PDA

View Full Version : Incra Mitre Slider Versus Lee Valley UHMW Strip

Malcolm Wheeler
07-31-2008, 12:20 AM
Ok - there is only a ten dollar difference, but I was more worried about saw dust and crud jamming up the Incra slider. So the question is this - If I am building a jig why would I buy the incra slider instead of the lee valley plastic strip?

Here are some product links for reference...
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=32045&cat=1,43455

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3178&productid=14V59

Dewey Torres
07-31-2008, 1:16 AM
Dust does not jam up the Incra or it has never jammed up mine.
The main advantage of the Incra is that is is adjustable out of the box to provide a custom fit you miter slots. The plastic is great also but if you cut it too narrow you might be stuck with a sloppy fit which doesn't bode well for jigs. There is a way to make the plastic adjustable by cuting a very narow slit into it and adding a counter sink screw. The more you advance the countersink screw the wider the runner gets.

my .02

Andrew Thuswaldner
07-31-2008, 4:28 AM
I bought a piece of UHMW from Lee Valley for a cross cutting sled for my Delta table saw. I didn't use it because I found there was too much play in my miter slot.
Andrew

Greg Cole
07-31-2008, 8:40 AM
If you are going to go with UHMW, make it yourself to ensure a good fit. UHMW, PE 1000 or any of the other very similar blends all machine quite handily. Predrilling and countersinking need to be sized correctly or the plastic will mushroom up around screw heads etc.
I've used some Incra runners for a couple years now with no issues what so ever....

Greg

Rod Sheridan
07-31-2008, 9:01 AM
I've used both UHMW and metal runners in jigs and the both work well, if they fit the mitre slot.

However, I normally make my own out of quarter sawn hardwood. That way they fit exactly and I don't have stability issues.

Regards, Rod.

Jason Whelehon
07-31-2008, 9:23 AM
I love the incra since it uses cams to adjust the fit as opposed to set screws that, when used long enough etch groves into your saw :O.

$10 to me is nothing when it comes to woodworking, get the best you can afford.

Larry James
07-31-2008, 10:39 AM
I use both. I prefer the Incra because the are easy to install and adjust.

Incra work well and they are formed in the shape of a channel so dust has not been a problem. You need to drill holes in the sled for mounting and adjusted from above - that may be a consideration on some jigs, but works ok on crosscut TS sleds. I don't like the 3/32"(size?) allen screws they use for adjustment, but that should not usually be a problem. Worth the extra $$.

The UHWM is easy to work with, and works ok, but as noted by others, it must fit snugly and you can spend a lot of time making them work.

I recommend the Incra.

Larry