain
08-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Season 7 used to be available from Amazon Unbox, but it looks as though they have removed the ability to download the episodes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JRDK60/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=digital-video&qid=1217594751&sr=8-1

-Greg Stahl

Well doesn't that blow monkey chunks! I was expecting them to add the other six seasons and they eliminated the one season they had. Sheesh, this world just doesn't make sense. :mad:

Bill Keehn
08-06-2008, 7:54 PM
Bill Keehn, all I can say is the lean years that David spoke of while teaching a course at Woodcraft are way, way behind him, believe it or not.

I mean nothing personal by my response to you, so please:) don't take it that way. I can tell you he's come a long way since his early days of struggling and he's earned where he is now. No, I'm not saying he's a millonaire, but he's doing well and I couldn't be :)happier:) for him!

David, I would never take it personally :). It was just the impression I got during his time with us last summer. If he's doing well, then I'm happy for him too. He did seem to be a genuinely nice person. Someone I'd gladly have a beer with.

-Bill

Bill Keehn
08-06-2008, 8:44 PM
Nope. AS of now, they are not available on tape or DVD. You're only bet is to get someone else to burn or record you a copy. They are absolutely great shows though showing some simple and some complicated techniques. I really appreciated how on one episodes (sofa table) he mentioned that it took hours to perfect the shape he was after. Unlike Norm, he didn't pretend like it could be done in 30 min.

If you know how to use eMule, you can download all 91 shows in AVI format.

Ben, to be fair to Norm, he often mentions where he has spent time in advance designing and measuring. They even mention where it would be a good time to leave things be overnight to pick it up the next day.

That said, I agree he makes things look too easy. "Now after gluing up this table top, I'll run it through my 4 foot wide industrial belt sander a few times..." Thats about where he looses me.

I was going to make plantation shutters and I got the router bit set from Woodline. Then I saw on the TV schedule that Norm was making them too, so I made sure to watch it. I wanted to know what sort of jig he was going to make to hold the slats steady when routing the elliptical profile. So he gets to that part and says, "To make the slats I'll use this moulding machine (Williams & Hussey) and a cutter I had custom made. If you don't have one of these, you can easily order a set of router bits from a specialty supplier."

Can I have a show of hands? Which of us amatuers has a Williams and Hussey sitting around? I don't.

I think woodworking for Norm is about the tools he uses and getting it done as efficiently as possible (minimal effort). The wood is just material he must use. He thinks and works like someone doing production work. Maybe thats why so many of his field trips are to factories.

David clearly loves the wood. He takes his time and agonizes over the details. You expect him to use the tools that will give the best result, not the tools that make it easiest. He thinks like an artist. Thats why his field trips take you to places to buy beautiful wood or to meet his mentors.

By the way, have you noticed that Norm builds two of everything while David only builds one? So right off the bat you have a production vs one of a kind approach built into the production of the show.

-Bill.