PDA

View Full Version : Snow making

JohnT Fitzgerald
07-31-2008, 9:57 AM
Has anyone ever seen or used a 'snow making machine' in their back yard? I've though of making one - would be fun. but I also have been checking out the "SG" models from Snowathome....they look pretty cool.

Doug Shepard
07-31-2008, 10:11 AM
I haven't done that, and you didn't say why you want the snow. But if you live anywhere near an ice rink, you might be able to get some for free from the Zamboni scrapings. I used to frequently drive past a rink where the stuff is dumped in a pile at the side of the building. Yeah, it's ice but it looks like a big mound of snow.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-31-2008, 10:36 AM
Uh...John.....While the temps right now might make you desire snow, I think it's the wrong season to do it. You might start building the snow making equipment now so you'll be ready to produce that white Christmas should Mother Nature fail to support it.:rolleyes:

JohnT Fitzgerald
07-31-2008, 10:40 AM
Uh...John.....While the temps right now might make you desire snow, I think it's the wrong season to do it. You might start building the snow making equipment now so you'll be ready to produce that white Christmas should Mother Nature fail to support it.:rolleyes:

hahaha.....ok, maybe I should have been more specific. although I was only asking if anyone had experience - not if I should put it up now. I think they'd refer to it as 'rain' if I did it now. :)

the idea here is to get enough snow for the kids to go sledding (very gradual slope in part of my back yard), build snow fort, snow balls, etc. Just for those times when it's cold enough for snow, but mather nature is not cooperating....

Ken Fitzgerald
07-31-2008, 10:52 AM
John,

I remember seeing a show on the Discovery Channel about snow making. It seems to me it took a combination of water and high pressure air to create mist ....and of course cold air.

I would think getting the correct air and water configuration would be the most difficult thing to accomplish.

Mitchell Andrus
07-31-2008, 10:56 AM
Watch out for run-off when it melts. Gallons of water per square yard is likely to be huge, maybe double or tripple the gallonage of a normal snowfall. Your county or town may have a say as to the flow rate and quantity and point of entry to public waterways/roads. Satisfying the town engineer may be a hassle unless your out on the country.

Do you have a well?

Not trying to be a wet blanket, but I served on my town's planning board and I've seen some terribly though-out applications/concepts for just about anything you can imagine.

JohnT Fitzgerald
07-31-2008, 2:37 PM
these are good points, but I think we're OK. in general , our neighborhood has terrain that treats snowmelt OK. Also, we often get a lot of snow, so it's not like I'm introducing it where there usually is none. I do have a well that I normally use just for irrigation, and would likely consider that for my water source - although I'm sure the town would be more than happy to take my money for the added demand in the middle of the winter (summer months are usually their toughest to meet demand, but winter months are ok).

Mitchell Andrus
07-31-2008, 6:09 PM
and would likely consider that for my water source - although I'm sure the town would be more than happy to take my money for the added demand in the middle of the winter (summer months are usually their toughest to meet demand, but winter months are ok).

My sewer bill is based on my water bill.

Julie Rose
07-31-2008, 8:06 PM
re: making snow

I live in Northern Ontario (Canada).

Can I send you some of mine in a few months???

;)

~Julie~

Richard M. Wolfe
08-01-2008, 12:09 AM
I'll take two cones, please - grape and root beer.

JohnT Fitzgerald
08-01-2008, 12:55 PM
re: making snow

I live in Northern Ontario (Canada).

Can I send you some of mine in a few months???

;)

~Julie~

Please do! :) I also set up a small skating rink for the kids, and while we do get some prime skating weather, sometimes it's cold enough for snow w/out the actual precipitation - or we get some, and then it'll melt when we get a sudden 'warm' day. I wouldn't mind having a nice blanket of snow over most of my yard while the rest of the neighborhood looked desolate. Besides - I have a reputation for having all the 'toys' - gotta keep the rep up !