PDA

View Full Version : Iwf Show in atlanta

james mcgrew
07-31-2008, 7:25 AM
i am curious, are any of the members here going to iwf in august?

jim

Michael Kowalczyk
07-31-2008, 1:18 PM
I am going to try to go if I can break away from the shop.

Eric Mims
07-31-2008, 4:55 PM
I'll be there, but you already know that Jim.

Michael, can you tell me what is your opinion between ArtcamPro and EnroutePro in regards to puffing/relief operations, as well as making prismatic lettering, etc. I typically use Rhino, but it is a bear to do these types of operations.

Michael Kowalczyk
07-31-2008, 6:54 PM
I'll be there, but you already know that Jim.

Michael, can you tell me what is your opinion between ArtcamPro and EnroutePro in regards to puffing/relief operations, as well as making prismatic lettering, etc. I typically use Rhino, but it is a bear to do these types of operations.
Hey Eric,
Right now I prefer Artcampro. I like my posts in it better than Enroute.
The main thing I do not like about Artcampro is it's inability to allow for user defined variables for a ramp in/ramp out entry/exit option. Right now it has an option to zig zag down for entry but only allows a straight up retract. I design several products that require it and I have to do it manually now but it is a real pain when you want to do "what if's" or have several 100 of these entry/exits on a sheet. I do use sub routines sometimes for these also.

Haven't done much with prismatic letters yet cause no one has asked for them.

I have Rhino 4 trial version and looked at rhinocam pro because it has the ramp in/ramp out option but 5-6K for that option I can not justify. I know there are things that Rhino can do that neither ArtCampro or Enroute pro can do, and someday i hope to add Rhino5 to my plethora of programs. There is no single panacea program that I know of yet and if there was it would probably be 50K and up.

My suggestion is to look at both of them at IWF and bring some examples of artwork, on a USB stick, that you want to puff or etc... this way you can compare apples 2 apples instead of their canned presentations. As with any software it is what you are most comfortable with or what you were trained on that will usually have more weight on your decision. That's why I still like BobCad 21 actually more even though I have BobCad 22. I have been using Bobcad since mid 90's Version 16 or 17, when it was still a DOS program. I can do my what if's very fast compared to trying to do it in Autocad. There may be a keyboard shortcut that an ace autocad power user might come close to how I do it but I like the way I do it for now and don't want to learn another program right now when I don't see any advantage.

Believe me I have looked at most of them, CNC software packages, and each have their respective strengths and weaknesses. So you have to define what you specifically need and what can you justify. Since I do many different things on the CNC's from furniture, 3D carved entry doors, cabinets, Full 3D carved products, solid surface acrylic/polyester, HDPE, PVC, Lexan, MDF, Plywood, Solid wood, Melamine, signfoam/HDU and some other top secret formulas ;), I choose to have several programs. Each one has it's niche that I feel gives me the best results with the optimum efficiency.

One other thing to through in to the equation is are you doing this as your main source of income or just a hobby?
Most of the time but not always some of the higher end programs will allow you to go from concept to gcode faster than some of the inexpensive ones but I have seen some neat low budget programs like Vectric series. http://www.vectric.com/

So make sure you map out all the software vendors you are interested in and don't be afraid to look out side your budget. You may not be able to afford it, right now, but knowing what some of their capabilities are gives you something to move up to if you should need to.

IMHO It all depends on what you want to accomplish.

Eric Mims
07-31-2008, 7:38 PM
Thanks Michael for the detailed answer! I have been demoing the Vectric software for a while and Vcarve seems great for what it does, while Cut3d seems a little limited compared to the Rhinocam demo I have also been demoing. Rhinocam is supposed to have a new release out this month, or so they tell me. Mecsoft also made a program called Rhinoart for puffing volumes, but it sure seems cheesy and simplistic compared to Artcam videos I see.

Rhino can do so much stuff it's pretty crazy, and Rhinocam works pretty well (though the demo gives me fits sometimes, it is very powerful overall). I find it so incredibly easy to draft and make 3d shapes in Rhino, but it simply doesn't have the puffing type tools.. I wish it did. Check out the UDT transform tools in Rhino when you get time.. they are pretty awesome.

I hope to be full time working with it, as opposed to just hobby work. But, like you, I have a feeling at the end of the day, I will have more than one program. I will go to all the CAM companies and check them all out.. have a feeling I will get Vcarve regardless of what others I get... the paths seem smart and clean and things like tabs are super easy to add.

Eric

james mcgrew
08-02-2008, 10:49 PM
eric i have a full seat of bobcad and type 3 i will bring them to the show as i dont use either one of them (yet!) look forward to meeting you!!

josh was helping me with my new drivers on my older camaster and it went real smooth

jim

Michael Kowalczyk
08-03-2008, 9:59 PM
Hey James,
What version is type3?

james mcgrew
08-04-2008, 6:44 AM
i dont't know i have it installed on a computer at the shop, it less than a few months old though,

Michael Kowalczyk
08-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Hey Jim,
When you get a chance I would be curious as to which one and why you are not using it "Yet".

I tried one that I got off Ebay from Canada but it was an older Chinese version with English text being bootlegged. It was an older version and only suppose to be sold in Asia. I did get most of my $ back but what a hassle. Cost an extra $50.00 USD to get through customs because of UPS's custom's broker policy.

I also did the web demo for Type3 router. It has a lot of neat features but I could not justify 4-5K for a few neat features right now.

Thanks,

Brian Robison
08-04-2008, 2:39 PM
A friend of mine will be there for his company.
Stop in and say Hi. His name is Chris Montechet.
I probably botched the spelling!
https://myiwf2008.bdmetrics.com/portal/ViewCompany.aspx?id=4549517

Nancy Laird
08-04-2008, 2:53 PM
James, see this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=89351

james mcgrew
08-04-2008, 9:33 PM
thanks nancy, actually i will be at booth 6974 helping with the camaster cnc owners group, tony mac of vectric has said he will do a demo or two for us on the new vectric products. (vcarve pro, cut 3d) camaster has a new router that should be very helpfull to the small shop integrating cnc into an environment where many would have thought prohibitive (cost and learning curve) the machine on display has been ordered by another member of sawmill creek!!!

micheal, the type three seat was a gift from an australian friend of mine who was sent one by the chinese before he got his machine then he got two more with his router so he gave me one i have used the translated version and contacted type three in atl turns out it is legit and is the full boat they sell it to the chinese to include with thier products, i have found vcarve to do all of what i need so far and am always liiking to learn more, i am a cabinetmaker and have been married to cabnetware since 97,

i am fairly new to cnc and with all the voodoo around software i have treaded slowly to purchase, i will be shopping at the show!!

jim

this is my site
www.mcgrewwoodwork.com (http://www.mcgrewwoodwork.com)

www.camaster.com (http://www.camaster.com)

Michael Kowalczyk
08-14-2008, 6:05 PM
If any of you would like to meet and have the Best Fillet Mignon for dinner Thursday night after the show, let me know and I'll make the reservations. The place is called "Bones" and it is my benchmark to all others. It is "cut with a fork tender". Plan on $50-65.00+ per person but your taste buds will thank you and remember each bite.:D

I am going to try to get reservations around 6:30PM Thursday. I will have a car and will be staying in between Sandy Springs and Dunwoody area, just east of 400.

Check out the reviews and Zagot survey info.

http://www.bonesrestaurant.com/

Starting to drool, I mean salivate, I mean get hunger pains just thinking about it.;)
One week and counting.

james mcgrew
08-18-2008, 10:03 AM
mike, i hope i'll be able to meet you at iwf i am interested in file writing!!

bustin but to get ready will head to atl in am

james mcgrew
08-21-2008, 7:47 AM
tony mac and james booth are ggoing to give a seminar on vcarve and vector art 3d friday 2:00 pm booth 6974

all are welcome

jim