PDA

View Full Version : Favre's $20 Million To Stay Retired...

Phyllis Meyer
07-31-2008, 10:52 AM
I can't be silent any longer, and I'm sure you all will have some great opinions! I am a huge Brett Favre and Packers fan, and was there for the championship game in the cold at Lambeau Field as they lost...but still had an amazing time!

I watched the retirement press conference again (yes I taped it), and to hear Brett say, "I have nothing left to give"...ya da, ya da...the tears...and then the March episode of them offering him to come back and he turned it down...this has got to end! Do I want to see Brett Favre in another jersey (they are saying possibly Bears:mad:/Vikings:(), no! Do I think he should stay retired, yes! Can he still play, I'm sure he can! Many mixed emotions here from a woman's point of view, and what happens if Aaron Rodgers gets hurt? Bring Favre back and he sits, ok, I guess I would be for that also! Ok, now it's your turn to comment and I will re-read the Perfect Woman's Guide from the 50's, they probably didn't watch football then either!:D:)

Have a great day!
Phyllis

Mike Henderson
07-31-2008, 12:29 PM
I don't know much about football. Who is Favre and why would anyone pay him $20 million to stay retired?

I wish someone would pay me to stay retired.

Mike

Lee Schierer
07-31-2008, 12:42 PM
I don't know much about football. Who is Favre and why would anyone pay him $20 million to stay retired?

I wish someone would pay me to stay retired.

Mike

I'll retire tomorrow and stay that way for just $1,000,000. I'll even buy my own footballs and bait. :D

Greg Peterson
07-31-2008, 2:07 PM
I'm a Packers fan 1st, and a Brett Favre fan 2nd. IMO, The Packers and Favre were a match made in heaven.

I was sad to see Favre retire, but we all knew it was eventually going to happen. I adjusted and got use to the fact that ol' #4 wasn't going to be in the backfield of my beloved Packers. I am looking forward to a new era in the Packers dynasty.

Regardless of how this is resolved, there will be no winners. It is unseemly, messy and very unfortunate.

I will always be a fan of Brett's absolute joy and enthusiasm for the game and will watch him when the games are available.

But my allegiance remains tethered to the Green Bay Packers.

Bruce Page
07-31-2008, 2:48 PM
John Elway did it the right way, win back to back SB's and walk away.

Curt Harms
07-31-2008, 3:11 PM
I'll retire tomorrow and stay that way for just $1,000,000. I'll even buy my own footballs and bait. :D

Beat me to it.:)

Ken Fitzgerald
07-31-2008, 3:16 PM
Favre's enthusiasm and boyful glee in the game was truly a delight to watch. I probably only got to see a dozen or so televised Packers game while he played.

While he may still have some football left in him, I hate to see any of the great athletes stay beyond their time. Not only do they generally start to degrade their professional reputations but there is always the chance of serious injury. My favorite athlete from my childhood.....I have a 36"x24" oil portrait of him hanging on the wall of my familyroom........ Ali. Staying too long.....not a good thing for most athletes!

I hope Favre stays retired for his own good.

But nobody will win in this sticky situation.

Lee DeRaud
07-31-2008, 3:41 PM
I'll retire tomorrow and stay that way for just $1,000,000. I'll even buy my own footballs and bait. :DNo way. If I'm gonna take $19M less than Favre, the least they can do is throw in a bucket of worms. :p

Chris Padilla
07-31-2008, 7:14 PM
John Elway did it the right way, win back to back SB's and walk away.

Hear, hear! Not many will get to walk away like Elway did. Look around, pretty rare. Gary Zimmerman retired after the first Super Bowl win and he finaly got into the HOF.

Perhaps Brett should replay his "retirement" speech! It is all unfortunate and nothing can be taken back now.

Danny Thompson
07-31-2008, 11:25 PM
Whatever! Phil Simms keeps telling him, "You can never go back."

Think of the one thing in the world you are the best at, that people praise you for, and see if you could walk away from it.

Could you give up your woodshop, forever? for the equivalent of one or two year's salary?

Go Favre!

Greg Peterson
08-01-2008, 12:29 AM
$20 million is a bit more than a year or two salary, even for Favre.

Would I give up my shop for two years worth of my salary? Nope. But my salary is pretty insignificant to begin with.

The Favre family is set for a good long time, before the $20 million offer was tendered.

Dave Bender
08-01-2008, 9:11 AM
I just love this bit of useless Packer/Favre drama. I can't wait to see that Diva sitting on the sidelines with a clipboard.

Randy Cohen
08-01-2008, 9:28 AM
Either his retirement announcement was not well thought out or very well thought out. Not well thought out if he was being sincere and didn't realize that he still really wants to play. Or very well thought out to generate some income upon his announced unretirement.
I know there is emotional attachment to the man and even though I'm not a Packers fan he has always been great to watch. But of course none of us knows what he is really like and how he really thinks.
Heres hoping that a man who has entertained so many of us for so long ends up in a positive light.

Belinda Barfield
08-01-2008, 10:09 AM
I will re-read the Perfect Woman's Guide from the 50's, they probably didn't watch football then either!:D:)
Phyllis

Phyllis,

I don't think you and I are ever going to be those perfect women if we can't watch football! I was a Packers fan in high school, but haven't really followed them since. I did tune into a game now and then during Favre's career, and I admired his style and sheer enjoyment of the game. IMHO, this is playing out like some really ugly divorce. Definitely not a class act on Favre's part, and I'm a little disappointed in that. I do understand the point that he possibly made a mistake and his heart wasn't truly ready for retirement. Sadly, I don't think he has a real option at this point. I know for you he was almost like family, so I can relate to your alternating anger/sadness.

Hang in there, you never know what the coming season will bring!