PDA

View Full Version : New addition to the stable!

John Miliunas
04-27-2004, 10:22 PM
NO, LOML is NOT expecting! This is an addition to my Festool stable! :D Just got another Festool sander. This is the RS400. It's a rectangular orbital jobbie, great for getting up against flat surfaces and along edges, such as inside panels of AC doors and the like. I was busy with other projects, so I couldn't give a real good once-over, but initial impressions are all typical Festool: Great quality, real, REAL smooth operation, light and a comfortable grip. :D LOML will be using it, as well, and she gave it a quick go and likes it, too! ;) That brings my bright green count up to five. As usual, our own Bob Marino handled the transaction as only Bob can do! I mentioned to LOML and, I really mean it: Why in blazes can't US manufacturers take the lead of a company like this and produce something equal or better? Until then, Festool will continue to be my #1 choice in portable power tools! :cool:

Waymon Campbell
04-27-2004, 10:42 PM
That brings my bright green count up to five.

Congrats John.

But alas, I am "festool-less". I might have to rectify that :D !

John Miliunas
04-27-2004, 10:58 PM
Thanks Waymon! I simply can't say enough positive things about the Festool products AND service! :D I notice that we don't see the once very popular term, "World Class" when talking about products. These tools fit that term completely! Yeah, just a tad on the pricey side, but the first time you use one of them, you truly forget about the $$ spent. And, when you DO realize what you spent on it, it takes nothing to justify the expenditure! Did I happen to mention that I really like Festool?! :rolleyes: Treat yourself to one of their tools and tell me you can't agree. The biggest "problem" with buying one of their units is, you soon find yourself wanting the next one and the next one and the...... :D This particular sander will be playing a vital role in both, our bathroom and kitchen remodel. As far as I'm concerned, the faster and easier *any* tool can make either of these projects progress, the happier I'll be! (LOML, too! :rolleyes: ) :cool:

Jim Harsha
04-27-2004, 11:27 PM
Thanks John, I'm considering that very addition to my green collection as we "speak". Let us know how you like(love!) it when you get a chance to put it through its paces.

John Miliunas
04-27-2004, 11:42 PM
Let us know how you like(love!) it when you get a chance to put it through its paces.

You bet, Jim! I certainly will! :cool:

Dick Parr
04-27-2004, 11:53 PM
Congratulations John!

Lloyd Robins
04-27-2004, 11:53 PM
Alright, John! How do you keep up? Just learning how to use all these new toys (tools) must leave you exhausted. But I guess that a bad day of woodworking is better than a day of regular work. Except if you mess up some stiles for mission furniture then I am not certain that would hold true . Anyway enjoy! :D

Frank Pellow
04-28-2004, 7:17 AM
Congratulations John! You say you have 5 Festool tools. Which ones are they?

I have two tools (the PS2 E jigsaw and the ATF 55 E circular saw) as well as the CT 22 E vacuum even though Festool stuff is even pricier in Canada. There are several more tools that I would like including at least one sander.

John Miliunas
04-28-2004, 7:50 AM
Congratulations John! You say you have 5 Festool tools. Which ones are they?

Thanks guys! Frank, I have three of their sanders, the little 125, the 150/5 (for more aggressive removal, yet still good for finishing) and now the RS400. I too have their jigsaw, though it's the PS 300 EQ-Plus. Rounding out the stable with the TDD cordless drill. I still have my eye on the ATF 55 and am looking to see what the new US version of the router will be like. :)

Lloyd, really zero "learning curve". The only thing I need to be concious of, is to hook up the shop vac to most of these tools, 'cuz the dust collection on them *really* works! :D

Have I ever mentioned that I'm really impressed with Festool?! :D (Dennis Peacock, it's still ALL YOUR fault!) :cool:

Tyler Howell
04-28-2004, 8:17 AM
Go Bro, The more you get the more we share!

John Miliunas
04-28-2004, 8:30 AM
Go Bro, The more you get the more we share!

You got it, my man! So, when you plan on coming over? I'll have some face frames lined up for you to *share* in sanding! :D :cool:

Kelly C. Hanna
04-28-2004, 8:39 AM
I have heard very good things about Festool...sure do like the look of them (I want the circ saw!). Congrats on your sander!

Jim Becker
04-28-2004, 8:52 AM
Jeepers, I can't keep up with you, John! I'm still a one-Festool shop, but not for long...:p

Chris Padilla
04-28-2004, 10:25 AM
Uh, Mr. Miliunas, where OH WHERE are the obligatory pics with this gloat????

My 150/5 and the CT-11e is seeing lots of use by the LOML and I grab the CDD-12 (drill) at least once a week. I'm not sure what Festool product is next on my list but I am thinking I still want the Rotex and jigsaw.... :D

Mike Palmer
04-28-2004, 12:43 PM
John, I have the RS400 also. Unfortunately, I have not been very pleased with mine. It is smooth as silk when you turn it on and hold it in the air but when you put it down on the material it vibrates a considerable amount. To me, it doesn't sand but it hops across the material. I purchased it as a replacement for my PC speed-bloc 330, but outside of the dust collection, it not even close to being as smooth and controllable. I have other Festool sanders that I love (RO 150 and ES 150/3) but this one is very disappointing. I am considering sending it back. But I want to give it another chance before I do so. I don't know if the vacuum at full suction is causing the hopping or what. I also purchased the half sheet sander (RS 2E) to replace my PC 505. It not as smooth as to 505 but it is livable. The dust collection makes me overlook the vibration to some extent.

I use my orbital sanders mainly to sand between finishing coats. The last finishing job I mainly used the RS2E. But, I could feel myself being drawn back to the PC's. It is my opinion that Festools RO sanders are EXCELLENT but there is room for improvement in the orbital line. Just my 2 cents. FWIW.

Jim VanBramer
04-28-2004, 12:57 PM
John ... we're going to have to put a stop to all new tool purchases until we see some pics from something off of that spinny thing you picked up a few weeks ago!!! :eek:

John Miliunas
04-28-2004, 1:07 PM
John ... we're going to have to put a stop to all new tool purchases until we see some pics from something off of that spinny thing you picked up a few weeks ago!!! :eek:

Jim, product off of big spinny thing forthcoming! Working on the finish right now! It's nothing remarkable, but it is NOT something I would've/could've done with my little guy! :) Patience Jim. Patience. ;) You know...Like that one commercial: "We will sell no wine before its time...". :D :cool:

Frank Pellow
04-28-2004, 1:20 PM
John, I have the RS400 also. Unfortunately, I have not been very pleased with mine. It is smooth as silk when you turn it on and hold it in the air but when you put it down on the material it vibrates a considerable amount. To me, it doesn't sand but it hops across the material. I purchased it as a replacement for my PC speed-bloc 330, but outside of the dust collection, it not even close to being as smooth and controllable. I have other Festool sanders that I love (RO 150 and ES 150/3) but this one is very disappointing. I am considering sending it back. But I want to give it another chance before I do so. I don't know if the vacuum at full suction is causing the hopping or what. I also purchased the half sheet sander (RS 2E) to replace my PC 505. It not as smooth as to 505 but it is livable. The dust collection makes me overlook the vibration to some extent.

I use my orbital sanders mainly to sand between finishing coats. The last finishing job I mainly used the RS2E. But, I could feel myself being drawn back to the PC's. It is my opinion that Festools RO sanders are EXCELLENT but there is room for improvement in the orbital line. Just my 2 cents. FWIW.

John, I am very interested in hearing a report from you re this sander, particuarly in the light of Mikes unfavourable critique.

John Miliunas
04-28-2004, 1:44 PM
John, I am very interested in hearing a report from you re this sander, particuarly in the light of Mikes unfavourable critique.

Frank, I'll see if I can't steal some time from my "other" ongoing project to give it a bit more of a go this evening. No promises; Depends on how many other "honey-do's" LOML may have left for me to do, first! :cool:

Frank Pellow
04-28-2004, 3:06 PM
Thanks John, there is no hurry. It will be some time before I decide which Festool sander(s) to purchase.

I like the term "honey-do's". It would certainly be very applicable to Martgaret and me. I think that I will start using it.

I have seen a lot of people on this forum refering to their wives using the acronym LOML. What does it stand for?

Dan Stuewe
04-28-2004, 3:18 PM
Why in blazes can't US manufacturers take the lead of a company like this and produce something equal or better? :cool:

John, your statement reminds me of an article I read several years ago in Automobile magaize (I think). Anyway, at the time Chevy was contemplating changing the Camaro from a "muscle car" to a Euro-fighter. The article complained about why Chevy would want to do this since for every Audi sold in the US 10 Cameros were sold (my numbers probably aren't right, but that was the jist of it). What struck me was that I'm guessing that Automobile magazine hadn't raved about a Camaro in a decade or two while every month the magazine gushes over the latest from BMW or Audi.

Now, whether Chevy or Porter-Cable can make a car or sander up to the top of the line Euro products remains to be seen, but from a bean counter standpoint (of which I am not), why would they?

Mike Palmer
04-28-2004, 3:41 PM
John, your statement reminds me of an article I read several years ago in Automobile magaize (I think). Anyway, at the time Chevy was contemplating changing the Camaro from a "muscle car" to a Euro-fighter. The article complained about why Chevy would want to do this since for every Audi sold in the US 10 Cameros were sold (my numbers probably aren't right, but that was the jist of it). What struck me was that I'm guessing that Automobile magazine hadn't raved about a Camaro in a decade or two while every month the magazine gushes over the latest from BMW or Audi.

Now, whether Chevy or Porter-Cable can make a car or sander up to the top of the line Euro products remains to be seen, but from a bean counter standpoint (of which I am not), why would they?

Being the tool junkie that I am, It is my opinion that each of the US and Euro tool companies make good tools. However, each company's tools are not ALL great. Porter Cable makes some really good tools and some crappy ones also. I think each company works to make their niche and spends R&D money to stay at the top in those areas. The rest of the tool line gets crumbs and the products are less than stellar. My shop is filled with many different color tools. My brand loyalty is only as deep as the quality of the products.

Chris Padilla
04-28-2004, 3:50 PM
I have seen a lot of people on this forum refering to their wives using the acronym LOML. What does it stand for?
Love Of My Life

Appropriate, right? We hope.... :)

Dennis Peacock
04-28-2004, 4:31 PM
AS John has very well stated......Festool is the WAY TO GO!!!!! I have really, REALLY enjoyed what few Festools I have and do plane on getting more. Mr. Bob Marino is THE MAN to deal with when making purchases of the Festool line. He is very knowledgable of the tool line and will assist you in getting the right tool for your very needs.

<b>By a Festool Tool Today....you will NOT regret it!!!</b>

Frank Pellow
04-28-2004, 5:01 PM
Love Of My Life

Appropriate, right? We hope.... :)

:) It is appropriate! :)

Our first date (to a hockey game of course) happened when Margaret was 15 and I was 17. Since I am now 62, that seems to be most of my life.

John Miliunas
04-29-2004, 11:41 PM
John, I have the RS400 also. Unfortunately, I have not been very pleased with mine. It is smooth as silk when you turn it on and hold it in the air but when you put it down on the material it vibrates a considerable amount. To me, it doesn't sand but it hops across the material.

First, thanks to all who responded to the original post. What Mike said here, really peaked my interest, so between yesterday evening and this evening, I did some research and experimenting. (I also received a personal call last evening from Bob Marino regarding the situation! Thanks Bob!) Anyhow, it IS the nature of an orbital sander to inherently have more vibration than a ROS. Also, given the fact that the "pad" on the bottom isn't near as "cushy" as most ROS are, a bit more vibration is to be expected. By the same token, it is also more likely to give a more uniform flat finish.

That notwithstanding, I concur with Mike that the vibration when trying to sand a panel was overwhelming. It did indeed feel as though the sander was "hopping" across the surface. I noted, however, that when part of the pad hung over the edge of the panel, it settled right down. This pointed me in the direction, which Mike made mention of, that being, the dust collection via a vacuum. When I removed the hose, voilą: All was smooth, even in the middle of the panel! After speaking to Bob last night, it seems as though the high volume of vacuum is indeed the culprit. At this point, we need to remember that, just as most tool lines have a "system", so does Festool. Part of their system is employing the Festool vacs, which I think, by no coincidence, have adjustable vacuum! OK, here I'll say what you may be thinking: "But I don't have a Festool vac. Why should I have to buy one of their vacs to make this work?!" Well, at least, that's what *I* thought, anyway. I have a perfectly good (and quiet) Fein Mini-Turbo and this is the type of work I originally bought it for. So, all is lost now, right?

Not quite. When I purchase any Festool, which has a dust port on it, one of the first things I do is to stop down to my local Woodcraft and pick up a rubber step-down adapter, which fits the Fein hose end. I did it for the RS400, as well. For $2.99, it's a bargain. After work today, I hit the shop and setup the sander w/vac. I then grabbed my drill (Festool, of course! :D ) and chucked in a 1/4" bit. There's plenty of void space in the adapter, between the hose hookup and the dust port on the sander. I started drilling holes in the rubber adapter, which essentially dropped the amount of suction at the business end of the sander. I ended up with eight 1/4" holes on the adapter and found that the unit performed quite smoothly down to about the 3.5 mark on the variable speed dial. Much lower and I'd experience the "hopping" again and could actually feel the suction at the pad when trying to remove it from the board. I then threw on an 1/8" bit and continued drilling another row of holes. Eight more small holes and I regained good control down below the #3 speed of the sander. For me, this is plenty good, as too much slower and I could just about do it by hand as quickly. Others may still want to use slower speeds, in which case, I think I would try re-drilling the second set of holes out a bit bigger. I didn't want to press my luck with too many large holes, as I was afraid I may loose the integrity of the adapter. I still might pick up another one (just in case) and try it with larger holes, to further reduce the suction.

Now, some of you may wonder what all this vacuum reduction has done to the quality of the finish and dust pickup. Well, it's a damn sight better than the sander dancing across my work, the sander does a fine job of sanding :rolleyes: and the dust collection itself is superb!

I've posted a couple pics to give you some idea of what I did. Is it an "ideal" solution? No. Certainly not an elegant one, either. BUT, it does work and works quite well. I could, however, see Festool offering a more elegant solution to non-Festool vacuum users. A simple adapter for their port, with one of those sliding "gates" (venturi) to decrease vacuum to the tool, is all that would be needed. I'd probably buy one, but for now, my little "fix" will work just fine. :) Obviously, the *ideal* solution would be to have one of their system vacs with the variable suction, but I have to wait until my "Big Bertha" shop vac bites the dust. (Yeah, yeah...Crappy pun, but I couldn't resist!) :D :cool:

David Rose
04-30-2004, 2:43 AM
John, I just got their new catalog. How did they know? Big Brother Festool is watching! Their router in my catalog only shows 1/4 and 8mm (I think) collets. I wonder if they will offer us a 1/2" on this side of the pond.

David

Frank Pellow
04-30-2004, 6:44 AM
John, I just got their new catalog. How did they know? Big Brother Festool is watching! Their router in my catalog only shows 1/4 and 8mm (I think) collets. I wonder if they will offer us a 1/2" on this side of the pond.

David

David, I found a Festool router with a 1/2 inch collet (model 2000) on thier Australian web site and posed the same question on this forum. This was a couple of months ago and Bob Mario responded with: "The 2000 router was shown at a recent Solid Surface show in Las Vegas. It is a 2000 watt (3 1/2hp) router, hence Model 2000 will be available before the summer, and yes will be less than $500.00.".

Bob Marino
04-30-2004, 6:44 AM
David,

Yes, they will. It is the OF 2000; a 3/12 HP plunge. Should be here by the end of June.

Bob

Frank Pellow
04-30-2004, 6:45 AM
Nice solution to the problem John.

David Rose
04-30-2004, 2:07 PM
Ugh! I was afraid of that. :rolleyes: "You can't ever have too many routers", you know. :D

David

David,

Yes, they will. It is the OF 2000; a 3/12 HP plunge. Should be here by the end of June.

Bob

John Weber
05-06-2004, 11:29 PM
John,

You are the Festool master. Congrats on your new little baby. I've check them out at Woodcraft, but still get a little sticker stocked. Hard to believe I would like it more then my DeWalt ROS, I use the heck out of that thing, it may be my most used tool. Works great, plus I have about 500 disk I would need to switch if I changed brands. Well it's only money, hopefully someday I'll have a little green and black in the shop. You need to post a pic of your little family sometime.

Take Care - John

Mark Singer
05-06-2004, 11:57 PM
John,
I am still sanding by hand...I do have sand paper. Happy festooling and remember if you cut it correctly you wouldn't be sanding.

David Rose
05-07-2004, 1:06 AM
Mark, I will challenge anyone to get a surface as flat as you can by hand with them using any sort of hand held power sander. ;) At least I surely can't do it. If the surface needs to be critically flat, as for a high gloss finish I end up hand sanding. That may be a better arguement for duller finishes than for hand sanding. Don't know. :confused:

By "cut it correctly" you must mean doing it with some of those non-electron eating tools. I think you are trying to start something. Don't we need to use more electrons so that we can create more jobs? Besides, many of mine come from the source that supplies water to the trout that I desperately need to hunt on occasion. Also, it will be sweating season soon for those using the flint and steel type tools.

David

John,
I am still sanding by hand...I do have sand paper. Happy festooling and remember if you cut it correctly you wouldn't be sanding.

Mark Singer
05-07-2004, 8:06 AM
David,
I actually own a few sanders (no Fesstools). Don't tell anyone. I just enjoy giving John a little to think about...he is a good friend and I can't have him gloating about his toy without joking a bit. John won't read this ...it will be our secret. He is going to have to change his middle name to "Festool"...Try it it sounds pretty cute.

John Miliunas
05-07-2004, 8:12 AM
John,

Mark, believe it or not, I DO a fair amount of sanding by hand! Particularly on final finish sanding between clear coats. Just more control and "feel" to what needs to be done. I rarely sand to correct a cut. I've got that one all figured out: Buy material needed for project. Add 95% of total material for project in case something gets cut wrong. Heck, I've usually got 2 or 3% left over! :rolleyes: And yeah, I'll continue to enjoy my Festools! Thanks! :cool:

Byron Trantham
05-07-2004, 2:48 PM
I'm a one Festool shop as well. Next week I hope to order the planer. I can't wait! :D

John Miliunas
05-07-2004, 2:53 PM
I'm a one Festool shop as well. Next week I hope to order the planer. I can't wait! :D

Good for you, Byron! The planer looks to be a neat tool. I like the close side clearance on it and that funky "wavy" blade looks like it might be something really interesting to play with on "artsy-fartsy" pieces. Let us know how you like it! :cool:

Byron Trantham
05-07-2004, 3:03 PM
Good for you, Byron! The planer looks to be a neat tool. I like the close side clearance on it and that funky "wavy" blade looks like it might be something really interesting to play with on "artsy-fartsy" pieces. Let us know how you like it! :cool:

Ya John, I looked at those options but haven't figured out a need for them - yet. :cool: I can't wait to try it.

David Rose
05-07-2004, 3:41 PM
Mark, I'm sure glad you cleared that up! I won't tell a soul that doesn't already know. :D Hmmm... John Festool Miliunas... The old "Festus" on Gunsmoke was always one of my favorite characters. Do you think they are related? :eek:

David

David,
I actually own a few sanders (no Fesstools). Don't tell anyone. I just enjoy giving John a little to think about...he is a good friend and I can't have him gloating about his toy without joking a bit. John won't read this ...it will be our secret. He is going to have to change his middle name to "Festool"...Try it it sounds pretty cute.

John Miliunas
05-07-2004, 5:01 PM
Mark, I'm sure glad you cleared that up! I won't tell a soul that doesn't already know. :D Hmmm... John Festool Miliunas...

Hey! I resemble that remark! :D You guys just watch it.... ;) :cool:

David Rose
05-07-2004, 7:05 PM
Wow! You really do, John. I can see the Festus family resemblance all the way from here! :D

I was contemplating why I really did like the character that he played. His character was just plain "simple". His life and viewpoint was simple, direct, and usually fairly accurate! And watching him harass the doc... ;)

David

Hey! I resemble that remark! :D You guys just watch it.... ;) :cool:

Mark Singer
05-07-2004, 8:06 PM
Dave,
He is a Festus....a bit of Chester and with his recent purchase of that wedding gown ...a striking resemblence to Kitty....where there is smoke theres fire. Thats why we need Marshall Dylan....(thats me) to make sure the rest of you folk are behavin'

John Miliunas
05-07-2004, 9:56 PM
LOL! And I've even got a bit of a gimp in my one foot! No, I'm NOT bowlegged! :mad: And as for you, Marshall Dylan, you just never mind 'bout my wedding gown! Just a few more pounds and it'll fit jes fine! :cool:

David Rose
05-07-2004, 11:18 PM
Now I *am* confused! John got a new dress? Uh, you guys have me all wrong. I'm not "that" kind of guy. I mean, I really appreciate a nice figure in a pretty gown and all that, but I don't think John will fit that picture even if he loses 200 pounds! :eek: Mr. Drill'em you need to fix things already. Just in case, where's my silver bullet? Oh, wrong guy...

David

LOL! And I've even got a bit of a gimp in my one foot! No, I'm NOT bowlegged! :mad: And as for you, Marshall Dylan, you just never mind 'bout my wedding gown! Just a few more pounds and it'll fit jes fine! :cool: