PDA

View Full Version : Mission style cabinets

Harold Piper
07-31-2008, 2:49 AM
I'm about ready to start building some kitchen cabinets, and do them in Mission style.What type of oak (red or white) would be best? Would you use plain sliced or quarter sawn? Also what type stain or dye should I use?

Thanks,
Harold

Jim Becker
07-31-2008, 6:21 AM
Typically, QS white oak is used for mission style...or cherry. At least by Stickely.

Gary Whitt
07-31-2008, 8:20 AM
You can use red oak if it's more readilly available but white oak is the "norm".

As for finish, Waterlox® on red oak gives a nice honey color.

Jerome Hanby
07-31-2008, 8:38 AM
We get a lot of Red Oak around here and I've got some Waterlox, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip!

You can use red oak if it's more readilly available but white oak is the "norm".

As for finish, Waterlox® on red oak gives a nice honey color.

Don Bullock
07-31-2008, 11:14 AM
Mission or Arts and Crafts cabinets were often built is a variety of different woods based on where the house was built unless the builder/home owner purchased them by mail order. Here in California much of the architectural detail in bungalows was douglas fir because it was readily available and has a distinctive grain pattern. Green & Green used mahogany in the homes they designed. Based on many of the ads for mail order firms that sold cabinets and architectural detail for homes during the Arts & Crafts period it looks like most of the items they sold were made from sold quarter sawn white oak. So, using wood is readily available, such as red oak, in your area is historically correct.