PDA

View Full Version : Using Dowelmax and Cutting Exposed Dowels

Mike Shields
07-31-2008, 1:12 PM
I'm ready to spend my hard earned cash on a product that gets overwhelming excellent reviews: Dowelmax.

I plan on using this jig to create holes for contrasting-exposed wood dowels.

How do you go about cutting the plugs for a perfect fitting dowel?

Are all plug cutters greated equal?

Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks!

Shawn Walker
07-31-2008, 4:30 PM
I'm ready to spend my hard earned cash on a product that gets overwhelming excellent reviews: Dowelmax.

I plan on using this jig to create holes for contrasting-exposed wood dowels.

How do you go about cutting the plugs for a perfect fitting dowel?

Are all plug cutters greated equal?

Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks!
I don't know about all plug cutters but... I've used cheap ones that didn't work very well, then I tried the tapered plug cutters from Lee Valley and they work very well.

Ron Dunn
07-31-2008, 4:35 PM
Isn't there a difference between a plug-cutter and a dowel?

A plug is (to my weak knowledge) often tapered, which would make it useless as a dowel because it wouldn't have a constant gluing surface along its entire length.

I've seen "dowel plates" which are steel plates drilled with holes through which you force sized timber to make an accurately trimmed dowel, but I can't say how well they work.

Why not give Dowelmax a call and ask their opinion?

Mike Shields
07-31-2008, 4:49 PM
A plug is (to my weak knowledge) often tapered, which would make it useless as a dowel because it wouldn't have a constant gluing surface along its entire length.

Don't plan on using a plug as a dowel. My plan, if practical for the Dowelmax doweling jig, is to drill a hole (not for a dowel) and fill with a contrasting wood.

I know various wood types for dowels are available from manufacturers, but that can be expensive. Why not cut your own from scraps?

From what I've seen on the internet, plug-cutters can make straight cuts:

Mike Shields
07-31-2008, 6:51 PM
Sorry, as I can see that my post is confusing when talking about using dowels, and also using cut plugs.

Brian Penning
07-31-2008, 7:06 PM
The tapered plug cutters from Lee valley are excellent.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=32320&cat=1,180,42288

I just use a Forstner bit for making the holes. I'd even venture to say that the Forstner would likely make a cleaner edged hole than the Dowelmax drill bit.
The tapered plug fills any slight imperfections in the hole edges.

If this is your only reason for buying the Dowelmax you're wasting your money imo.

Mike Shields
07-31-2008, 10:02 PM
If this is your only reason for buying the Dowelmax you're wasting your money imo.

No, it wouldn't be the only reason. $270 to drill a hole is crazy!

I was looking to double-duty the Dowelmax, and start by using contrasting-wood plugs on some picture frames. Using it for dowels is in the next project.

Thanks for your advice.